Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

I'll gladly take the Megos off anybody's hands that believe the world is going to end soon, since you won't be needing them.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Brazoo
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 14, 2009

A serious question for believers:

If this "end of he world" date comes and goes and we're still here - will that radically change the way you think about government and mainstream science? Will you alter the way you rationally weigh radical claims like this - or have you always been interested in this stuff and don't see one failure as something that can change your mind. I'm genuinely curious.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Brazoo
        A serious question for believers:

If this "end of he world" date comes and goes and we're still here - will that radically change the way you think about government and mainstream science? Will you alter the way you rationally weigh radical claims like this - or have you always been interested in this stuff and don't see one failure as something that can change your mind. I'm genuinely curious.
        When is this "end of the world" date you are referring to?

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          When is this "end of the world" date you are referring to?
          There are a few right now - I'm not sure. Are you a believer? Do you believe the world's end has been accurately predicted or are you just interested in this stuff because it's fun?

I'm assuming most of the info in this thread is mixed in with the 2012 Mayan Calendar Ending / Plant X hoopla - and I've seen several "end of world" dates. So I'm just wondering if 2012 passes and we're still here do those people find a new hobby, or do they just cling to the same ideas and try to find a new date?

Unlike a lot of non-mainstream or supernatural ideas "end of world" predictions have a clearly testable premiss. I can't test to prove or disprove ghosts (for example) but we're all going to know if 2012 happens and we're all still here.

Will cryptic and anomalous details scrutinized to the nth degree that are used to build a claim for a major conspiracy still be interesting to those folks if we don't all go boom?

Or will they change the way they think, and take more stalk in consensus built science and Occam's Razor and the Carl Sagan adage: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"?

Comment

• torgospizza
            Theocrat of Pan Tang
            • Aug 19, 2010

A lot of these guys are saying November of this year will witness an "extinction level event" caused by Comet C/2010 X1, although it's supposed to be closest to us October 16. That's a pretty solid date to which the Elenin guys can be held.

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Oh awesome. This Elenin stuff has finally made it onto the wikipedia Nibiru collision page:

Nibiru collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the origins paragraphs. Pretty funny stuff.

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

What is the plausible motive for NASA covering up Elenin anyway?

They're laying people off and getting funding cut right now. Plus they're currently budgeted for and working on longterm projects that go past the 16th of October 2011. Seems like a kinda bonehead move to bother continuing with those projects if they do know something - doesn't it?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Tothiro
                  But do they have megos? Say... a Captain Patch Rifle they'd be willing to sell at a reasonable rate?
                  very funny!
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Brazoo
                    Or will they change the way they think, and take more stalk in consensus built science and Occam's Razor and the Carl Sagan adage: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"?
                    Dooms day cults have been claiming the end is nigh since the dawn of humanity. When the world doesn't end, as usual, they'll just adjust their dates and it will be business as usual or like in Heaven's Gate case (who believed in a Nasa alien cover up conspiracy of a doomsday comet with a UFO following it, no less) mass suicide.
                    Last edited by Werewolf; Apr 25, '11, 6:45 PM.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      Dooms day cults have been claiming the end is nigh since the dawn of humanity. When the world doesn't end, as usual, they'll just adjust their dates and it will be business as usual or like in Heaven's Gate case (who believed in a Nasa alien cover up conspiracy of a doomsday comet with a UFO following it, no less) mass suicide.
                      Yeah, totaly! This same thing keeps happening again and again. There's LISTS of old "end of times" dates - and TONS of them involving meteors. This is really the oldest thing going.

Amazingly people who have made careers out of "end of times" predictions don't totally loose their credibility forever after they're proven wrong. Which is amazing to me. They either modify their predictions slightly so they don't get caught or wait a couple of years and make new predictions and regrow their audience.

What I'm wondering though is, if I bought into this particular conspiracy theory/prediction and it was wrong would it just change what I thought (for example: the Earth was getting hit by Elenin and the government was covering it up) or would it change the way I thought (for example: next time I'm going to use different tools of logic before drawing conclusions). Know what I mean?

People ask ME what it would take for me to believe in any number of things. (Take your pick of conspiracies or supernatural phenomena.) I always wonder what it would take to change THEIR minds to think about these things in a different way. One thing about end of world predictions is that it's not like one of these enduring questions with no concrete evidence on either side - there's no stalemate. One side is right and one side is wrong. It's nice and simple that way.
                      Last edited by Brazoo; Apr 25, '11, 7:44 PM.

Comment

• jp1969
                        Banned
                        • Dec 10, 2009

I kinda hope this 1 is right on cause I just re-financed my house and am having a hell of a time!!

Comment

• jp1969
                          Banned
                          • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          Do you guys wear tinfoil hats, too?
                          LMaf!!

Comment

• Tothiro
                            Kitten Mittens
                            • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            very funny!
                            Seriously though... with all the new information people are uncovering every day like BASA SMDM, Jet Jungle... I can't even imagine what Mego did for the Planet X market.

I MEAN IT'S AN ENTIRE PLANET!!!

Goodness. Ima clean up when they get closer. We'll be able to get buckets of never before seen Megos for one Waltons Johnboy just by listing it as an Alien Invader Hu-Man in primitive native outfit.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                              Megoholic RocketScientist
                              • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by jp1969
                              I kinda hope this 1 is right on cause I just re-financed my house and am having a hell of a time!!
                              I would not be so sure that you would be scott free. According to Mikey's previous thread regarding bill collector's it would appear as if they would follow you to the ends of Earth.
                              Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• jp1969
                                Banned
                                • Dec 10, 2009

Still having a hell of a time!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡