• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Last day at the hospital and the cafeteria had a great meal for $8:

Hospital Pork chop.jpg

They called it Asian pork chop & wild rice with squash & cabbage. Bonus they included a cornbread muffin so we are going to use that with a bowl of veggie chilli tonight.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
      Career Member
      • Jun 8, 2015

Monitor EP; sorry for being a nosy Berk, but is your dad ok??? if you don't want to talk about it, it's kool. Hope all is well.

JG.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

The third hospital straighted out the problems from getting released too early. My parents were able to go to church today so that is a big improvement. Thanks.

Today for Sunday Dinner boyfriend & I made homemade chicken & dumplings. We had most of the ingredients at the house so the only thing we had to buy was the cornbread muffins. Asian boyfriend got to learn how to make dumplings. We made enough for the four of us and 2 bowls of leftovers
        PXL_20240428_194746567.jpg

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

Payday!

So boyfriend & I are treating my parents to Texas BBQ:
          Brisket, chicken, sausage, and chicken baked potato with the sides for $50.
          PXL_20240429_180139438.jpg
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

At the moment sipping heavily processed potato/leek soup from a discount vendor.

Good stuff --- at the moment wouldn't trade it for a steak :>)

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
              At the moment sipping heavily processed potato/leek soup from a discount vendor.

Good stuff --- at the moment wouldn't trade it for a steak :>)
              Mikey!!
              You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                Career Member
                • Jun 8, 2015

True and SAD story...

1983, when I was a Junior in HS, I was all set to take HOME ECONOMICS in school as an elective. Well when my dad found out he was Adamant that I would NOT take it, he made me change it to POWER MECHANICS!

So sadly i did, I struggled for SIX month trying to take about and put together a CARBURATOR and I was stuck on that and needless to say I Flunked with a big fat "F" !

Meanwhile all my friends were in Home EC; making Pizza and cookies, pigging out and having fun and LEARNING HOW TO COOK!!

Dad came from That Generation where men didn't cook, the women did and he didn't wan his son doing "Wimmens work".

So for decades I have had to either get take out, dine out and either microwave a TV dinner or make a Peanut & Butter sandwich for my meals.

THANKS DAD!!!

I know, I know, "Why don't you take a cooking class or watch a Instructional video on Youtube?"

I have tried for eons to take a cooking class, but finding one is a lot harder than expected, I usually see "BAKING" Classes (PIes, cakes, cookies, pastries, etc,etc) and nothing that i need for a real meal. Or the "Learn to make your own Sushi" which I wouldn't mind, but sushi every night, plus it would be expensive.

The whole watch a Youtube video wouldn't work, my head is soooo screwed up that I would have to be in the SAME ROOM as someone to show me/teach me and I could then ASK Questions. Been that way my whole life...

SO for those of you who are chefs and cooks, I envy you more than you will know. I have FK'D up making burgers in a skillet, roasting chicken in a oven and making taco-meat. Pathetic y'know!

SO if you excuse me I am off to Burger KIng with my coupon to get dinner.

Cheers!

JG.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 19, 2019

I'm wondering if I can replace bacon in a carbonara with diced up prosciutto... the local shop was selling off end pieces at a heavy discount..
                  Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

King: All I can say it would give a different taste but then that could be a good thing. It calls for fatty cured pork so basically bacon so why not.

Jorge: When I was growing up my parents had a big garden, so I learned the whole cycle of veggies. I was self taught, my Mom was working late and Sad told me to fix dinner. Could be the 'gay' in me but I enjoy cooking and even when I was in the Navy I cooked meals for the whole ship, Captain included.

Now I am glad I learned some of this ideas and still learning. Since my boyfriend is Asian I am still learning to cooked different food that I never heard of.

Today's lunch of air-friend chicken strips with mashed potatoes or rice, peas & carrots and butted corn on the cob and coleslaw.

PXL_20240501_192814895.jpg PXL_20240501_193157620.jpg

I did buy a bag of what they called air-fried chicken tenders, not doing that again. It's not that hard to make them. My parents like instant mashed potatoes, I do not so for the two of us so made rice. Since I had to pick up breakfast for parents I just picked up extra gravy at Whataburger.
                    Last edited by monitor_ep; May 2, '24, 9:34 PM.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                      Career Member
                      • Jun 8, 2015

Monitor Ep: you would get a kick out of MY Navy Bean soup! One can of Campbell's Tomato soup and one can of Bean (and Bacon?) mixed into a pan and one cup of water or if I am adventurous, one can of V8!!! And I heat and 20 minutes later, lunch! Hahaha! Its not so bad, and I really wish I could make Stuffed Pepper, which is my fave. You're Boyfriend is lucky to have you!!!

Cheers!!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Today while watching baseball, I grilled up some hotdogs to make Chili Cheese Dogs with ranch beans (discovered we were out of baked beans). I simple meal but really an All-America meal that is a must when watching a ball game.

To my family this meal has been on our rotation for every other week, so my Asian boyfriend eats it, but it is NOT something he has gotten used to.
                        Chili Cheese Dogs.jpg
                        Last edited by monitor_ep; May 2, '24, 9:26 PM.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 11, 2013

Again, my parents were watching Baseball so what better that stadium food:

Grilled bacon cheeseburgers with sala cheese dip. At the high end this meal cost $15 for 4 meals (we grow our own veggies) and only ate a handful of chips. Bonus us the burger package was for 8 (so about $1 each) so we have extras for later.

I love cooking on the grill. During the summer we cook outside more than inside just to keep the house cool.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

Sunday Dinner: Parents are watching baseball so we are finishing up the grilled cheeseburgers with chili-cheese dip and HEB Cheeseburger chips.
                            PXL_20240505_172416986~2.jpg
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

Back to Home Cooking:
                              Today I grilled porkchops with onions. Add to it squash, zucchini and onions sauteed with butter. Fried potatoes and onions along with carrots cooked in butter water. It's a Southern meal that my family has cooked for decades, so as long as my family was happy with how it turned out it's a good day.

The veggies came from the garden so the only thing that cost was the porkchops. There was enough in the package to have another meal later this week. It was $11 for almost 4 pounds of meat. I think this is the second meal from that package and there is enough for one more meal at about $1 a chop.
                              PXL_20240507_190410839.jpg
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
                                Talkative Member
                                • May 11, 2013

This morning boyfriend wanted an Asian breakfast so we had purple yam porridge with fried egg and sausage patty.
                                It's like eating oatmeal with sugar. One thing is that it's colorful.
                                PXL_20240508_145236523.jpg PXL_20240508_145251850.jpg
                                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎