Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

I'm a longtime fan of the 007 films but not the books. The first movie that I ever saw in a theatre was "Live and Let Die", which was also my first 007 movie. I've watched all the 007 films over the years, even owned them a few times. Roger Moore was not James Bond. Like a previous poster recalled, Moore did claim to play Bond for laughs. I believe he said that when "For Your Eyes Only" was released. "Moonraker" like most all of the Moore films was horrible. Drax was a fine villain but we've seen his kind before. Jaws was formidible as a henchman but became a clown. Dr. Goodhead was the only decent thing about "Moonraker" but she had to deliver that horrible line at the end of the movie "Take me around the world again, James." Gah. The Moore movies were basically parodies of themselves and the entire 007 legacy.

And since everyone else is doing it, my Top 5 007 movies:
    1. Goldfinger
    2. Thunderball
    3. Goldeneye
    4. Live and Let Die
    5. Dr. No
    Scott

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

This might be blasphemy, but I never liked ....

1. From Russia With Love

2. Dr No

3. Thunderball

4. For Your Eyes Only

I thought they were actually kind of boring.

BTW,
      The first Bond I ever seen in the theatre was Live and Let Die too
      Thought it was FANTASTIC !!!

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by livnxxxl
        My thoughts exactly. I still prefer Roger Moore over Sean Connery. I cannot stand to hear that guy (Sean Connery) talk during the movie. It just ruins the whole movie for me when he opens his mouth to speak. I absolutely refuse to watch his movies. Roger Moore was pretty cool IMO regardless of what all of the Bond heads say.
        You are completely nuts.

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

...I meant that in a good way btw.

sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by type1kirk
            This might be blasphemy, but I never liked ....

1. From Russia With Love

2. Dr No

3. Thunderball
            Blasphemer!!!!!!! A Thousand lashes too you!!!!

Comment

• grayhank
              That Fisher Price Guy
              • Feb 9, 2007

Originally posted by Airdave817
              Roger Moore was pretty suave and debonair as Bond, but not my favorite. Too dependent on gadgets than ingenuity. I think his Bond is the closest comparison to Bruce Wayne. I think My favorite of his was The Spy Who Loved Me. Wasn't that the one with Jane Seymour? Yeah, man!
              Nope Jane Seymour was in Live And Let Die as the tarot card reading "Solitaire".

I liked all the Bond Actors except for George Lazenby. The one thing I do find funny about the "die hard" Connory fans is nobody ever mentions his return to the Bond role in "Never Say Never Again" (one of the worst of the Bond films IMHO). Connory was either very unmemorable or "Octopussy" was the better film being released only a few short months before Connory's return to the role.

Then Moore returned in A View To A Kill. I always think of Grace Jones as the villain in that one...not Chris Walken. But I do cringe at the sight of Tonya Roberts screaming on the back of the firetruck. Worst Bond scene of all time.
              Last edited by grayhank; Mar 9, '08, 11:25 PM.
              Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Never Say Never Again had many obstacles, one of the main one was that they couldn't use the Bond theme music...that was a big blow to that production.

...and you could see Connery's heart was not into it...he was past prime for that role.

I thought George Lazenby was a GREAT Bond, and his film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, is one of the very best Bond films of all times...oh...and it had the gorgeous and delicious Diana Rigg as well.

The worst Bond for me was Timothy Dalton...he had ZERO personality, no sophistication, not suave at all...he was just a very vengeful and angry Bond...he was all wrong for the role.
                sigpic

Comment

• Cardzilla
                  • Nov 25, 2007

You are absolutely right about "Never Say Never Again" and Sean Connery. Don't get me wrong, I love Sean Connery as Bond but it was past his prime.

On the other hand, I believe George Lazenby would have made one of the best Bonds had he made more Bond movies. I don't recollect why he only made one movie. Any ideas ?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by livnxxxl
                    My thoughts exactly. I still prefer Roger Moore over Sean Connery. I cannot stand to hear that guy (Sean Connery) talk during the movie. It just ruins the whole movie for me when he opens his mouth to speak. I absolutely refuse to watch his movies. Roger Moore was pretty cool IMO regardless of what all of the Bond heads say.
                    You probably prefer Sammy Hagar over David Lee Roth, too. I never found Moore believable for one second. Either as and action hero or a ladie's man.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Cardzilla
                      . I don't recollect why he only made one movie. Any ideas ?
                      I remember reading somewhere George Lazenby was incredibly hard to get along with on the set.

The producers and production couldn't wait to get the film in the can so they can hurry up and fire him.

The article made it sound like he was a real pain in the ***.
                      Last edited by Mikey; Mar 10, '08, 4:29 AM.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                        Megoholic RocketScientist
                        • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        You probably prefer Sammy Hagar over David Lee Roth, too. I never found Moore believable for one second. Either as and action hero or a ladie's man.
                        No, Actually I do like David Lee Roth over Sammy as long as we are talking Van Halen that is. I cannot help it that I have such great taste in Bond actors.
                        Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Vortigern99
                          Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                          • Jul 2, 2006

Originally posted by Hector
                          Never Say Never Again had many obstacles, one of the main one was that they couldn't use the Bond theme music...that was a big blow to that production.

...and you could see Connery's heart was not into it...he was past prime for that role.

I thought George Lazenby was a GREAT Bond, and his film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, is one of the very best Bond films of all times...oh...and it had the gorgeous and delicious Diana Rigg as well.

The worst Bond for me was Timothy Dalton...he had ZERO personality, no sophistication, not suave at all...he was just a very vengeful and angry Bond...he was all wrong for the role.
                          Never Say Never was also working from the screenplay for Thunderball, since that was the only Bond project the makers had the rights to do. It suffers in that regard and is somewhat underwhelming, but it isn't a bad movie the way the execrable Spy Who Loved Me or Moonraker are bad movies.

I agree that Lazenby and Majesty's Secret Service were both great. The action sequences are top-notch, with a bite to them that all the Moore movies lack (except maybe Your Eyes Only).

But Hector, Timothy Dalton has suave and sophistication to spare! It's just the movies surrounding him that are uninspired and flaccid. His turn in Flash Gordon is so debonair (if admittedly angry) that you have to wonder what went wrong with Daylights and License. It was like he was a place-holder until the producers figured out what they were doing.
                          Last edited by Vortigern99; Mar 11, '08, 1:29 PM.

Comment

• Action Martin
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 30, 2007

I've always liked Timothy Dalton. Dalton was saddled with two poorly written & acted movies. However, his portrayal of Bond was IMO closest to Fleming's Bond.
                            Scott

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

You guys are right, I was a bit harsh on Dalton, he is a solid actor...but his Bond was written too angrily IMO...too vengeful.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

I like Dalton a lot .....

But not as Bond ....

Kill me, but my fav Bond was probably Roger Moore...

I loved how he made fun of the franchise and didn't take things too seriously..
                                You can tell he was having fun, so we all did too.
                                Watch Connery in Diamonds are Forever--- at that time he finally started having fun too and you can see it.

Diamonds is a very under-rated Bond.
                                It's when Connery finally loosened up... but by that time it was too late.

Lazenby was just too stiff.
                                Her Majesty was a great story, but Lazenby had no charisma.
                                Last edited by Mikey; Mar 11, '08, 5:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎