X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Star Trek the Original Series on DVD...

What is available on DVD? Is it the "New" versions with the updated Special Effects that was TV a few years ago or are the "Original" versions still available. I have them on Laserdisc...I think I am missing 1 or 2 LD's on the series. Can anyone make a comparison of VHS/Beta/Laserdisc version vs the DVD? I know a lot of the companies take short cuts these days when it comes to putting out DVD's and some tend to edit shows. Or they tend to get their hands on what they thought was a master and it ended up being a 2nd generation edit of the shows. Thanks to anyone who can make sense of my questions.
  • Jason73
    Correctamundo!
    • Jan 11, 2009

The DVD sets are the original versions without the updated effects and are slightly better quality than the VHS versions.. If you want the updated effects you'll need to get the BluRay sets.
    Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I have the DVD sets in the colored plastic cases. The episodes are the original versions, and I don't believe there are any cuts. The quality is top notch.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Jason73
        The DVD sets are the original versions without the updated effects and are slightly better quality than the VHS versions.. If you want the updated effects you'll need to get the BluRay sets.
        Definitely want the original version of the series...I just didn't know if the original versions were still available. Thanks.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

the DVD sets that are in clear plastic outer cases have the special versions. the Blu ray sets have both versions so you get the best of both worlds.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

because of MeTV i'm getting used to the updated CGI effects versions

I still think they look like lousy computery CGI but I am getting used to them

Comment

• mazinz
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by Jason73
              Not true, the remastered new effect versions were released on the 2008 edition dvds of the show.
              check the link below: If you want the untouched original show you need the bright yellow/blue and red egg crate like sets (also shown at the bottom of the link page- those are the 2004 dvd versions). The remastered dvd ones look way more tech and can be seen in the first listings of the link

I was after the untouched originals and almost got duped into getting the newer effect versions

here is the link:
              http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=2650303011
              Last edited by mazinz; Jun 1, '13, 7:28 PM.
              "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

A friend of mine told me that the soundtracks & sound effects have been changed for stereo in the season collections in the bright color boxes. The first DVD releases, in the 2 episodes per disc releases, have the original mono soundtracks.

Comment

• mego73
                  Printed paperboard Tiger
                  • Aug 1, 2003

All DVD releases have a remixed stereo soundtrack for the episodes. The blu ray made the original mono track available for the first time since VHS.

I am quite glad the blu ray has both versions.

[email protected]

Comment

• bleit1701
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 1, 2009

I have the 1st season in original format and the 2nd remastered. I liked what they did with Doomsday Machine.

Still have to get season 3 in any format.

The "orignals" are still available but I believe they are not being produced any more.
                    Better late than never.....

Comment

• mazinz
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by johnmiic
                      A friend of mine told me that the soundtracks & sound effects have been changed for stereo in the season collections in the bright color boxes. The first DVD releases, in the 2 episodes per disc releases, have the original mono soundtracks.
                      Originally posted by mego73
                      All DVD releases have a remixed stereo soundtrack for the episodes. The blu ray made the original mono track available for the first time since VHS.

I am quite glad the blu ray has both versions.

The first 2004 sets have both a 2.0 and bull**** 5.1 stereo tracks. Obviously the 5.1 track is going to have added crap, but I am curious because the 2.0 might have just been a general channel mono to stereo conversion so in that sense nothing was really changed. When watching them it did not have any out of the ordinary sounds that I picked up listening to the regular 2.0 track
                      "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• mego73
                        Printed paperboard Tiger
                        • Aug 1, 2003

Both the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks on the two per discs versions are remixed. They kept to the original sound effects for the most part but there are times when the music cue is wrong (Menagerie part 2 title card) and while they (first season especially) were sporadic on when they added the ship's noise to exterior Enterprise shots, the remixes has ship's noise on all exterior shots.

[email protected]

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I asked this here awhile ago aand was directed to the earliest, 2-per-disk sets, as being "closest" to the originals.

I snagged a set on evilbay & really enjoy them. For me, at any rate, they are the ST: TOS that I watched in reruns as a kid.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                            Banned
                            • Jun 23, 2001

Same here. I think the only one of the post original series I would want is Voyager. I think I will go the route of buying the Columbia House VHS set and then transferring them. Cheaper than buying the DVD sets.

Comment

• mego73
                              Printed paperboard Tiger
                              • Aug 1, 2003

I think the more cost effective and less labor intensive route would be to just get the colored caddy case version, which can be gotten from secondary sellers for I seen as low as about $30 a season. The soundtrack remixes aside (and pretty much only a long time fan who got the shows memorized, like me can tell the occasional difference) they are the original versions.

But you can get them cheap if you get them all together ($170 for all 7 seasons from secondary sellers).

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                              Same here. I think the only one of the post original series I would want is Voyager. I think I will go the route of buying the Columbia House VHS set and then transferring them. Cheaper than buying the DVD sets.
                              Last edited by mego73; Jun 2, '13, 10:18 PM.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎