Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So whatever happen to the NEW Bionic Woman ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Twenty years from now the new one will seem campy and mediocre too.
    Maybe not, there is some intentional camp in the original series, it can't be avoided. Every series gets dated but your original content is important.

No; but the camaraderie and weird mysticism did. The big robot guys with the one eye that went "wubwubwub" helped too.
    Personally, I miss the capes most of all. The mysticism is a big part of the new series, it's actually more in depth in ways that would have had the ABC censors frothing. I do think the original cylons were superior to the cgi ones on the new series.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

I actually like Bionic Woman, they're showing it here right now. Was looking forward to a new season
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Bionic Woman got better as it went along...just not quick enough it seems.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>Bionic Woman got better as it went along...just not quick enough it seems.

Hmmmm.... y'know ANY seires gets better as it goes along, because you start building up a history and a continuity. (Well; maybe not ANY seires; but a lot of them.) Trick is to use that buildup.

>Maybe not, there is some intentional camp in the original series, it can't be avoided. Every series gets dated but your original content is important.

I really do think the new Galactica will sorta fade into nostalgia. Yeah, your original concept is important; but the new Galactica doesn't have anything that's new and limited to itself. The stories, the characters, the imagery, the designs.... they're all pretty standard stuff. It sounds kinda simplistic (and really it IS) but for a show to really live on and make an impact there's got to be some little thing that really sticks with folks. And not of the "it's very well done" variety. That's more of an academic review and not a personal connection.

And it doesn't have to be a BIG thing! Sometimes the smallest things come to encapsulate a person's entire experience with a show. That "wubwubwub" noise the original Cylons made. Play it and most folks will immediately recognize it. The "dodododododo" noise original bionics made from the Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman shows has the same effect. Talking wheels? Most folks 'aint gonna think of "My Mother the Car." (Although some weirdo will....) "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!" "I love it when a plan comes together!" "Dammit Jim; I'm a doctor!"

New shows are WAY too self concious. Ther'es an incredible amount of effort put to making them "well;" but in doing so they suck out everything that makes a show "entertaining." Be sure to have the requisite amount of betrayal and romance; but a catch phrase? Hackery! I suspect one reason "Lost" is so popular is 'cos they're just doing stuff; stuff that's counter-intuitive in a lot of cases. No resolution, pile more on. Mix the supernatural and the sci-fi. Throw in a lot of strange characters. Make non-sequitur your friend. HAVE PEOPLE HIDE FROM FEET!!!!!

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

I really do think the new Galactica will sorta fade into nostalgia. Yeah, your original concept is important; but the new Galactica doesn't have anything that's new and limited to itself. The stories, the characters, the imagery, the designs.... they're all pretty standard stuff. It sounds kinda simplistic (and really it IS) but for a show to really live on and make an impact there's got to be some little thing that really sticks with folks. And not of the "it's very well done" variety. That's more of an academic review and not a personal connection.
            I think the new Galatica is involving, engaging, drama and will be well remembered. It's not apples to apples to compare shows from when there were 3 networks to now though, it's much harder to make that sort of impact. I mean, many people can sing the Love Boat theme too, is that a good thing?

And it doesn't have to be a BIG thing! Sometimes the smallest things come to encapsulate a person's entire experience with a show. That "wubwubwub" noise the original Cylons made. Play it and most folks will immediately recognize it. The "dodododododo" noise original bionics made from the Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman shows has the same effect. Talking wheels? Most folks 'aint gonna think of "My Mother the Car." (Although some weirdo will....) "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!" "I love it when a plan comes together!" "Dammit Jim; I'm a doctor!"
            When I said "I miss the capes" I meant it, my one complaint about most modern science fiction is the lack of theatricality. It has it advantages as much of it has fallen into cliche but occasionally it's fun to see things go a bit "disco". Doctor Who is the only one I've seen in a long time to keep those kind of things intact.

New shows are WAY too self concious. Ther'es an incredible amount of effort put to making them "well;" but in doing so they suck out everything that makes a show "entertaining." Be sure to have the requisite amount of betrayal and romance; but a catch phrase? Hackery! I suspect one reason "Lost" is so popular is 'cos they're just doing stuff; stuff that's counter-intuitive in a lot of cases. No resolution, pile more on. Mix the supernatural and the sci-fi. Throw in a lot of strange characters. Make non-sequitur your friend. HAVE PEOPLE HIDE FROM FEET!!!!!
            I want to love Lost but I can't help think it's going to end with Locke shooting people with a machine gun while "all you need is love" warbles on a juke box.

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
              I want to love Lost but I can't help think it's going to end with Locke shooting people with a machine gun while "all you need is love" warbles on a juke box.
              Really? And will he drive out in an 18 wheeler while singing "Dem Bones, Dem Bones.." while a midget serves tea?

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by johnmiic
                Really? And will he drive out in an 18 wheeler while singing "Dem Bones, Dem Bones.." while a midget serves tea?
                Get out of my head you sorcerer!

Comment

• Airdave817
                  Satellite Monitor Duty
                  • May 31, 2007

What I hate is that some remakes come back as comedies. Why would Starsky & Hutch come back as a comedy? Did I miss something there? Maybe we look at things that differently now, huh? I read that either Jim Carrey or Chris Rock was going to be the next Six Million Dollar Man and it was going to be - a comedy.
                  Shameless self-promotion -
                  Earth-Dave
                  KROC-FM
                  Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
                  "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

What I hate is that some remakes come back as comedies. Why would Starsky & Hutch come back as a comedy? Did I miss something there? Maybe we look at things that differently now, huh? I read that either Jim Carrey or Chris Rock was going to be the next Six Million Dollar Man and it was going to be - a comedy.
                    I'm waiting for Paramount to release a raunchy, Aptow-like "remake" of Happy Days. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see an a near R-rated version of this get made. It would essentially be Porky's with a new Fonzie in it.

I hope no Hollywood execs are reading this...

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

I'm holding my breath for a Fall Guy movie.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>I think the new Galatica is involving, engaging, drama

I hear that a lot; but I just don't feel it. Maybe it's me, but I find the characters never take a break from being all angsty and enraged enough for me to actually CARE about them, so I don't get any sense of drama from the show. Instead I just wanna smack the entire cast. It's like I'm being TOLD I should care, 'cos this guy is all stressed and he's got a tough job and such; but I'm not given an actual opportunity to care. Instead it comes across to me as standard soap opera schlockery.

>it's much harder to make that sort of impact.

I hear that a lot; but I don't think it's just a matter of having more choice. I think WAY too much is formula. And it's laways been like that. Think how many shows from the days of three channels have also faded into obscurity. Comparatively little survives for long. I'd say nowadays MORE stuff achieves lasting memory 'cos there's someone somewhere on the internet that's dedicated a website to pretty much everything that comes out.

>I mean, many people can sing the Love Boat theme too, is that a good thing?

HAW! Definitely not! (Okay; how long 'til someone disputes this one? Dissent in 3... 2... 1...)

>my one complaint about most modern science fiction is the lack of theatricality.

I agree. That's what I mean about shows being too self-conscious. Everything HAS to be "serious." And what counts as "serious" is usually painfully formulaic. There are other advantages too: if I use a weird name for time periods in a show it means my writers don't have to be pinned down by real world measures. If I use a weird made-up element for power then the writers aren't bound by our current knowledge of physics. It makes my show more original, and it takes some pressure off the crew.

But nobody does that.

>I want to love Lost but I can't help think it's going to end with Locke shooting people with a machine gun while "all you need is love" warbles on a juke box.

HAW! Y'know; that's one of my all time favourite series. I'm also pretty sure I know what happened in that last episode!

>What I hate is that some remakes come back as comedies. Why would Starsky & Hutch come back as a comedy?

Comedy was popular. Like I said before; my problem with remakes is that they're not usually a remake, they're a few names and images from something old slapped on to whatever the current formula is. "Starsky and Hutch" blew my mind, 'cos the ORIGINAL is still considered by a lot of critics to be the most violent show ever. So we'll make it a wacky comedy....?

>I'm waiting for Paramount to release a raunchy, Aptow-like "remake" of Happy Days.

They did a "PG" one. It was called "That 70's Show." I don't know if we'd see a new Happy Days, since the 50's are way out of anybody's target demographic now. (Nostalgia seems to go back 20 years or so.) But it doesn't mean it WON'T happen. A recognizable name is a recognizable name. (Heck; CTVT even did 4 sets of figures from it; so SOMEBODY think's it's marketable.)

Don C.

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Get out of my head you sorcerer!
                          Iggitty-Aggity-Ooop!

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Airdave817
                            I completely understand where your coming from, but I think the intent was to poke a little fun at the overacting and the "aw shucks" attitude that were so frequent in these shows. I mean if you were a hardened criminal and Starsky and Hutch showed up at your door, would YOU be intimidated? Probably not. Of course it didn't help that some of the crime bosses were drinking warm milk while they planned their next knock off at the local candy store. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED the old Starsky and Hutch as a kid and I own all five box sets today. The show is charming on many levels and I love the buddy connection between the two. Watching that show is like imagining yourself putting on a badge and going out to fight crime with your best friend. It's just a feel good show along those lines. When I saw the movie I completely got it and didn't think they were downing the original series at all.

Now when I heard the same treatment might be given to the Six Million Dollar Man, I got my back up over that because I think the overall "science" of the show was what made it interesting. I think it holds up really well even by today's standards. Steve Austin was TV's answer to James Bond with special abilities and it blows my mind they have never reinvented that for today's audiences. But seeing how they remade the Bionic Woman shows how off the mark they were regarding the success of the original series. So maybe it's a blessing they didn't do a show around Steve Austin.

Comment

• kept back
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 2, 2002

What I really wanna know is, did Michelle Ryan get naked ar any point on Bionic Woman?
                              Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• danadoll
                                Micronaut Nut!
                                • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by MIB41
                                Now when I heard the same treatment might be given to the Six Million Dollar Man, I got my back up over that because I think the overall "science" of the show was what made it interesting. I think it holds up really well even by today's standards. Steve Austin was TV's answer to James Bond with special abilities and it blows my mind they have never reinvented that for today's audiences. But seeing how they remade the Bionic Woman shows how off the mark they were regarding the success of the original series. So maybe it's a blessing they didn't do a show around Steve Austin.
                                From what I've heard and read...The Six Million Dollar Man has been in legal hell/limbo for quite a few years now. I guess nobody can do anything with it until it's legal troubles are over. The following article deals with the reasons why Steve might not be seen again and even why the Bionic Woman couldn't even be bionic (she had to have nanotech, instead)...

Why Aren't The Original Bionic Shows On DVD? Questions Answered! - DVD Guy | TVGuide.com

I hope that helps.

Dana
                                Last edited by danadoll; Feb 28, '08, 3:39 AM.
                                "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎