Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you live with out your cell phone today???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

I could no problem. All I have is a "pay as you go" Virgin Mobile Phone. At the most, I only use about $30.00 a Month.
    sigpic

Comment

• wolfie
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 31, 2007

Until i read this thread i thought i was the only person in the world who had never owned a watch or a mobile phone.

I'm glad to see others can survive and make it through the day without being tied to these things.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

I'm forced to have one Wife rules

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

I hate cell phones. My wife has one of those phones that does everything - phone, internet, unlimited texting. I deplore it. And it's even gotten to where it has caused us a number of big arguments. My daughter texts nonstop and now my wife does it. Between that and Facebook, I wish they would outlaw the crap. It's nothing but a vehicle for gossip. I carry a prepaid phone which only seems to build minutes. Typically, after the allotted 60 days, I only use about 30% of my minutes. So it rolls over when I buy more time (which I have to, in order to keep the minutes). Right now I have something like 1500 minutes. Yeah, I could certainly live without a cell phone. My marriage would be better too.

Comment

• jimsmegos
            Mego Dork
            • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
            I'm forced to have one Wife rules
            same here. it's my 21st centuary leash.

beats having to get a chip implant or wearing a shock collar.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
              I hate cell phones. My wife has one of those phones that does everything - phone, internet, unlimited texting. I deplore it. And it's even gotten to where it has caused us a number of big arguments. My daughter texts nonstop and now my wife does it. Between that and Facebook, I wish they would outlaw the crap. It's nothing but a vehicle for gossip. I carry a prepaid phone which only seems to build minutes. Typically, after the allotted 60 days, I only use about 30% of my minutes. So it rolls over when I buy more time (which I have to, in order to keep the minutes). Right now I have something like 1500 minutes. Yeah, I could certainly live without a cell phone. My marriage would be better too.
              Ditto, except for the marriage. And I still don't get this texting thing. I mean, who decided that typing was a more efficient method of communicating ON A PHONE??? People use the arguement that they may be somewhere they can't answer. My reply? Wait until they're done. You shouldn't be talking or texting someone if they're in a meeting or class anyway. I don't even know how to text, and don't plan on learning how.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by jimsmegos
                same here. it's my 21st centuary leash.

beats having to get a chip implant or wearing a shock collar.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

I could live with out my cell phone today, but I'd need it back tomorrow.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I hate cell phones and refuse to be "on call" 24/7, like some people seem to expect of me.
                    If you want to reach me, send a messenger pigeon. And after I've read you message, I can eat it....
                    The pigeon, of course....
                    Last edited by Gorn Captain; Feb 13, '11, 10:41 AM.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Duncan
                      Museum focus-groupie
                      • Jun 27, 2009

I resisted getting one, but now the wife & I have switched over to cel and shut off the land line. She's pretty much the only one who ever calls me, so I don't mind carrying it.

I really like it for safety issues. If I'm working outside, I can carry it with me just in case. My coworkers have been encouraging their elderly parents to get them and keep them handy at all times.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                        The name says it all!
                        • Dec 3, 2007

I'm with Hec, anyone can live without it, but why would you want to? The are very convenient and can provide you with much more information than most people realize. For instance, if you have a smartphone, how many people know that you can get a bar code app that reads bar codes and QR codes? launch the app, scan the code and it gives you all sorts of information including where you might purchase the item and price comparisons. Smartphones can provide directions when needed. There are just too many things to list where cell phones make life easier.

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
                          Supporter of Silliness
                          • Jun 20, 2007

When we had our daughter more than 7 years ago, my wife made me get one. For the first 6 years, I just used a pre-paid Virgin Mobile one. Work has a pretty decent deal on the iPhone service through AT&T, so I got iPhones for my wife, me, and my dad, plus a normal cell for my mom. I like the iPhone a lot, but I really don't have much need of a phone right now. We have 750 minutes per month between the 4 of us, and I think the most we've ever used is about 300. Still, it's a great piece of equipment, has killed a ton of boredom (heck, I played games on it for like 2 hours straight in the ER while I was getting diagnosed for kidney stones). But, I'm the first to admit that I'm not tied to my phone at all.

Could I live without a cell? Absolutely. I could give it up in a nanosecond.

Comment

• Joe90
                            Most Special Agent
                            • Feb 23, 2008

I still don't have one.

I'm proud that I don't have an electronic leash. The only time it's a problem is when I'm out on the road and need to contact someone. Very few working phone booths these days...
                            90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎