Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Yeah, it's no Pan's Labyrinth, it's not made by an intellectual, that's for certain. I had fun and found it to be very watchable, though I was a bit numb and tired by the end. I appreciated what he was going for.
    This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

Okay - I think I'm back to Plan A: Rental, because I'm still not convinced that a big screen will make it better than beer.

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

I think if I watched it at home I'd fall asleep on the couch, but there's not much I can't say that about.
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Brazoo
          Okay - I think I'm back to Plan A: Rental, because I'm still not convinced that a big screen will make it better than beer.
          Don't they have Discount Matinee's by you? 1st showing is 1/2 price by me and 1 day out of the week all daytime showings 1/2 off. Just go when it's cheep. Maybe Saturday 1st showing by you is discounted? Many theaters do that. Buy the biggest soda and veg out.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by johnmiic
            Don't they have Discount Matinee's by you? 1st showing is 1/2 price by me and 1 day out of the week all daytime showings 1/2 off. Just go when it's cheep. Maybe Saturday 1st showing by you is discounted? Many theaters do that. Buy the biggest soda and veg out.
            That's exactly what i did........1st show few people there popcorn,big soda my feet up, hell i felt like i was home except no kids and wife.....

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

sneek the beer in.......

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by johnmiic
                I usually wait a month or so and catch newer movies at the rep theatre, so I might do that. It's less than half of a normal ticket. Popcorn, soda and chocolate bar are $5. It rules.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                  sneek the beer in.......
                  Not a bad idea.

Comment

• Brazoo
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 14, 2009

When I was a kid there was this awesome second run theatre in Fort Lauderdale that had a restaurant/bar in it. You sit at a small table and watch the movie - you turn on a little light at the table and waitresses would bring you stuff. By the time I got old enough to drink it was long gone.

I remember watching "Oh God, You Devil" and "Tough Guys" there. It was great.

Comment

• johnmiic
                      Adrift
                      • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                      That's exactly what i did........1st show few people there popcorn,big soda my feet up, hell i felt like i was home except no kids and wife.....
                      They have a Sbarro pizza place and Nathan's at mine. Went to the early show. Slice of pizza, fries w/melted cheese and largest Pepsi. Only 4 people shoed up early for it. Picked a good seat and left this plane of existence for over 2 hours.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

I totally didn't realize that half price Tuesdays had returned to the local cineplexes. We've got four dollar movies at the Rainbow chain, but for those, you might as well be sitting at home in front of your big TV.

For me it was a good excuse to get the lads out of their respective houses (since most of us are married and many with kids) to grab some wings/drinks and a movie. Something we used to do all the time, but not so often as we get older. So less for the movie, and more for the good company and goofy comments at the movie's expense. Fun times.

There needs to be more movies like this one and The Expendables. Pure Leave Your Brain Kick'splosions.
                        Last edited by samurainoir; Apr 1, '11, 1:20 PM.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

The Expendables ruled!

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

The Expendables ruled!
                            That guys night out trailer basically shamed us into getting together to see that.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqmX0SHI_Po

Although as penance, I think some of my bro's did have to sit through Eat Pray Love that same week.

Don't they still have a bar at the Scotia Theatre BTW? We usually got loaded up to bear at Hooters or Milestones prior (before everyone moved out to 905 on me).

Our one friend who couldn't make it to SuckerPunch because him and his wife were going to see Billy Elliot the Musical is not going to live this one down for a while.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• MegoSteve
                              Superman's Pal
                              • Jun 17, 2005

Saw it tonight with my friend Todd.

I enjoyed it for what it was, which was a mess of imagery mashed together, but ultimately, it was begging for a plot and characterization. It also felt like it was lacking in humanity; the abuse of women and children was completely over the top.

There were so many story elements and plot holes that bothered me, and those parts of the movie were just so relentlessly unpleasant (pedophilia, sex slavery, mental hospital abuses) that they overshadowed the parts that have should been sheer joy. The visuals of the steam-powered Nazi zombies, giant robotic samurai, dragons, zeppelins, guns, swords, kung ** and girls were all such awesome fun that it's kind of a shame they were wrapped in this craptacular movie.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎