Clear All
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

Dark Shadows - Complete Original Series DVD set

Limited to 2500 copies.

Box Features:
    131 DVDs with all 1,225 Complete Episodes
    Commemorative large Coffin package (housing 22 amarays)
    Deluxe booklet with episode summaries & photographs
    Special Bloopers, Treasures & Behind The Scenes DVD s
    Over 120 Bonus Cast & Crew Video Interviews
    Autographed Postcard by Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins)
    Limited Numbered Edition
    Other features include nickel hinges, black ribbon to hold the lid when open, matte and foil coating
    Box dimensions: (Coffin), 13 ½ L x 11 ¼ W (at widest) x 5 ¾ D.
    Shipping carton dimensions, 16.5" x 8.5" x 14"
    Weight Shipping carton with contents - 15.5lbs

DVD Box Set Details | Geeks of Doom

The cheapest I could find it was $382.98 USD Shipped.

Dark Shadows: Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series [Limited Edition] [131 Discs]: DVD Movie Details: ImportCds.com

It would take you twenty-one days to watch this entire set. (24 hrs a day non-stop)

Mine has already shipped.

Dark Shadows, the first supernatural soap opera, the massive cult hit that originally aired on the ABC network way before most of the cast of Twilight and True Blood were even born, is being resurrected (pun firmly intended) this year; a Tim Burton vehicle with Johnny Depp makes its way into theaters on May 11th. Now, MPI Entertainment is releasing Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series, which is the ENTIRE series, on DVD on May 8th in one beautifully encased black coffin, WITH archetypical red lining inside! (See box art here at top and below.) This massive DVD box set will also include bonus material, like over 100 interviews, bloopers, a behind-the-scenes documentary, and cast reunion, as well as a 96-page commemorative booklet.

The SRP on this one of a kind item goes for $599.98, which obviously will not be appealing or affordable to everyone, but for those who want to own some of the show without breaking the bank to do so, or for those who have never experienced the show and are curious to dip their toe in the black swamp so to speak, MPI is also releasing more affordable options. There will also be two single-disc DVDs out on April 10th — Dark Shadows: Fan Favorites and Dark Shadows: The Best of Barnabas — at a much more down to earth price of $14.98 each, with each DVD showcasing 9 episodes, ones that are considered the benchmark of the series.

Dark Shadows, created by the late Dan Curtis, who produced many horror films in the “wake” of Dark Shadows, was a popular daytime serial for teenagers and their parents alike across America from 1966-1971, and was one of ABC-TV’s first daytime hits. Over its 5 years and 1,225 episodes, scores of fans rushed home from school to watch the gothic serial, which turned the traditional soap opera formula on its ear, with its frightening adventures, trials, tribulations, and overt romanticism centered around a wealthy family living in a estate up in Maine, complete with traditional macabre effects and surroundings replete with mist and fog, werewolves, ghosts, vampires and an evil witch.

The show took some time to pick up steam, a year had elapsed before the writers and producers of the show introduced one Barnabas Collins, played by Jonathan Frid, who became a star in his own right as one of the show’s most memorable characters and a hero to thousands of rabid fans (Johnny Depp included, who will play Barnabas in the aforementioned Tim Burton movie adaptation, which will sport cameos by many of the original surviving cast members of the serial, Frid included).

The vampire genre, which as of the last few years has exploded as a successful franchise in its own right on par with McDonald’s and Apple Computers, certainly was the catalyst to spearhead the release of this handsome DVD box set. Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series will include EVERY EPISODE of the series — a Herculean task in itself in terms of preparation for this package — on 131 discs that will house the 1,225 episodes, which indeed is an absolute holy grail for the fanatic of this show.

For the casual fan, the zealot, or just someone who’s impressions of vampires have only been by way of the CW Network, HBO, and “Team Jacob and Edward,” these upcoming Dark Shadows DVDs are certainly something one wants to “sink their teeth” into. (Couldn’t resist that one!)
    Last edited by GlobalObserver; Mar 25, '12, 3:55 PM.
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

That is just an amazing looking set. Looks like something Time/Life would have packaged and sold.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 12, 2004

If Time/Life had put this set out it would have cost two-thousand dollars.
      Last edited by GlobalObserver; Mar 27, '12, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• mego73
        Printed paperboard Tiger
        • Aug 1, 2003

I do want to get it. Keeping an eye for sales, coupon codes, etc.

[email protected]

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I love the show but 600 hours is probably something I can't tackle in this lifetime. It is really well done though.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

^ I was thinking the same thing....there's no way I'd ever watch every episode. I piddled out when I was buying the MPI VHS tapes years ago....
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

I've never seen an episode, so I'll probably go for the "best of" DVDs mentioned and give it a try.
              Even if I were a big fan, that price tag for the entire series would mean a big "no" anyway.
              But it must be said, it's impressive!
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                ^ I was thinking the same thing....there's no way I'd ever watch every episode. I piddled out when I was buying the MPI VHS tapes years ago....
                Oh Man, you did that? I remember just saying "forget it" when I saw the gigantic wall of them at "Sam the record man" back in the day.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Complete? Did they find the missing episodes?
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I'm curious. How did this series end? How did they leave these characters? Did any of them meet their demise or did they just continue on?

Comment

• wolfie
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 31, 2007

It's a great looking set but there is not enough time in anyone's life to watch all this.

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                        [B]
                        131 DVDs with all 1,225 Complete Episodes

Insane! I had no idea the show was a daily soap!

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

Great looking set, not a bad value either. Even at the MSRP of $600.00 it's about .49 cents per episode. At the discounted price of $383.00 it's about .31 cents. I purchased the original DVD boxsets (all 26) one at a time at various discounts (previously viewed, ebay scores, closeout sales, etc.) and spent an average of about .52 cents per episode.

If you watched 1 episode per day, it would take about 3 years and 4 months to see it in it's entirety. Each episode is about 22 minutes with the opening sequence (frequently a re-enactment of the ending of the previous episode), the title sequence & closing credits. Actual content is about 17-19 minutes. If one was committed (or committable ) he or she could easily take in 3-4 episodes per day and watch the entire series in a year's time, or less. Myself, I can watch a few daily, or skip weeks at a time and make up with marathon sessions of about 10-12 epidodes on rainy weekends.

Werewolf - Only one episode is completely lost. There is an audio recording of that episode (made by a fan on its original broadcast) that surfaced years ago that is presented with still images to bridge the gap between the previous & following episodes. There are several episodes (15-20, I think) in which the original video version has been forever lost, however the kinescope version of them remain completely intact and are presented in this collection as they have been in previous versions.

MIB41 - The series ends rather ubruptly while the main storyline is focusing in on a parallel universe. Most of the main characters of the modern day primary universe survive through the very end.
                          Last edited by Dark Shadow; Mar 27, '12, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                            Werewolf - Only one episode is completely lost.
                            Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Oh Man, you did that? I remember just saying "forget it" when I saw the gigantic wall of them at "Sam the record man" back in the day.
                              I didn't get super far...couldn't keep up...I think they eventually released 70+ volumes I wanna say and I only got up to about 21 or 22...
                              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎