X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Justice League updates

Gadot is the only one whose interpretation I like.

Cyborg and Flash look like MASK characters they want to spin out of the Transformers series.

The bat suit is way too inflated. if Affleck was that huge, all the gossip would be about him and Roids. He's so disproportionate Flash looks like Kid Flash/Robin.

Dini and Timm. I will never understand why it was sooo hard to follow that model.
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

In this still anyway, it looks like darkness is STILL the key design word for the DCCU. Not a single one of these characters has any pop or pizzazz. They seem determined to steer The Flash down the same, color-drained road they traveled with Superman and, yeah, WW, too. Cyborg does look like a Transformer wannabe and I agree that, in a suit that bulky, how the hell would Batman be able to fight worth a crap let alone be stealthy. I'm kinda glad there's no Green Lantern involved because, doubtlessly, he would been put through the color-reduction process, as well.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by hedrap
      Dini and Timm. I will never understand why it was sooo hard to follow that model.
      Well put.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Cyborg looks like Megatron with heartburn here, but the rest look fine. Okay, not sure I like the Total Justice look on Flash, but the suit looked decent in Suicide Squad, if this is the same one.

The Batsuit is less puffy than the Milleresque take in BvS, so that's an improvement.

But yeah, DC in both films AND comics, should just follow the Timmverse lead at ALL TIMES!!!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I agree on the Timmverse vibe as well, you have a wonderful template right there. I also wish that Jon Stewart was involved.

The Flash look is slightly overwrought but it's the Flash, Cyborg is just bizarre to me.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

You mean guys with 64 inch chests, forearms bigger than their thighs and ankles the size of toothpicks? No thanks.

I think Timm's designs suck and I always will. Guy needs to try reading an anatomy book.

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by enyawd72
              You mean guys with 64 inch chests, forearms bigger than their thighs and ankles the size of toothpicks? No thanks.

I think Timm's designs suck and I always will. Guy needs to try reading an anatomy book.
              Obviously, I can't speak for what others may think of when they think of "The Timmverse", but for me, the odd anatomy is not what first comes to mind. I agreed with the comment about taking a cue from Timm and Dini because their work sets a tone that is not nearly as dark as the tone DC uses for its movies and, odd anatomy aside, you can recognize the characters from the comics without having to tilt your head to the side and say, "Well, I guess I can see that being so-and-so".

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Makernaut
                Obviously, I can't speak for what others may think of when they think of "The Timmverse", but for me, the odd anatomy is not what first comes to mind. I agreed with the comment about taking a cue from Timm and Dini because their work sets a tone that is not nearly as dark as the tone DC uses for its movies and, odd anatomy aside, you can recognize the characters from the comics without having to tilt your head to the side and say, "Well, I guess I can see that being so-and-so".
                Yeah, first and foremost, the writing and tone were excellent.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

^Ahhh...I see. Yeah, the stories were great, but GAWD can you imagine those designs turned into live action? Go for the ankles! It's their only weak spot! LOL

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    ^Ahhh...I see. Yeah, the stories were great, but GAWD can you imagine those designs turned into live action? Go for the ankles! It's their only weak spot! LOL
                    The costume designs are wonderful. I don't think anyone expected them to distort Ben Affleck's proportions like fun house mirror.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

It was designed for animation, and it works. Timm intentionally took a cue from Jack Kirby and developed his own style when it came to anatomy, allowing for dynamic action. For a look on how realistic anatomy can go wrong in animation, just look at the 90s X-Men cartoon, where muscles seem to float overtop the body.

I wouldn't want to see a live-action film with the Timm style (that would just be grotesque, as would a slavish Jack Kirby visual style), but in a Pixar-level animated movie, oh HELL yeah.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

To me? It's plain as day.

Timm/Dini?

The work they redefined much of the understanding of the DCU with is not seen by big bean counters as the substantial value it is worth because the bean-counters are more fixated on the "now" money instead of the more valuable long-term value of maintaining a brand with the care that a century old treasure like the DCU deserves... and, as far as any success the bosses would recognize from all the Timm/Dini work could be written off by WB/DC puppeteers as a more children-audience-geared fare....

...this DCU cinema thing is apparently a career-spanning move ("career" being the "occupation" of DC hero films, their origin starting in the post Batman '89 Frank Miller/Tim Burton era)... the more this goes om, well, I feel it's not crazy to surmise that "dark, gritty, serious" was a behind-the-scenes mantra/mission statement/edict from the heads that'd take a major shift to alter.

And really... who can blame them? (Besides the fans that know better, and a small percentage of easily subbed bitter theater-goers, some of which will come back for "the next one" regardless).

I can hear it now...
                        "So what if our DC hero live-action films are easily criticized for being an alternate DCU that's dark in tone and blurry with their traditional/classic DCU character personas? And, so what if Marvel film projects take a bigger piece of the superhero box-office pie? We STILL get major bucks from our films anyway... AND we can always make up for any lost money with the kids cartoons and their related merch... kids shows that we can (and do) reboot and pump out on a regular basis! Everybody wins.... except people who TRULY care about the fictional characters that define our brand (and that we are slowly obliterating the value of, although we can't recognize that because we never really stopped seeing the dollars roll in)!"
                        Last edited by huedell; Jan 27, '17, 4:35 PM.
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Dwayne - you're seeing it as an artist, which is understandable. Us lay folks are thinking tone and aesthetics. It's not possible to make Timm anatomic characters out of real people, but the color palette and streamlined designs his team used worked.

For example, I look at Batman and if he was black/grey or dark blue/dark grey, and minus half the Michelin muscles, he would look...human is the best word I can come up with. At that size, why would they need Superman?

And one more...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

One thing I liked about BvS was that they finally got some color in Batman's costume, or at least some tonal differences in the black and gray. Now were back to Monotone Batman.

Oh, and I'm an artist, and I love Timm's stuff.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              One thing I liked about BvS was that they finally got some color in Batman's costume, or at least some tonal differences in the black and gray. Now were back to Monotone Batman.
                              Yeah I actually dug the Batman suit in that movie, Superman not so much.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎