X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Romero's Survival of the Dead

TIFF - Toronto International Film Festival - George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead

Worth catching or do you think Romero's beating a dead horse by now? Diary of the Dead wasn't really that memorable at all. Of course this time he's got more of a budget.

In a world where the dead rise to menace the living, rogue soldier Crocket (Alan Van Sprang) leads a band of military dropouts to refuge from the endless chaos. As they search for a place “where the **** won't get you,” they meet banished patriarch Patrick O'Flynn (played with zeal by Kenneth Welsh), who promises a new Eden on the fishing and ranching outpost Plum Island. The men arrive, only to find themselves caught in an age-old battle between O'Flynn's family and rival clan the Muldoons. It turns out that Patrick was expelled from the isle for believing that the only good zombie is a dead zombie, while the Muldoons think it's wrong to dispatch afflicted loved ones, attempting to look after their undead kinfolk until a cure is found. But their bid for stability on the homestead has turned perverse: the undead are chained inside their homes, pretending to live normal lives – and the consequences are bloody. A desperate struggle for survival will determine whether the living and the dead can coexist.

Such apocalyptic themes have long haunted George A. Romero, much to the delight of his legions of fans. He now follows Crocket, a minor character from his last film, Diary of the Dead, to present a new doomsday scenario. In that film, Crocket made a brief appearance with his militia to appropriate the heroes' supplies at gunpoint. For Crocket's subsequent journey, Romero does something that most horror directors have neglected to do in recent years – he uses the genre to address societal issues. Romero here creates a world in which he can wrestle with the human condition while simultaneously finding new and creative ways to exterminate lurching flesh eaters.

The film is also a sharp subversion of the western. It can be seen as a reflection of William Wyler's The Big Country, in which stubborn clans feuded as larger troubles raged. We needn't look further than today's news headlines to see examples of such fracture and to understand how it prevents more significant problems from being solved.

Fear not, Romero is still determined to give you gruesome and macabre thrills, but will also serve up a bloody little parable on the side. So who are you going to side with, the living or the dead?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • kryptosmaster
    Removed.
    • Jun 14, 2008

Well the last one I saw was Land of the Dead so i still need to see these 2 newer ones. I've always enjoyed his zombie movies. In fact, Dawn of the Dead is one of my all-time favorite movies. Man I almost feel like popping it in right now and watching it.
    Rich

Comment

• vulcan2074
      Live Long and Prosper
      • Mar 23, 2008

I think it's worth catching. I really like his films. It sounds pretty good to me
      Sammy

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Diary of the Dead sucked so bad, I really don't have a lot of hope Romero still has it.

The storyline of this movie doesn't impress me.

I don't care about social issues ----- all I want is to see is millions of zombies and a small group of people thrust together that under normal circumstances have nothing to do with eachother.

I'll write what he should do as his next story right now off the top of my head ....

PRISONERS OF THE DEAD

In the year 2010 at the start of the crisis an airline flight is force to make an emergency splashdown near an offshore island prison (similar to Alcatraz but the island is a bit bigger) .....
        The airline passenger list is very diverse including some miliarty personal, a doctor, 7 children, 35 tourists, etc .......
        The people must try and survive on an island where 60% of the population is already zombies, and 40% are even worse.

There you go Romero ...
        Use my idea for free.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
          Removed.
          • Jun 14, 2008

Just got me wondering....
          Is there a timeline for these movies?
          What I mean is NOTLD came out in 1968 or so. Then Dawn around 1978, Day in the early 80's, etc.
          Are these supposed to be close together chronologically or do they take place in real time (the zombies have been around for 40 years)? Of course that's assuming they are the same storyline, just different parts.
          Rich

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
            Just got me wondering....
            Is there a timeline for these movies?
            What I mean is NOTLD came out in 1968 or so. Then Dawn around 1978, Day in the early 80's, etc.
            Are these supposed to be close together chronologically or do they take place in real time (the zombies have been around for 40 years)? Of course that's assuming they are the same storyline, just different parts.
            Rich
            There is no real clear timeline.
            Never use the dates of the movies to set the time.
            Also,
            The franchise has been "rebooted" 3 times already ...
            Night of the Living Dead
            Night of the Living Dead (remake)
            Diary of the Dead (arguable)

Comment

• kryptosmaster
              Removed.
              • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by type1kirk
              There is no real clear timeline.
              Never use the dates of the movies to set the time.
              Also,
              The franchise has been "rebooted" 3 times already ...
              Night of the Living Dead
              Night of the Living Dead (remake)
              Diary of the Dead (arguable)
              Yeah I guess I wasn't really looking for a specific year that it takes place, more of a how long has it been (in the movie timeline) between each movie.
              Obviously NOTLD is very shortly after the zombies appear.
              Dawn seems to be a little bit down the road. Probably weeks or months since NOTLD and of course it takes place over a period of several months (perhaps over a year?) before they take off from the mall in the chopper at the end.
              I haven't seen Day in awhile so can't recall but obviously it has been quite some time since Night because the scientist has been doing tests/research on "Bub" and other zombies.
              Land of the Dead has the feel that the zombies have been around for at least a couple years if not longer.
              I guess the remake (not counting Dawn remake or Return of the Living Dead) doesn't really count since it's a remake of Night, right? (been awhile since I've seen that too. was it a straight remake with the original characters or a new story taking place at same time as NOTLD?)
              I haven't seen Diary or the new one yet to make any comments on those.
              Rich

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I think the zombie thing is really, REALLY tough to come up with a new angle on; so ANYTHING that ANYBODY does is gonna seem kinda hackneyed.

-Zombies attack
                -group of survivours get smucked in together
                -some are wimpy, some are angry, some are capitalizing on the whole thing
                -someone freaks out, putting the group at risk and forcing their hand
                -people make a frantic last ditch escape and either succed, fail, or some succeed some get eaten.
                -roll credits.

Don C.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

I'l watch any Zombie flick at least once
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• fallensaviour
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by toys2cool
                    I'll watch any Zombie flick at least once
                    Ditto,Romero films are great.Diary of the dead was a good watch.Was it a great movie?
                    That's up to individual taste I guess but it was a decent zombie film done in a different perspective.My daughter thought it was great and that the remake of NOTLD(90's Savini) was great.
                    She also loved Land of the Dead.
                    I prefer the original films;Night,dawn and day + land.
                    I'll watch any Romero flick because he understands That;
                    1.)Zombies Don't run!!!
                    2.)Even the heroes Die in the end.

But I would love to see a zombie point of view film!!!
                    T1K A zombie plane movie was already done,It was called "Flight of the living Dead"
                    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>But I would love to see a zombie point of view film!!!

THAT'S a weird idea. If you've seen "Return of the Living Dead" you get a bit of the zombie perspective, when they interrogate the one.

Don C.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by ctc

THAT'S a weird idea. If you've seen "Return of the Living Dead" you get a bit of the zombie perspective, when they interrogate the one.

Don C.
                        Even though the guy that did the Return movies also did Night of the Living Dead along with Romero I still never consider the Return movies legit -- legit in the Romero world, that is.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

NIght of the Living Dead was remade twice as far as I remember... by Tom Savani in the nineties, and more recently as NIght of the Living Dead 3-D.

Flight of the Living Dead AKA Plane Dead was awful... I mean how do you screw up the Zombies meets Snakes on a Plane premise?

I think the big problem you start to see with the timelines by the time you reach Diary is that each film is of it's own era. Thus you have Consumptive Mall culture in Dawn, Reagan era cold war paranoia in Day, corporate pathology in Land, and Diary is all about the internet, "reality" tv and YouTube.

It becomes like the sliding Marvel Comics time-line. Although, obviously the original NIght does not take place in the same "world" as Diary given the amount of decades that separate them, particularly when they state that the first zombie sightings in Diary are broadcast over the 'net.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Romero and Return of the Living Dead's John Russo (AKA the Graveyard Zombie) are back collaborating again on Avatar comic's various "of the Dead" series.

Russo's are "Escape" and "Plague" I believe...

and Russo does "Night" with Romero's approval (input?)

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by ctc

Don C.
                              Yeah I've seen it.Close but no cigar,They even touched on it a bit in land from big daddies view but still I'm talking the whole film.

<samurainoir> NIght of the Living Dead was remade twice as far as I remember... by Tom Savani in the nineties, and more recently as NIght of the Living Dead 3-D.
                              You are correct Savini was pretty true to the film,the 3-D remake had nothing to do with the original and was a giant crapfest although Sid Haig was awesome as always.

<samurainor>Flight of the Living Dead AKA Plane Dead was awful... I mean how do you screw up the Zombies meets Snakes on a Plane premise?
                              Never said it was anygood just said they made one...

<samurainor> I think the big problem you start to see with the timelines by the time you reach Diary is that each film is of it's own era. Thus you have Consumptive Mall culture in Dawn, Reagan era cold war paranoia in Day, corporate pathology in Land, and Diary is all about the internet, "reality" tv and YouTube.
                              If I'm not mistaken I think in the very begining of land it is implied that it basically follows the timeline of night,dawn, and day pretty good and then you wind up at land 25-30 years later.
                              Diary however is not in continuity and takes place nowadays.
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎