David Prowse Banned from Celebration 5

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mitchedwards
    replied
    Wow, I met David Prowse by accident in the mid 80's. I was at church and this real big dude sits in front of me. Turns out he was visitant friends and he came to church with him. He was super nice and signed lots of autographs.

Leave a comment:

• jds1911a1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikey01
    I'll always have him in the same catagory as the guy that was inside the Lost In Space robot's suit.

To me the real robot was Dick Tufeld and the real Vader was James Earl Jones.
    and that guy was an whinny tool too

Leave a comment:

• palitoy
    replied
    Jeremy Bulloch, and Daniel Logan both are incredible
    Agreed, my son wanted both their autographs so I fetched them at Motor City. I wasn't really interested in meeting either of them but they both caught me by surprise as to how kind they were. Bulloch and his wife were lovely and Logan was this ball of energy, it was refreshing.

Leave a comment:

• johnnystorm
    replied
    BTW, I collect autographs, and I've rarely paid for a photo at a con. I'd really have to want the sig pretty bad. I think the last time I paid was $20 to get a Hulk photo signed by Lou Ferrigno.

I got James Earl Jones' when he gave a speech at the local university. I've also got his signature on a few Darth Vader pictures through the mail FOR FREE, he's a great ttm signer with a quick one or two week turnaround. If anyone's interested, here's the ttm address to use:

James Earl Jones
    c/o Horatio Productions Inc.
    P.O. Box 610
    Pawling, NY 12564
    USA

As always, it's not guaranteed, but I've had success. Just don't ever send anything you'd not be afraid to have lost or damaged by the Post Office. Be sure to write a brief note telling him you like his work, request the autos, and thanking him. And include a SASE with the correct return postage.
    Last edited by johnnystorm; Jul 13, '10, 8:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MIB41
    replied
    Originally posted by huedell
    ... not that it's the "last word" but even Jones
    offered that Prowse was "scary" in his delivery....Prowse had
    something "mineable" if not superlative IMHO.
    I may have missed something musing on this subject... but that seems appropriate for now.
    Jones was not referring to Prowse in that comment. He said it was Kirshner's attempt at the voice. He said Prowse just 'threw the lines out there since he knew he wasn't being used.'

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Banner
    replied
    Lucasfilm has had an issue with Dave Prowse for years. It's sad that it seems like it'll never be resolved.

But Dave has always been very polite and gracious to me at conventions and SW events. I've spoken with him quite a few times about SW and his days as a body builder.

Same with Jeremy Bulloch and Anthony Daniels... always very polite and gracious.

In fact, all SW celebrities I've met have been cool.

But a friend of mine did once have a bad experience with Peter Mayhew.
    Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jul 13, '10, 5:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lonestarhobbies
    replied
    Originally posted by Hector
    Careful...that was Jake the Muss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB3C6KP6pGY

That's Morrison's best movie by far...Once Were Warriors is fantastic...

All I know is that everytime I see Jango Fett's head go rolling like a bowling ball in EP2 I tend to smile kinda devilishly

Leave a comment:

• B-Lister
    replied
    When it comes to Costume Fillers, the Fetts have been nothing but cordial to me, and I don't even give a damn about Boba Fett.

but Jeremy Bulloch, and Daniel Logan both are incredible. Logan even recognizes me on sight, since I've seen him at so many cons.

Leave a comment:

• huedell
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikey01
    I think I heard Lucas made a conscious effort to have English speaking baddies and American speaking heroes.

If this is true, I wonder why he went with JEJ as the voice of Vader ?
    Because he wanted a DEEP menacing voice regardless of accent.

Leave a comment:

• huedell
    replied
    Originally posted by MIB41
    Huedell, your great buddy! But I don't get your counter point about Prowse, when you say it's all moot anyway because you prefer James Earl Jones!
    You're right in that you and I both agree with Lucas that Jones is better
    for the role, but I believe that Prowse would've possibly worked well enough
    and that the only reason that Lucas decided against Prowse was to search
    for a deeper-voiced actor... not that it's the "last word" but even Jones
    offered that Prowse was "scary" in his delivery....Prowse had
    something "mineable" if not superlative IMHO.

As far as the "highpoints" of Prowse's performance...we'll simply NEVER see
    them because it would not benefit Lucas' cause one bit.

I may have missed something musing on this subject... but that seems appropriate for now.

Leave a comment:

• Hector
    replied
    Originally posted by Lonestarhobbies
    I had the pleasure of meeting Prowse back in the mid 90's...and he was pleasant to me.

Now, I did meet Temura Morrison (Jango Fett) and that guy was a complete ***. I swear to God, this Dbag literally ran over my wife in an aisle (slammed directly into her from behind) then rudely trodded on down the aisle. His handlers also bumped into me and nearly knocked a huge box of vintage Star Wars ships and parts out of my arms-----did we even hear a single "Sorry"?? Hell no....

I still shelled out the $35 I think it was for his autograph because I'd come there for one for me (signed to Brian) and one for a friend online. I so badly wanted to thank him for being such a Dbag after I had my signatures....but I said screw it.....
    Careful...that was Jake the Muss...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB3C6KP6pGY

That's Morrison's best movie by far...Once Were Warriors is fantastic...

Leave a comment:

• MIB41
    replied
    Huedell, your great buddy! But I don't get your counter point about Prowse, when you say it's all moot anyway because you prefer James Earl Jones! Yes, the documentary did not offer an ideal portrait of Prowse. But to say his performance was misrepresented could only be supported if you can show a performance that is measurably BETTER. Sure, most actors dubbed their lines in this film, but even in the scenes with Prowse, the set recordings were only poor in audio quality, NOT in performance by those other actors. Those performances still translated. SO while it may have seemed cruel for Lucas to throw this kind of footage out to the public, maybe it was necessary if Prowse was out there overstating his importance AND leaking key plot points to undermine Jedi. Sounds like the guy has been trouble for a long time and Lucas finally had reached the end of his line. Samurainoir also offered some additional links showing the artistic process to Darth Vader's essence which clearly shows Prowse was NOT part of that discussion.

Leave a comment:

• jimsmegos
    replied
    Personally I think it's a sad practice of "stars" selling autographs. If you love your fans it's the least you can do considering their love already got you paid in the first place. And Prowses vocal delivery I've heard sucks. Even if he would have been granted the chance to do the VO Vader would not have been Vader. As far as unmasking and seeing Dave instead of Shaw... nah... Shaw appearead to be more gentlemanly and refined, like a good guy should. Prowse, not so much

Leave a comment:

• samurainoir
    replied
    James Earl Jones has interesting things to say regarding the lack of performance when it came to doing Darth Vader...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0uPzrx0n90

David Prowse PSA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZIEFUT56k

Leave a comment:

• johnmiic
    replied
    Originally posted by Cmonster
    ...Then, after "Empire", Lucas told him personally, that Vader would be unmasked in the next film. Dave was elated. His face would finally be seen after all this time.

Cut to: A year and a half later... They're shooting "Jedi" and on the day of shooting, director Richard Marquand pulls Prowse aside and he's told that Sebastian Shaw will be used for the unmasking scene and read the dialog for Anakin Skywalker.
    SC
    I have to say that this was a cruel turn of events. I feel it should have been Prowse revealed in the costume in ROTJ. There's no legitimate excuse to have cut him out. What would have been worse would be to have Lucas remove him from ROTJ's ending in the Special Edition and substitute Hayden Christensen.

I do recall Prowse giving an interview with Starlog, post ROTJ, stating that his relationship with Lucas was strained because info for ROTJ was released early to the press from script-pages traced back to him. He stated in Starlog that the script was stolen from his trailer and he had no control over that but Lucas didn't believe him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎