X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    In the real world, maybe. But in the world of fantasy, it's just the thing to do. From the Scarlet Pimpernel and Zorro to the Phantom, then Batman and so on.

I think Keaton did a great job, despite all the uproar over his casting. He worked for Tim Burton's Batman films. It was a combination of the right director and right actor making it work. Had Keaton been cast by someone else, and the movie not have that quirky Burton quality, I don't know if audiences would have bought it.

Chris
    I agree completely...that's what I was getting at. Keaton comes off as very unstable, which for the current "dark" persona of Batman works very well. Christian Bale played it too straight IMO, and comes off as ridiculous sometimes. You can only take this stuff so seriously. That's why I've always preferred the caped crusader in blue and grey working alongside the law. Just once, I'd LOVE for some bad guys in the comics to say, "Look dude...cut the act already. We all know you're not really a giant bat. You're just embarrassing yourself".
    It would make a great Robot Chicken skit.

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

What it comes down to is Tim Burton had a pay-or-play deal on that Superman fiasco. Kevin Smith revealed in one of his lectures that Burton agreed to develop a Superman film concept and even if it never got filmed he would receive 10 Million Dollars. I'm pretty sure Burton never expected them to approve his Superman film concept. It was just a way for him to make an easy 10 Mil.

Comment

• Figuremod73
        That 80's guy
        • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
        I don't know...I think Tim Burton is some kind of crazy genius when it comes to casting. Nobody thought Mr. Mom could play Batman, but there you go. Burton saw some quality there that nobody else saw. I still think Keaton is the only person who got the "crazy" aspect of Batman's personality. I mean, Batman is clearly nuts. There are so many more effective ways Bruce Wayne could fight crime besides dressing up like a bat. In fact, when you think about it, his whole gimmick was originally to convince people he was in fact a giant bat, and not a human being. Once everyone in Gotham realizes this is just a guy in a bat suit, the suit itself should become more of a hindrance than anything, yet Batman continues to pretend he's some sort of supernatural creature. This is the very definition of insanity.
        Imagine some guy dressed up in a gorilla suit pretending to be Bigfoot. He jumps out and scares a bunch of campers, who quickly realize it's just a guy in a gorilla suit, but the guy keeps acting like he's really Bigfoot. It goes from scary, to funny, to disturbing REAL quick.
        I absolutely love this analogy of Bats way of thinking. Thanks for that. I've always thought of it as his deep hatred of criminals because of what happened to his parents gone to the extremes. That would work well with his mind set.

Keaton's performance was one of the greatest things about Burtons Batman. He always gets overshadowed by Nickelson (who played a great Joker but didnt look the part). I thought the screen play was terrible though and the over all film just wasnt entertaining on multiple viewings but it was THE THING to watch back in '89.

I've thought for years how neat it would have been to have done The Dark Knight Returns and have Adam West play the aged Batman.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎