Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

^ I'm glad I didn't invest in the VHS versions.

First of all, I would have hated to have to replace them on DVD...the tapes were expensive in their own right...not to mention the amount of shelf space needed

Secondly, I couldn't imagine not being able to FF 16x + through re-enactments, title sequences & credits when sitting through marathon sessions. Yikes!

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
      ^ I'm glad I didn't invest in the VHS versions.

First of all, I would have hated to have to replace them on DVD...the tapes were expensive in their own right...not to mention the amount of shelf space needed

Secondly, I couldn't imagine not being able to FF 16x + through re-enactments, title sequences & credits when sitting through marathon sessions. Yikes!
      Well that's hindsight Yes the DVD viewing options are better. But at the time I was excited to have the tapes. The $20-something a piece price tag though was a little prohibitive and is another reason I eventually bowed out.

I used to buy them at "Saturday Matinee" and every once in a while they'd have a higher volume out of sequence on the shelf and it was intimidating how many of them there were.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Dark Shadow
        Creature Of The Night
        • May 14, 2011

^ Believe it or not, I was expressing genuine relief as well as empathizing with your decision not to continue with the collection, sorry if you interpretted my meaning otherwise. Wish I could lay claim to some sort of ingenious foresight, but the reality of the matter is far less impressive. The truth is that I could not afford the VHS tapes when they were first offered up in 1989/1990. I was working two minimum wage jobs and carrying 10-12 units in school at the time. I, too, would have been excited to have the tapes, I just couldn't justify the expense at the time...but don't think for a second that I didn't covet them and frequently attempt to bargain with reason.

I was also hindered by the concern that MPI would go "belly up" or for any other number of reasons bow out of the project prior to completion. Having already been disappointed by the short run the show had in its premier syndication run of less than 150 episodes in the mid 70's, followed by the longer and still not complete run in it's second syndication attempt (1986-1988)...seasoned fans had legitimate reasons to expect yet another dissappointment.

By the time I had some extra income, Sci-Fi was already running the series on a daily basis and I had taken on the task of making my own collection. Power outages & various tape issues made for a less than perfect product, but it was better than nothing. By the time I had seen the whole series (although not in proper order) it was a safe bet that DVD releases were just around the corner...so I patiently waited...for what seemed like a very very very long time.

RE: the VHS releases, there were 254 tapes in all. Imagine the amount of shelf space that would have demanded.

And as for the DVDs...I am grateful to have them.

Also an FYI: MPI is re-releasing the individual DVD boxsets in a new revamped packaging style with an SRP of 39.99 per set...meaning that Amazon & Walmart.com are offering them up at about $24.99 each...beginning in April.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          Well that's hindsight Yes the DVD viewing options are better. But at the time I was excited to have the tapes. The $20-something a piece price tag though was a little prohibitive and is another reason I eventually bowed out.

I used to buy them at "Saturday Matinee" and every once in a while they'd have a higher volume out of sequence on the shelf and it was intimidating how many of them there were.
          I know exactly how you feel Anthony. People tend to forget how prominent VHS was. And places like Columbia House were the only resource, in many instances, to get classic shows. I remember subscribing to all of the Lost in Space episodes. And believe it or not, I got them all! Three seasons worth. It was fun getting a tape each month and watching a couple of episodes. Back then I hadn't seen the show since the early 70's, so it was a real treat to rediscover all of those old classics. And the thing is, I still have every one of those. I spent enough money on the darn things, I couldn't find any reason to dump them because the format changed. Even after I got the DVD box sets. I'm still struggling with that too. I collected VHS as much as I did DVDs. I coveted those collections so much that it's very hard for me to see them as valueless.

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

^ I still have mine but I've been contemplating what to do with them...If anything I'd at least like to replace the ones I have with the DVD versions but I wouldn't continue much beyond that...well maybe a little bit further....

Comment

• HumanWolfman
              Type3Toys Has Transformed
              • Oct 5, 2011

I picked up the first 16 Four Disc Sets. I kind of have trouble getting into the Laviathan story line so that is where I cut off my collection.
              View My Customs
              www.type3toys.com
              or check here
              http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                Creature Of The Night
                • May 14, 2011

Yeah the Leviathan storyline has always been the hardest one for me to sit through, too. After the complexity & depth of 1897, 1970 leaves much to be desired...doesn't it?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

This set would be a great way for me to "jump in"--I grew up with spotty reruns on UHF as a kid, then the films, then Sci-Fi re-runs.

I'm a DS fan, but by no means as knowledgeable as I am with ST:TOS.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 12, 2004

$345.18 Shipped. Use coupon code: SAVE10

I made enough profit selling my original limited edition set to more than pay for this standard edition. I sold it for $899.00 on Amazon Marketplace.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I just went with a "best of" DVD which seemed to captivate my 7 year old.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

I just picked up the first two regular volumes on DVD...one more and I'm pretty much were I left off on the old VHS tapes...

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎