X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riffster
    Atomic batteries to power
    • Jun 29, 2008

Anyone like the new DC

The forever evil stuff is starting to get good.. I know most everyone bombs anything to do with the new Dc, is there anyone that likes it?

I honestly think it's getting better. As much as i love the classics I think it's growing on me
    Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
    And Super Powers Batman
  • CaptainTrenchcoat
    Career Member
    • Jul 6, 2006

Nope not for me. I now collect about 17 monthly titles from Independents that I hadn't been reading before the new 52. I read Batman Beyond and Batman Black & White from DC. That's it. I used to read about 20 titles from them every month.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

I tried to give it as much if a chance as I could but now find myself down to "Batman" and "Aquaman". And when Geoff Johns leaves "Aquaman" I probably will too. So I'm looking to an all back issue, trade paperback plan for my DC fix.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

The only issues I read are Batman Beyond and Aquaman. I did like the Threshold because they update the 60/70's space characters but that series is over. I have tried to get behind DC. I used to read all there titles.

The main problem I have is this was not thought out enough. If they would have truly started over on a different multiverse earth without any baggage from the past it would have made things easier. Instead they tried to incorporate some of the past with new origins on others, blend in Vertigo and Wildstorm and give Jim Lee full reign on the art department and you have a mess to deal with. It just got to me. I did like the idea of Justice League Dark and Demon Knights but that could have happened in the old DCU. Now I just collect TPB of the old DCU and hope one DC will discover that the DCnU is an alternate universe and rediscover the true DCU.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

^ I know DC said they were incorporating some past continuity, but the way it's working out, it is a new universe, but there's 5 to 10 years of uncharted history with a majority of the characters. Some of that history, which is being revealed a little at a time, is based on previous continuity or takes aspects of it, but it is essentially a new earth.

I like some of it. I'm reading most of the Superman books, Batman, Green Lantern, wonder Woman and Justice League/ Forever Evil.I like them. Imo, they are as good or better than what DC was printing.

I prefer the older continuity of the pre and post Crisis, and all of the costume changes were for the worse to me, but there is still some good stuff.

What I enjoy most are the Superman and Batman weekly digital series. They are more traditional takes on the characters.

I liked the first issue of Forever Evil.
          Last edited by madmarva; Sep 22, '13, 2:56 PM.

Comment

• ubermanx
            Career Member
            • Jul 3, 2013

Being a Johnny DC through and through I tried to like the New 52. I really did.

Some titles that were barely affected by the reboot seem to be going well such as Batman and Green Lantern. But others have left me scratching my head.

Earth 2 is horid but I continue to buy it just to see what beloved Golden Age hero they are going to screw up next.

Swamp Thing and Animal Man are trying to be weird just for the sake of being weird. Superman is back to that crappy policy that you have to read ALL the supes books to understand the story.

I do enjoy Vibe which is unexpected.

But like others I seem to be dropping New 52 books for other publishers. I find Captain Midnight from Dark Horse cool.

Marty
            Last edited by ubermanx; Sep 25, '13, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

everything I tried to follow got cancelled, so I have passed on all of the rest of it.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• boynightwing
                That Carl Guy
                • Apr 24, 2002

Originally posted by Riffster
                The forever evil stuff is starting to get good.. I know most everyone bombs anything to do with the new Dc, is there anyone that likes it?

I honestly think it's getting better. As much as i love the classics I think it's growing on me
                There is stuff I like and stuff I don't. Just like anything else I guess.

What I like? Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman, assorted Bat stuff. The Forever Evil is pretty good so far. I think the 3D gimmick covers look really nice and I don't feel like I need them all. I love Batman Beyond and 1966 Batman.

What I don't like: Teen Titans, Red Robin, Justice League, Superman (except Superman Unchained which is AMAZING!), that Trinity War BS, Dan Didio.

Comment

• BATMAN89
                  Mego obsessed!!!
                  • Jul 20, 2010

I haven't had time to read comic books for about 10 years now. If I did have time, I would skip DC based on what I have seen and heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                  Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                  My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Mego MkIV
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 9, 2013

I have to agree with Batman89,I haven't read comic books since the 1990s and from what I've herd and seen of the Nu 52 I'd pass on it.

Comment

• boynightwing
                      That Carl Guy
                      • Apr 24, 2002

I wonder if the internet existed 30 years ago, somebody would have posted "I haven't read comics since the 60's but from what I heard about this Crisis thing, I think I'll pass."

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>I wonder if the internet existed 30 years ago, somebody would have posted "I haven't read comics since the 60's but from what I heard about this Crisis thing, I think I'll pass."

Haw! I remember there WAS some of that sort of complaining back in the day, but not much. Most fans didn't stick around that long prior to the 80's, and those that did accepted that their faves were gonna change every few years.

DC was just coming out of the 70's collapse too, so there weren't that many old fans to cheese of. "Crisis" was an attempt to win some new ones.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by boynightwing
                          I wonder if the internet existed 30 years ago, somebody would have posted "I haven't read comics since the 60's but from what I heard about this Crisis thing, I think I'll pass."
                          I was an avid Comic Buyers Guide reader at the time (toy ads...ahem) and the buzz around crisis was largely good. Some complained that it was a dishonour to golden age Superman that he no longer existed but for the most part, I recall it being viewed as a good thing. It caught my attention, I hadn't picked up DC Superhero books since I was a young lad.

I was in high school when Crisis hit, college by the time it was rolled over and well, I've lost count since.

Nothing has impressed me with the new DC but Didido ran me out a couple of years ago so I haven't given it a chance.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Honestly DC put me out with the all the "mature" gore, dismemberment, rape, etc. years before the New 52 launch. Even at it's grimmest, the DC of yore always had an undercurrent of hope, and that right would prevail. It was slowly replaced with a meaner, more sadistic streak that goes against the nature of it's characters, in my opinion. I've actually learned to appreciate the New 52, if only because it gives me a clear demarcation to no longer care, because now these are OFFICIALLY not my versions of the characters, so I am no longer obligated to care.

I lived through Crisis and was 10 when it hit. I enjoyed the series, and the years following it were truly exciting with all the new books. I disagree that Crisis was necessary as I had NO problem keeping up with the continuity, and in fact the new continuity was much harder to figure out. BUT, while the grim and gritty of Dark Knight and Watchmen began to creep in, the characters were still mostly recognizable, and the past was still relatively intact, compared to the New 52 reboot.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jul 7, 2007

Really all Crisis did was merge the various parallel Earths into one. Only fans of the golden-age versions of the big 3 and their family of characters and Superboy really lost that much. You can throw Hawkman in there, too, but Crisis didn't mess him up as much as the decisions about the character afterwards. There were some continuity changes, but not many big ones.

I was a big Earth II fan and didn't like that Crisis threw a monkey wrench into the history. I liked Superman being the first Superhero in continuity as well as history and being the inspiration for others and Batman being next. That was lost with Crisis. As silly as the old Superboy stories were, I liked them. I liked him having a history with the Legion.

That being said Byrne's revamp of Superman was excellent to me and his use of Ma and Pa Kent with Superman as an adult really worked for me. Perez's revamp of Wonder Woman was excellent, particularly the origin. batman Year One was great, Giffen and DeMattis' Justice League was fun for a time. Grell's revamp of Green Arrow was good. All came post crisis.

The New 52 is close to what was originally planned with Crisis - a total rebbot - before cold feet prevailed, and what Didio wanted to do after Infinite Crisis but was stopped by Levitz.

I would have rathered DC stick with the past continuity and most of all not redesign the costumes, but like Chris wrote, I like the clean cut off.

Early on DC was saying all the past continuity had happened, but what DC didn't say is that it didn't happen to the New 52 versions of the characters. I think had the relaunch failed, DC wanted the option of going back to the old continuity, but when the New 52 succeeded - yes DC is selling more comics since the new 52 than before it - DC is running with it for the time being.

As Don points out there will be another reshuffling/refurbishing in 5 to 10 years and probably another reboot in 15 to 20 if not more quickly. The heroes are as commentators have been saying since the 70s are a modern mythology of sorts and weach generation adds a bit and takes away some bits to reflect the times.

When all is said and done my biggest issues are with busy, ugly costume redesigns and the destruction of the Teen Titans.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎