Clear All
  • monkey tennis
    "Kiss my face."
    • Jun 8, 2007

Were Daleks Nazi's

In GENESIS OF THE DALEKS there seems to be a big hint
    that Daleks were desendants of Nazi's.
    Was Hitler an Ancestor ?

Tom Baker is great in this episode...I haven't finished watching them all yet.
    Tom Baker "Can we have some Tea ?"

"I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

Terry Nation based the Kaleds on the nazis especially Nyder who is especially nasty and shares traits with gestapo stereotypes.
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• monkey tennis
      "Kiss my face."
      • Jun 8, 2007

There wasn't any story about Nazi's travelling to Scaro then ?

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
        • Nov 21, 2007

Nope...do you remember the kitkat advert where the daleks joined the hari christna's and followed them shouting "peace and love"...lol
        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• monkey tennis
          "Kiss my face."
          • Jun 8, 2007

Kit Kat Commercial - Peace and Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XznuoDdv-IM
          youtube Kit Kat

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
            • Nov 21, 2007

Excellent....well found sir....now find the Star Wars tunes ad...or the energisor Darth Vader ad

Comment

• monkey tennis
              "Kiss my face."
              • Jun 8, 2007

YouTube - Star Wars Tunes Advert
              youtube tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coIMe4u7fGg
              youtube Energizer Bunny

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Were Daleks Nazi's ?

Daleks were too cool

Not even close to being nasties

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

That's one of the things I didn't like about Genesis, Nation retconned the whole origin. I know that purists try to explain how it doesn't conflict with the first story but honestly, it does. People shouldn't give RTD so much grief considering.

Everything from the Kaled outfits to their mannerisms suggests the SS.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                    • Nov 21, 2007

Actually Nation always intended for the Daleks to be associated with the nazis...as he grew up in WWII he was constantly bombed during the blitz and wanted to create an enemy that was faceless like the luftwaffe and the nazis. It was only when telly had "grown up" enough that he pushed his parallell further to truely encapsulate the nazi like characteristics in "Genesis".

Comment

• drwhofan74
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 19, 2005

Originally posted by Bo8a_Fett
                      Actually Nation always intended for the Daleks to be associated with the nazis...as he grew up in WWII he was constantly bombed during the blitz and wanted to create an enemy that was faceless like the luftwaffe and the nazis. It was only when telly had "grown up" enough that he pushed his parallell further to truely encapsulate the nazi like characteristics in "Genesis".
                      He also created the Daleks at a time when the Cold War was in full swing, so the faceless beings who did not think for themselves indicate both Nazi and the building Communist threat of the 60's.
                      sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>That's one of the things I didn't like about Genesis, Nation retconned the whole origin. I know that purists try to explain how it doesn't conflict with the first story but honestly, it does.

I didn't find the changes really egregious. Daleks are a pretty simple concept; and it's possible that the events from the first episode develop from the ones portrayed in Genesis. With a little tweaking. (Except that Dalek technology is more advanced in Genesis than the original story that takes place later.) I think it helps that you don't see much of Skaro in between the two.

'Course; when you've got time travel it's easy to explain differences. Or not. Or maybe. (Have you seen "Blink" yet?)

>Everything from the Kaled outfits to their mannerisms suggests the SS.

I think almost every sci-fi show has space Nazis in it somewhere. Especially given the time, they're a pretty potent symbol of opression and "evil."

Don C.

Comment

• drwhofan74
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 19, 2005

Originally posted by ctc
                          >

I think almost every sci-fi show has space Nazis in it somewhere. Especially given the time, they're a pretty potent symbol of opression and "evil."
                          Good point. The Empire in Star Wars...
                          sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                            • Nov 21, 2007

There is some suggestion that "The Daleks"/"The Survivors"/"The Mutants" (however you wanna call the first..in the show..appearance of the daleks), is chronologically the final Dalek story showing the final end of the Daleks...the Empire receded back to Skaro and the Daleks themselves restricted to their city.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                              • Nov 21, 2007

From an Interview with Nation:
                              "Citing a childhood spent in Wales during World War II, Nation has said that he modeled the impersonal and unstoppable Daleks after the Nazis, seeing them as embodying "the unhearing, unthinking, blanked-out face of authority that will destroy you because it wants to destroy you."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎