Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Variety's reporting Warner Bros and Legendary are breaking up their alliance because Legendary wants to develop its own properties and Warner's wants more control and more profits from its.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Ugh. I heard this may happen. This is NOT good for the future of DC on film...and especially a MOS sequel.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

When WB was in turmoil, Legendary thought they could hold out and get WB to "sell" them DC, with a number of contingencies. Tull was really trying to position them as the producer, and WB the marketing company.

I'm not surprised they bailed. You look at their overall record and Batman really saved them.

I agree this doesn't bode well for DC, unless it means Nolan/Goyer/Snyder become the architects for everything. At least then, we would at least have some kind of united idea. But those three are really the products of Legendary and Robinov, so who knows what's coming.

After watching Landis' rant, I had this strange feeling he was trying to see if he could create a geek swell of support and use it as a way to insert him into WB/DC, amidst the fallout. It's beyond rare for any filmmaker to do what he did because it can anger a number of agents, which makes future deals harder.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

So if Legendary branches out, do they have any rights to the DC license or is all of that wrapped up with Warner Bros?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

After watching Landis' rant, I had this strange feeling he was trying to see if he could create a geek swell of support and use it as a way to insert him into WB/DC, amidst the fallout. It's beyond rare for any filmmaker to do what he did because it can anger a number of agents, which makes future deals harder.
            I put him in the category of folks who like to hear themselves talk. I don't think he has any plan other than to shove his rather uninformed opinion down every one's throat, just because his Dad made some cool movies 30 years ago.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

I think Landis made some fair points in his rant, which is admittedly easy to do in a staged monologue where there are no questions, give and take or debate, but his ego and arrogance drowned out any point he did make. Again, like Mark Waid's dissenting and far more diplomatic blog post, he's just one, albeit pompous, voice among millions.

I don't know the ins and outs of the Legendary-Warners divorce, but the Variety article reads more like it was a Warner decision to not re-up the contract rather than Legendary pulling the rug from beneath them. But just because it reads that way doesn't make it so.

Since they were partners in the productions, I guessing Legendary's rights to work with Warner properties expires with the contract. But again, that's a guess. In other words, it seems to be a different situation than Marvel had with Fox and Sony with X-men and Spider-Man. Warner and Legendary were partners rather than licensor and licensee. Marvel licensed the rights to those properties well before beginning to produce its own films.

As for Goyer and Snyder and Nolan's relationship with Legendary and Warner, I'd think Warner would have gotten its ducks in a row before moving this direction if Warners was indeed the decision-maker in the break-up, but again who knows.

From the outside looking in, it looks shortsighted on Warner's part, but it might be the very thing that needed to happen.

Maybe Hedrep's got more insight on the whole thing.

With Robinov out, I wonder where this leaves Nelson? She was his appointment. I'd really rather see some one in direct charge of the comics other than Bob Harras and his cronies. It seems DC has a few creators who can chart their own course like Geoff Johns and Scott Snyder, which makes the editors all the more determined to ride herd over the other creators, making it difficult for creators who've worked under less dictatorial leadership through most of their careers.
              Last edited by madmarva; Jun 25, '13, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Sorry, his constant pretentious flinging of his hair throughout his rant just makes me wanna punch his hipster face.
                sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jul 7, 2007

^totally agree, lol.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Re: Legendary/WB. I think the pattern of events is Tull (Legendary), wanted more in-house control over co-productions, namely DCU, Robinov was never going to do that. Tull then started his comic line and original projects, which Robinov and others at WB saw as a conflict of interest. Robinov gets passed up for WB CEO and then effectively pushed out because MOS and Hangover 3 didn't equal expectations. Tull sees Legendary being relegated to a simple investor role, when he wants a full operational studio. The new WB brass won't kick Legendary out because they have a lot of pull with the talent, so they offer no incentives. Tull walks, because he sees WB now has Village Roadshow lined up as blind backers.

I think Nolan and especially Snyder are going to head with Tull if he gets a huge deal from Universal. If MOS doesn't equal the first Iron Man's 600M, or worse yet, doesn't beat Thor, I think a lot changes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a separate note, I saw MOS again because the Mrs wanted to see it.

Man, it really has some big logic flaws.

Why does Jor-El tell Zod about Kal's birth and launch? The guy just started a coupe, killed an old council woman, and broke into your home. What's to trust? My wife said it felt like Zod was supposed to be Lara's brother because of the familiar tone he directed at her, twice. I think she's right, and they just dropped it. It would also go to explain why Kal is so pained to kill Zod.

Also, why does Zod want Lois in the ship? I assumed it was a variation of the hostage situation in Superman II, but that motive is never said. No motive, is actually said.

I didn't realize it the first time, but the "bomb" at the end is actually a Phantom Zone rupture. So Faora, Meloni, the scientist, etc...are technically still alive.

Also, adding to my Codex + Krptonian Eve Escapes The Fortress theory - the World Engine actually changed the land mass and gravity of the Earth in the process. While it wasn't enough to recreate Krypton, it did alter the planet's physics. That's going to be another factor in explaining the meta-human explosion.

Zod's Kryptonian spacesuits are 90's Metallo.

The amount of Kryptonian outposts creates a huge Pandora's box for things like Kandor, and the fact one of the Kryptonians had died in a laser gun fight was very interesting. If all the explorations occurred 18 thousand years ago, how many DCU races are they connected to? It feels like a backdoor way to explain why the New Gods also look human; they're either Kryptonian descendents, or maybe their forefathers.

They extracted Kal's blood, but that went nowhere. So on one ship, somewhere in the Phantom Zone, you have the elements for Brainiac, Metallo, and when you combine his codex-infused blood with a dead Kryptonian fetus, Bizarro.

And where's Zod's body?

I also didn't realize until second passing that they didn't use any of Zod's major lines from Superman II, when he had numerous opportunities to drop 'em.

They really did miss some easy structural changes.

For example, why does Jor-El give him colored Kryptonian Under Armor, when no one on Krypton wears anything like it?

A simple scene of Kal shedding the armor because it's appears too aggressive, to hard to fly with, acts as a dampener for his ability to absorb solar radiation, something. Then have him change the colors from black, to red and blue, which foreshadows his last line about being "as American as it gets". You know how great a human scene of him flying through color patterns would have been? It would have synced perfectly with that last Kent flashback, when he's playing with the dog and Martha attaches the blanket to his back with clothespins.

I dunno. They were rushed. I get that. But if they get to do a direct sequel a lot of things have to be addressed.
                      Last edited by hedrap; Jun 25, '13, 7:42 PM.

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

I think your wife and you are right about the Zod/Lara point. I was thinking that or old boyfriend, but brother works better. Zod certainly, seems more than just good friend of Lara in those scenes.

I was thinking Meloni or the professor might end up as Metallo and possibly one of the Kryptonians being Cyborg Superman, but yeah the Kryptonians and possibly some Eathers were sucked back into the Phantom Zone.

Brianiac could end up being some AI left over from the ancient Kryptonian explorations or he could just be from another planet. No real reason to tie it to Krypton other than Nolan's desire for everything to have an explanation. I like your space seed theory, but it's really not necessary unless someone is demanding it to be tied into a bundle. It's as easy for me to accept mythic gods in fiction as it is humanoid, super-powered space beings.

As for Nolan, he's really in the Catbird seat. He can play Legendary, Universal and whomever against Warner and vice versa to get just about whatever he wants.

Whether Nolan and his cronies are around or not and whether MOS keeps flying at the BO or is grounded, Warner's should continue to use its DC characters for films, but it should also realize Goyer's not the only screenwriter who can write a super hero story. There's nothing wrong with a little variety.
                        Last edited by madmarva; Jun 26, '13, 1:47 PM.

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by B-Lister
                          I have no problem with this at all.
                          The casting of Fishburn was fine - the use of the character, his dialogue and execution by the creators - terrible.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by B-Lister
                            If they cast a white guy, it'd be a movie full of white guys.

Perry White is white in comics because he was created during a time when minorities were treated like crap.

The movie is racist against whites? Check your privilege. White lead, two sets of white parents, white villain, white love interest, white white white.

One character gets changed and it ruins the movie? Grow up.

I am not denying the movie had issues, but this isn't one of them.
                            Yep. What he said.

PS every time someone leads with an 'I'm not racist but' statement "I'm not making racist remarks [but] I'm calling out" the next thing they are going to say is inevitably racist.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

The "Half in the Bag" guys review the movie. Warning: adult language

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

I'm really bummed that so many people are harshing on this film. I think much of it is unjustified, and uninformed. I really don't understand how people expected Nolan, Goyer and Snyder to make a poppy, Whedonesque movie like Avengers. It was never going to be THAT kind of movie. Anyone expecting that, or Dick Donner's Superman should have checked the credits before sitting into their theater seats.

As much as I love the Donner film (and much of it's sequels), I never expected this movie to emulate them. Clearly, Superman Returns made that franchise "radioactive" to a point. WB wasn't going to allow a new Superman film to be a remake of Donner's. Singer already did that.

The folks at Superman Homepage did a nice podcast with their thoughts on the film. They explain away a lot of the things being leveled at the movie (like Superman killing Kryptonian fetuses, which he doesn't). I know these guys may seem "bought" since they got to go to the world premiere, but I feel like they saw the same movie I did. I'm not getting that from other podcasts and reviews I've read.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎