Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you leave your Wireless Router on all the time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karen-bionic-fan
    Banned
    • Feb 13, 2010

Well I left it on all night looked at it at 6 and the net light was off!!! i am talking about a box think cream in colour you sit it next to Too pc it looks like a photo frame with light on the top
    power , Wlan lan1 ADSL Internet that's what's gotta be light for me to connect when i switch it off all lights go off then when i put it on they all flash the ADSL flashes fast then the net one comes on ..........
    Last edited by Karen-bionic-fan; Sep 7, '11, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Brad
      Batman Fanatic
      • Aug 20, 2010

When you restart the router it takes a minute or two for it to reconnect. That's normal. On our model the lights are red until it connects then they turn green. As long as your network is secured there is no reason to turn it off but I doubt it will hurt anything to turn it off and on if that's what you like to do.
      "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

• gaga4toyz
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 10, 2004

I think when you set them up you have the option to use a password or not use one. Thats how I set mine up. Do you have the instructions that came with the unit, it will probably tell you there.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Mine is wireless, but I seldom keep any of my systems up all night...unless I'm up.

Comment

• steshell
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jan 20, 2008

Originally posted by wolfie
            ok i'm missing something somewhere.

My router is connected to my laptop. When the laptop is on the router is on, when i switch the laptop off what would be the point of leaving the router on?
            Wolfie, I'm with BT and I've read this recommendation somewhere -

“Important note about speed tests
            Every time you switch off or re-connect your router or modem, your broadband service refreshes your connection speed. Note, however, that where this has increased, your throughput speed will not increase for a further 3 days. This is to minimise the risk of data loss which would occur if the exchange tried to send data down your phone line at a faster rate than it is capable of handling.
            To avoid this happening, your exchange waits for three days of consistently higher connection speeds before it will increase the speed at which it passes data down your line. Also note that if your connection speed dips for any reason during the three-day period (eg. due to electrical interference or a fault), the exchange will re-start the three-day period.
            For these reasons we recommend you leave your router switched on all the time, and avoid measuring your throughput speed until three days after you last switched on or re-booted your router or modem"

For that reason I leave mine on.

Steve

Comment

• wolfie
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for that, that is all news to me, i must look into it.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

always on and secured

Comment

• clemso
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 8, 2001

I leave mine on, but I always think that someone is piggy backing off my broadband. I have never figured out how to lock the damn thing so that if some sees my service it has that padlock symbol on.
                  Is there any way that i can find out if someone else is using my broadband? I'm using a Mac.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

I don't have one so I don't have to worry.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎