Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I like the look of it. It has a sort of old school Buster Crabbe thing going on.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

If that's what it actually looks like, I'm fine with it. I expected much worse.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by ABMAC
        The engine nacelles on the Enterprise were the '60s spaceship equivalent of giant tailfins on a '50s Cadillac.
        Really? I thought the 1960's, Classic Enterprise was pretty no frills. If you look at the E from ST-TMP it seems they really over-stylized it in the 1970's. Compare that to the designs fo the 1980's Excelsior and 1701-D which reject stylish look for a more streamlined, functional look.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I'll never forget a comment my buddy made years ago about the different Enterprise styles.

He said,
          The Classic Enterprise is a Ford
          The Movie Enterprise is a Chevy
          The Next Gen Enterprise is a foreign import

Not sure what he ment, but it still makes me laugh

Comment

• jds1911a1
            Alan Scott is the best GL
            • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by type1kirk
            If it's an artists rendition of what the 1701 Enterprise might look like in the future of Scott Bakula's series, i'd say it's quite nice.

If this is a picture of the NEW MOVIE'S 1701 Enterprise, I say --- the movie is dead in the water.

If they use this version, does that mean CBS is going to RE-RE-due all their special edition CGI crap on the classic series ?

Where does it end ?
            Actually it won't even work for that they had a classic series ship in the mirror univers elisode of enterprise (the one flost just before the opening of Tholian Web) that fell back in time from the standard trek universe into the mirror one

Overall it still evokes everything I expect from a Constellation (or is it Constituton I can never keep them straight) class starship. I like it ALOT better than the new BSG battlestars and Vipers

Comment

• jds1911a1
              Alan Scott is the best GL
              • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by ABMAC
              Shape and size don't matter if a structure is stationary in outer space, but attaching engines to it forces you to have to deal with a different set of constraints: inertia, the center of mass, structural stability, etc.

The engine nacelles on the Enterprise were the '60s spaceship equivalent of giant tailfins on a '50s Cadillac.
              Actually trek addressed this in the one of the shows (TNG??) the Nacells "bounce" the warp field between them to generate the "thrust" field so they are elevated as far away from the rest of the ship as they could "warp" the hull. And they use force fields to offset the stresses on the hull

Comment

• livnxxxl
                Megoholic RocketScientist
                • Oct 23, 2007

Nice picture. It looks great to me. Then again what do I know I am not a huge Trekkie fan I just collect Mego's.
                Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• davidb
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 9, 2007

To be honest, they may both be legit. I've heard that they originally redesigned the Enterprise pretty heavily (like in the first pic) only to be told by the studio they had to follow the original show more closely (like in the second).

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

The second pic is directly from the film's first trailer, so yes, it's legit. The first pic is from an artist who has worked on some previous Trek incarnations (and created this ship design for fun), but the new film isn't one of them. He has nothing to do with the design of the ship in the film, as he said himself in the interview I linked earlier.

Comment

• Captain
                      Fighting the good fight!
                      • Jun 17, 2001

Theres a few schools of thought on these pictures....First (and the one I hope is true) is that this is a hoax picture by Gabriel Korner (geeky Trek kid from Trekkies). It is very similar to one he did for the Ships of the Line Trek calendar last year.

Other school of thought is that it is the movie Enterprise, but once the 2 Spocks correct the time line, we go back to our classic Enterprise.(There are reports that Paramount/CBS stepped in and insisted the classic design (movie or tv) be used.

There is another, somewhat tamer (less ...stuff...on the outside) version of this ship floating around as well.

Even though I really hope this isnt the movie Enterprise, its primary hull and warp nacelles very closely match the ones featured in the teaser promo out now. I had hoped with Nimoy involved the new stuff would be closer to our old classic....Looking more and more like I'm wrong. Is this a bad thing?....I am struggling with that one. At its core, Star Trek is about the new, the unknown, discovery (inner and outer)....the future and what it holds. Yes, things change, but change isnt necessarily a bad thing. Change can bring growth and enlightenment.(I was going to quote Kirks speech from Return to Tomorrow, but you all know it anyways!)
                      It seems somewhat silly to be a fan of a show that embodies these thoughts and concepts, and then turn around and complain and dig my heels in because Trek itself is going through this very same process. Still....they're messing with something thats been established, and a part of my life for as long as I can remember...and I dont like it...No sir..I dont like it at all!
                      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I don't hate the first pic. It's not really that different from the original design. This one just looks... busier. Which is the current attitude for science-fictional type hardware: make it really bumpy with lots of plates and stuff sticking out.

Meh.

>The original Enterprise always looked fragile and, frankly, illogical.

Oh yeah! But that's what I liked about it. The design REALLY stood out. It was unique; and I like unique.

As for fragility; that's one of the advantages of using super-science: you can make stuff look however you want. A trekkie friend of mine pointed out that what ACTUALLY held the ship together when it moved were "integrity fields;" dedicated force fields reinforcing the breakable bits. Makes sense, at "warp" speeds most materials wouldn't hold together so good anyhoo. (Unless you made them out of "unobtanium." Trek went the other way.)

And before anyone asks; no I DON'T care about realism. I much prefer internal consistency. If realism was a big deal I wouldn't watch a show where every alien in the universe seems to speak perfect English.

Don C.

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

I was reading a thread over at Starshipbuilder.com and they say the photo is that of Gabe Konner's design but not officially being used in the new film. They also note that the ship in the trailer still resembles Gabe's design quite a bit. So they're not sure what is going on. Perhaps the artist on the new Trek film used Gabe's render as a springboard.

Now I might be wrong but I think if you look at that clip in the trailer of the front view this new Enterprise is 2x's larger than the classic versions. I think the area under where the bridge is has a line dividing it into 2 decks where usually it is only 1 deck. Also the people working on the hull seem much smaller than when the main characters walked out on the hull in ST-TMP. The round warp engines also seem to be way oversized. I don't see people on the saucer per se but in the other shots they seem small.
                          Last edited by johnmiic; Jan 27, '08, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by raider5gt
                            I like it,the 1st pic,it looks kind of mean looking :terror
                            I was going to say the very same thing...it looks muscular and tough as heck.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

TrekWeb.com - Gabe KoernerMistaken For New U.S.S. Enterprise NCC 1701

Comment

• garagesale
                                Dept. of Mego Studies
                                • Aug 8, 2006

This is actually not from the new movie, but a photo of the UFO seen over Stephenville, Texas recently.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎