The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wha? No one's talking about the latest Star Trek trailer?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

>How in the 2200's do they know or remember Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum?

This one I MIGHT be able to answer, with two choices:

-after WW3, you'd see a deterioration of overall tech level; meaning the more recent stuff would be harder for the survivours to maintain.... at least for a while. Strictly digital copies of stuff would be lost, as would anything requiring really advanced equipment to read. So you'd have a HUGE culture gap, where entertainment from the immediate pre-war era would be scant, but the farther back the more would survive. (Although realistically this would put things earlier than OUR time. Books, LP's, pictures filmstrips.... those would be more likely to survive; meaning it'd be more likely for them to refer to themselves as Starsky and Hutch than Smith and Goldblum.)

-Yesterday's pop culture is today's nostalgia; and tomorrow's classic.... IF it survives. The law of averages means the more stuff you do, the more likely it gets remembered and subsequently elevated to cultural icon. 'Course that'd mean they should have called themselves Will Smith and Seth Rogen, since those guys are in EVERYTHING!

Don C.

Comment

• Klosterheim
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 23, 2013

Thanks, Don!

That is an excellent and wonderful reply.

I did not think of those factors.

It could also explain why Tom Paris is an expert in 20th Century pop culture.

One thing that I liked about Seaquest is the captain was born in 1973,
      so all his references of the past made sense.

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
        why does everybody in new movies always jump off really tall things ?

It's sooooo cliche
        They can't help themselves. Everyone wants to top the last guy with the "scope" and "scale" of their cinematic imagery.

I hate it.

ESPECIALLY in movies like the Trek reboot, where I felt like I was being manipulated by "big things" onscreen so as to make me believe that it was a great movie.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Klosterheim
          Thanks, Don!

That is an excellent and wonderful reply.

I did not think of those factors.
          I'm sure there are quite a few other ways to explain that as well. But Don's factors are solid, so I'll leave it at his choices.

But I'll add from a WRITER'S perspective that I'm sure that THOUSANDS of people would have viewed that Into Darkness scene and thought of Smith/Goldblum ANYWAY... so, why not diffuse that moment with a joke at the movie's expense? Heck, it may be the smartest script choice they make with Into Darkness.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• mego73
            Printed paperboard Tiger
            • Aug 1, 2003

Ugh... auto correct killed me. No, they didn't say that. I am saying the scene made me think of that. Auto correct is a jealous mistress.

Originally posted by Klosterheim
            Please tell me that's not true.

How in the 2200's do they know or remember Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum?

Magic Carpet Ride in First Contact was even a stretch.

Music of great-grandfathers.

btw, Earth stop making new movies by Enterprises time?

They must ban movies and television by Kirk's time, due to J.J. Abrams and his imitators.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎