Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vortigern99
    Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
    • Jul 2, 2006

Sorry for the double post, but on a more nerdy note I also like showtunes that rock, like Hair, Grease and JC Superstar.

Comment

• saildog
      Permanent Member
      • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by MegoNinja
      Hello everyone,

Is there anyone else here that is a big fan of Rock music?
      I am sitting here right now listening to Manowar's song 'Defender', is there anyone else here that can share my feelings towards heavy metal and rock in general? I have been listening to Metallica, KISS and Manowar since they 80's and next year I get the honor of seeing Iron Maiden live in concert.
      Am I the only one that's going to see them, they are going on tour really soon.
      Never heard of Manowar (forgive me, please!). Probably right up my alley, though.

Metallica, KISS, and Iron Maiden are part of my morning "pick-me-up" music.

Also, kind of diggin' Wolfmother, Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show, The Who, Pink Floyd, Dio, Led Zep, and Deep Purple.

Comment

• txteach
        Banned
        • Jun 17, 2005

I think I'm just a geek.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 1, 2005

I'm a fan of most kinds of music, and I listen to a wide mix of stuff, too much to list but some faves are KISS, Pink Floyd, Roy Orbison, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, Mercyful Fate, Iron Maiden, Morbid Angel, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Doors, Queen, The Beatles, Deep Purple, so on and so forth. I'm looking forward to that Maiden tour next year for sure.

Manowar are pretty entertaining to say the least. I know far too many stories about those guys, haha. They might not have much more than a strong cult following in the U.S., but man they have a massive fanbase in the rest of the world.

Comment

• Titan4ever
            Museum Patron
            • Oct 29, 2006

While I'm familiar with about half of the bands most of you guys have listed, the closest I get to this would be Rammstein. I picked up about 6 of their CDs over the last year and a half. Guess I am getting old...

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>the closest I get to this would be Rammstein.

They're pretty good. I"m not a big techno fan; but these guys got some good heaviness to them. "Du Hast" is another good workout song.

>Guess I am getting old...

Welcome to the club! Most of the music that's been mentioned here is at least 15 years old!

>They might not have much more than a strong cult following in the U.S., but man they have a massive fanbase in the rest of the world.

I find N. America tends to be EXTREMELY trend based, so anything that's not the current flavour is virtually ignored. No matter how vibrant and active practicioners of other genres may be. And it's all out there; somewhere. (Country music doesn't just go away between Shania albums....)

Metal seems to be popular everywhere else on Earth to an insane degree. It's interesting to see how groups that you never hear about in N. America have been putting out albums in Europe and Asia all along. Unfortunately it means I gotta go looking real hard for some stuff I want. Luckily we have the greatest music store in the universe here. (The only CD they HAVEN'T been able to find for me is "Suspended Animation" by the Monks.)

Don C.

Comment

• MegoNinja
                Career Member
                • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by Titan4ever
                While I'm familiar with about half of the bands most of you guys have listed, the closest I get to this would be Rammstein. I picked up about 6 of their CDs over the last year and a half. Guess I am getting old...
                Rammstein is a great band, I have all of their music and their music video's, I must admit that they are one of the best modern bands I have heard in a long time, I really am getting sick of their music and having to wait for their next album though.
                Does anyone here like Korn? I think they are another modern band which deserve's a lot of credit for their own style of rock and unique lyrics.
                I the Monster Hero

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>Does anyone here like Korn? I think they are another modern band which deserve's a lot of credit for their own style of rock and unique lyrics.

Y'know... I never really liked them. They aren't HORRIBLE or anything, but I find most of their songs are kinda... I guess "soft" is the word. Sure they sing about strife and struggle; but there isn't really any sense of RESOLUTION to their songs. Feels like half a story to me. There were a few bands that came out around this time that I got the same vibe from.

The only band from the last ten years or so that I liked was "Linkin Park;" even though they get a little emo sometimes. From the 90's the only group I really liked was "Big Rude Jake."

Don C.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                    Stays Crunchy in Milk
                    • Aug 2, 2004

My parents listened to 70's country

When I was young I went from Simon and Garfunkle, Elton John and Lynerd Skynerd and Prince

Once I hit high school I discovered Ozzy, Scorpions Van Halen and at the time my favorite band Accept

Right now it's all sort of blended together and I like a llittle bit ot of stuff. My wife gets blame for my love of jazz, but for the most part I'm rock and roll.

I just discovered the Smoking Popes. So right now that's what I'm most into.

Funny... My son perks up anytime Ozzy comes on. He doesn't know it's Ozzy or anything about Ozzy. It can be Sabbath or just Ozzy, but he's totally into it every single time. My wife and I laugh everytime this happens. Last night we're pulling into the library and Ozzy come on the radio. Noah says "Hey I like this song." My wife and I smile look at each other and say of course you do.
                    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Titan4ever
                      Museum Patron
                      • Oct 29, 2006

Yeah, Rammstein's definitely one of my guilty pleasures. I wasn't sure what to think the first time I heard "du hast" but it made enough of an impression that I decided to start looking for their CDs after recognizing them performing in the club scene of XXX. I guess my taste evolved enough by then to enjoy them. My friends didn't get it at first, but I really got into the texture of it.

Originally posted by ctc
                      Does anyone here like Korn? I think they are another modern band which deserve's a lot of credit for their own style of rock and unique lyrics.
                      I got into Korn very briefly when "freak a leash" was hot, but they didn't hold my interest very long. I spent 7 years in Iowa, and for some inexplicable reason, I never got into Slipknot either even though I liked a lot of what I had heard. I liked the musicality from both of these bands.

Originally posted by ctc
                      The only band from the last ten years or so that I liked was "Linkin Park;" even though they get a little emo sometimes.
                      YES. I really got into Linkin' Park. At my last real job, I used to listen to Hybrid Theory and Meteora on continuous replay on my PC. I couldn't wait for their most recent album to come out, but after checking out a lot of the tracks on YouTube, I was really, well, underwhelmed. I think I miss the introspective angst, emo or not.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>I couldn't wait for their most recent album to come out, but after checking out a lot of the tracks on YouTube, I was really, well, underwhelmed.

A lot of folks felt this way. There are three or four songs on it I really liked; and the rest fell into the "okay" category. I think this was an experimental album for them; it sounds different from their other stuff, possibly 'cos they're trying new stuff. (For instance: it's their first album with swearing on it.) So while it's not one of their best, it doesn't make me fearful of their NEXT album.

>I think I miss the introspective angst, emo or not.

The thing I liked about Linkin Park is that most of their songs aren't just them whining about something, there's an attempt to actually DO something about the problem. Wether or not it'll be successful. That's what I found missing from a lot of the other groups of the 90's/00's. Most of the time they were boo-hooing about things, but there was no sense of bothering to rectify the situation. *bleagh* I get enough futility and hopelessness from my REAL life. From my entertainment I prefer a little hope....

Don C.

Comment

• Titan4ever
                          Museum Patron
                          • Oct 29, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                          A lot of folks felt this way. . .. I think this was an experimental album for them. . .. So while it's not one of their best, it doesn't make me fearful of their NEXT album.
                          Don't get me wrong. I DO still plan on picking it up; it's just not as high a priority now. If I like a band, I generally tend to buy all of their album releases. I just wait to buy used CDs if I'm not dying for it right from the gate.

Originally posted by ctc
                          The thing I liked about Linkin Park is that most of their songs aren't just them whining about something, there's an attempt to actually DO something about the problem.

I Totally Agree. It's not the same wallowing that a lot of bands promote. It's one of the reasons I liked LP in the first place. I also like Trapt's and Hoobastank's earlier CDs as well. The later ones just didn't have the same kind of punch for me.

Originally posted by ctc
                          I get enough futility and hopelessness from my REAL life. From my entertainment I prefer a little hope....
                          I can definitely relate.

There are mornings I don't know why I get out of bed.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎