X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

John Carter arrives on DVD June 5th!

All 3 versions, regular, Blu-Ray and 3D version will be out June 5th. Judging from the DVD covers Disney still has not learned their lessons. They just phoned it in. Dumb-azzes! I will be sure to get my copy regardless.

Reviews of the film on Amazon are overwhelmingly positive. I really hope the DVD sales save the reputation of this film. I really enjoyed it.

DVD features, (per barsoomia.org):

• Blu-ray 3D™
    • Blu-ray™ Feature Film + Bonus
    • DVD Feature Film + Bonus
    • Digital Copy of Feature Film
    • Disney Second Screen — Explore John Carter’s journal with this innovative in-world experience and uncover a trove of fascinating details that extend the mythology of the movie
    • 360 Degrees of John Carter — Experience every aspect of the filmmaking process on one of the movie’s biggest production days
    • Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by Director Andrew Stanton
    • Barsoom Bloopers
    • 100 Years in the Making — Follow the journey of Edgar Rice Burroughs’s Story, from its origins as a pulp novel to its arrival onscreen
    • Audio Commentary with Filmmakers

So why not put Lynn Collins on the cover? Don't they think a pretty face would help sales? She was fantastic in this role!

There is also an online petition to get Disney to make more John Carter sequels. I think it's unlikely but why not add a comment and let them know how bad they F'd up the marketing for the film?

http://www.change.org/petitions/rich...ack-to-barsoom
  • spacecaps
    Second Mouse
    • Aug 24, 2011

Now I'm really glad I didn't see this in the theaters. Just have to wait a month and I can check it out from the Redbox for a buck. Thanks for the bad marketing Disney!
    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

I thought it was really good on the big-screen. Really enjoyable even if the theater was nearly empty both times I saw it.

According to this article the sequels have been outlined. A trillogy was the plan from the beginning and the script for Part II has been started. The question is will Disney bite? A Facebook page to coax Disney into more sequels has also been started.

Fans of John Carter campaign for sequel as Disney's Martian sci-fi epic tops UK box office and makes $100m worldwide - Coventry Telegraph - The Geek Files
      Last edited by johnmiic; Apr 18, '12, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• spacecaps
        Second Mouse
        • Aug 24, 2011

Originally posted by johnmiic
        I thought it was really good on the big-screen. Really enjoyable even if the theater was nearly empty both times I saw it.

According to this article the sequels have been outlined. A trillogy was the plan from the beginning and the script for Part II has been started. The question is will Disney bite? A Facebook page to coax Disney into more sequels has also been started.

Fans of John Carter campaign for sequel as Disney's Martian sci-fi epic tops UK box office and makes $100m worldwide - Coventry Telegraph - The Geek Files
        I don't get blown away like I used to from seeing a movie on the big screen. I'm not a fan of 3d and I think the price for the Imax experience is insane. My entertainment system at home is pretty nice. I paid a lot for it so I like to use it and if I get it a film on blu-ray, half the time, it's better than a movie theater. I mean I show up for "event movies" like a Harry Potter film but the days of me seeing everything on opening night in the theater are over.

Disney treats movies like Sega treated their game systems. Once they tank, they abandoned ship. There have been plenty of movies recently with planned sequels that never materialized onto the screen due to poor sales from the first film. The Golden Compass was supposed to be a three parter but was so awful number two never got a chance. Lemony Snicket was another one that didn't get past the first film and it looks like the Narnia films aren't going to get all the books turned into films because the sequels are struggling. The way John Carter did, I would think it be a no but that doesn't mean Disney won't make it with a lower budget or sell the rights to another studio.
        "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 14, 2012

Wow, that cover looks like a ten minute Photoshop.

Why do they keep sabotaging their own movie?

I'll buy it regardless.
          Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 14, 2012

Originally posted by spacecaps
            I don't get blown away like I used to from seeing a movie on the big screen. I'm not a fan of 3d and I think the price for the Imax experience is insane. My entertainment system at home is pretty nice. I paid a lot for it so I like to use it and if I get it a film on blu-ray, half the time, it's better than a movie theater.
            Same here (although I have the 3D option). I dislike cinemas because, to me, the smell of popcorn is indistinguishable from incontinent old men.

The cinemas will eventually go the way of the dodo, the bookstores and the video-hire shops. Worldwide releases of movies will occur via download to the home. They'll probably make a lot more money that way too.
            Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I've seen Disney put more effort into the box art of their movie club exclusive discs...and that's not saying much.

I look forward to watching it, based on good word of mouth here. But I was never all that interested in seeing it in theaters. Disney's marketing team should be overhauled for this movie's failure.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Saw it in IMAX 3D, loved it, looking forward to the Blu ray... especially the deleted scenes.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• johnnystorm
                  Hot Child in the City
                  • Jul 3, 2008

I thought the film was great, the marketing was horrible though. And you are correct, a few more shots of the Princess of Mars would NOT have hurt at all!
                  Disney is all ABOUT Princesses....you would think adding another one to their roster would have been a no-brainer. I'm sure they could have sold a couple hundred thousand dolls of Dejah Thoris. Maybe they were too afraid she'd beat the snot out of Cindy & Snow?

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

I will definitely watch it on DVD. I presume the early release to DVD is an attempt to recover some of the huge writedown taken from the box office bomb. This is the new "Water World" which I think is a really good movie personally. I'm kind of in the same camp in that I generally don't see movies at the theater unless it is a really big deal to me or my kids. The only movie I have seen this year was "The Hunger Games" mainly because my daughter wanted to see it after reading the trilogy.
                    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>Why do they keep sabotaging their own movie?
                      >I'll buy it regardless.

I believe you've answered your own question....

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                        I thought the film was great, the marketing was horrible though. And you are correct, a few more shots of the Princess of Mars would NOT have hurt at all!
                        Disney is all ABOUT Princesses....you would think adding another one to their roster would have been a no-brainer. I'm sure they could have sold a couple hundred thousand dolls of Dejah Thoris. Maybe they were too afraid she'd beat the snot out of Cindy & Snow?
                        Princess of Mars is not a bad title at all in my opinion, if they didn't wan't to go with Warlord of Mars.

It baffles me to no end why there wasn't some attempt to not only go the Princess route, but promote some of the romance in the film as well to try and cultivate a female audience with a kickass heroine. There is no reason why Dejah Thoris can't be the new Slave Leia on the convention cosplay circuit.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• kennermike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 4, 2007

maybe I will see it Blu Ray?? thats a big maybe???

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I'm sorry I missed it in the theatre, I cannot wait to check it out.

PS the covers are really weak.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

My kids watch the Disney channels, and promotions for this film were very scarce. Only after it hit theaters with a thud did any kind of promos increase.

On the other hand, they have been promoting the Avengers with cast interviews, etc. So it's not the rating that scared them off.

Meanwhile, Treasure Buddies and other cheapy direct-to-video films get constant pushes. It's mind-boggling.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎