X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
    That's my point. When it comes to the OT, people seem to overlook them.
    The OT has its share of flaws. But they do not out weigh or overshadow what works. You like the characters (Luke, Han, Leia, etc.) and want them to succeed. Luke turning in ROTJ would have been heart breaking because people love the character. He was conflicted, yes, but had so much good in him. You believe in Han and Leia's romance because they had chemistry. Anakin was an unlikable sociopath and had zero chemistry with Padme. When Han and Leia were together you believed she could fall for him. Anakin's stalker-ish behavior towards Padme made my skin crawl.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 9, '13, 2:21 AM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Here's what I wish:

Seriously, this is brilliant.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Here's what else I wish:

Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
          I have to respectfully disagree.

There is no tragic hero's fall from grace. There is no good in him and there is nothing to redeem. He is never shown to be anything but a self absorbed sociopath.
          I guess you didn't watch the same movie as I did.
          Let's see. A little boy and his mother live in slavery. They are bought and sold.
          He's just a little kid, and yes, they can all be little sh*ts and annoying at that age. Young Anakin is never mean, he's a typical boy from that age.
          Then he needs to move on, become a Jedi, and leave his mother in slavery, no questions asked. The Jedi feel this is a great way for a child to grow up. All he can think about is "why can't I save my Mom?", but they won't let him do anything, even when he becomes quite capable to do so.
          He also not allowed to have feelings for girls, I guess Yoda never picked up girls when he was, like, just 100 years old.

When he does find his mother, she's been beaten to a pulp by Sandpeople, and she dies. He snaps, because he (and the Jedi) could have saved her way before all that happened. Eventually, he joins the one person he thinks believes in him, Palpatine. Bad move (and not too skillfully executed by Lucas), but still a human mistake.

You make it seem as if he was a monster from day one.
          That is not true, and it's all in the prequels movies. Check them out again!
          Last edited by Gorn Captain; Nov 9, '13, 3:35 PM.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            I guess you didn't watch the same movie as I did.
            If you like the prequels, that's great, I would never tell you not to. I have zero problems with people liking the movies. My issue is that defenders of the prequels always throw out the same tired cliched cop-out that if people don't like them they must be jaded or overly critical. Which, like I said before, totally ignores that the movies could or do have legitimate issues and people can see the portrayal of the character of Anakin differently.

Being a SW fan can be a little frustrating for me at times. Because I often feel like I am stuck between two extremes. The Lucas can do no wrong and the Lucas ruined my childhood. I thought the prequels could have and should have been a lot better. The animated Clone Wars movie and series showed that they could have been great. There's good things in the prequels. Like Ewan McGregor's Obi Wan. But the good, to me, is out weighed by all the bad.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
              If you like the prequels, that's great, I would never tell you not to. I have zero problems with people liking the movies. My issue is that defenders of the prequels always throw out the same tired cliched cop-out that if people don't like them they must be jaded or overly critical. Which, like I said before, totally ignores that the movies could or do have legitimate issues and people can see the portrayal of the character of Anakin differently.
              That's not really an answer to my statement that Anakin was never a sociopath to begin with, and that "the monster" (in my opinion) was basically created by a lot of the Jedi "rules", only to be enhanced by Palpatine's manipulation.

I'm also not a defender of the prequels, who is blind to their faults. I totally loved the OT. I liked a lot of parts of the PT, and hated some parts of the PT (such as most of the things they did to R2 and C3PO). The second part of Clones was very weak, for example, and my least favorite SW film.
              I never said people who dislike the prequels are jaded or overly critical, because in some instances I agree, that for example Lucas was not the right man to direct these movies. He had too many toys and too little substance.
              I feel that for the next trilogy, we are in more capable hands, and I'm looking forward to them. Should they turn out to be bad, I'll say that once I've seen them.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                That's not really an answer to my statement that Anakin was never a sociopath to begin with
                I don't have an answer for you that you would want. We are on two different pages about the character of Anakin. I never saw any good in him. He never was more than a self important, self absorbed sociopath to me. We are going to have to agree to disagree on the character.

Comment

• Chippupperty
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 5, 2004

I just see movies to enjoy them.......prequels......sequals....or anything.....being a big Batman fan, those sure have been picked apart, but might as well try to get something for my dollar

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

Can't wait for this
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

I'm looking forward to this next series of films. I think they're int he hands of a really imaginative director that knows how to balance the bulk of the legacy with some new wrinkles..ahem...no pun intended.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎