X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    Don't get me wrong, I want Cavill to portray Superman his way, and not reheat Reeve's performance. But no other Superman actor has yet to make the dual identity actually work. Reeve actually followed the comic's explanation for the conceit, and proved it could work, at least enough for the more cynical modern audience to accept it.

It is a bit harder to swallow Reeve's Kent as a crusading reporter, but his sincerity and conviction in his beliefs comes across, even through fumbling, bumbling Clark.

Chris
    Funny IMO the best actor who played Clark is hardly ever mentioned Kirk Alyn actually played Clark on point and actually of all of them is the one
    who actually looked different when he put on the glasses. He played him exactly as he is mild mannered in a low slightly higher pitch voice not baffoonie like Reeve did. Alyn took his cue from Bud Coyler who used a Falsetto voice for Clark and a Baritone voice for Superman

sorry but I never liked his Reeve's Clark I thought he played him like an idiot.

Clark is a top news reporter not a bumbling idiot. He's the nice guy that no one notices...and that's how he likes it. I still say it would have been nice if DC would have made a comic just focusing on Clark as a crime reporter something he actually has to do for 8 hours of his life.

That's one of the things that I liked about the Adventures of Superman when George Reeves was trying to solve a crime as Clark. the B&W episodes with him and Inspector Henderson trying to solve crimes added to the crime film Noir feel of the early episodes and the ones that best appealed to millions of kids.....

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by MIB41
      And one thing that is definitely missing in the trailer teaser... John Williams soundtrack. I'm sorry but that is like having a Star Wars or Jaws film without the music. It's Superman's signature score. It must be there in order for it to be Superman.
      No sorry, that score belongs to Christopher Reeve and him alone that is HIS score and what identifies HIS Superman. Just like George Reeves TV intro and the music that was used in the show...same with Kirk Alyn's and even Dean Cain's and throw in the score from the animated series all had their own versions.

I do not want to see it used for Cavill's Superman he needs his own version that identifies his take on the Character

Star Wars is it's own thing controlled by Lucas and the score belongs to his vision of those characters.....

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Funny IMO the best actor who played Clark is hardly ever mentioned Kirk Alyn actually played Clark on point and actually of all of them is the one
        who actually looked different when he put on the glasses. He played him exactly as he is mild mannered in a low slightly higher pitch voice not baffoonie like Reeve did. Alyn took his cue from Bud Coyler who used a Falsetto voice for Clark and a Baritone voice for Superman
        I think what holds Alyn back from being recognized as much is his broad approach as Superman. He kind of overdid the radio type voice and his mannerisms were really exaggerated as Superman. He looks more the part than George Reeves to me, but I prefer George's Superman. George's Superman was more nuanced and understated, whereas Alyn seemed to be playing it up for the kiddies.

Chris Reeve did say on many occasions that he was instructed to follow Alyn's lead and play Kent and Superman as two separate roles, unlike George who played them essentially the same.

I agree that anyone playing the Superman role after Chris Reeve has a huge cloud hanging over them. The man really invested himself into the character, from Kent's disguise to how he flew and way beyond. The conviction he brought to the role will be hard to beat.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

I think what holds Alyn back from being recognized as much is his broad approach as Superman. He kind of overdid the radio type voice and his mannerisms were really exaggerated as Superman. He looks more the part than George Reeves to me, but I prefer George's Superman. George's Superman was more nuanced and understated, whereas Alyn seemed to be playing it up for the kiddies.

Chris Reeve did say on many occasions that he was instructed to follow Alyn's lead and play Kent and Superman as two separate roles, unlike George who played them essentially the same.

I agree that anyone playing the Superman role after Chris Reeve has a huge cloud hanging over them. The man really invested himself into the character, from Kent's disguise to how he flew and way beyond. The conviction he brought to the role will be hard to beat.

Chris
          Absolutely, What many people just don't understand is Chris was a highly talented, classicly trained actor from Juilliard. who just happened to land a part that most actors would never had dared to take......Richard Donner and company were extremely lucky when he came to audition for the part.....

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I think Reeve saw the role as a challenge, to legitimize this character to adult audiences without making a mockery of what he stood for (something many comic creators fail to do) or forgetting the wish-fulfillment angle as well. In doing so he made Hollywood stand up and realize that these characters COULD be taken seriously, and we have all our new comic movies because folks like him and Donner were sincere in their appreciation of the character.
            sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

I think Reeve saw the role as a challenge, to legitimize this character to adult audiences without making a mockery of what he stood for (something many comic creators fail to do) or forgetting the wish-fulfillment angle as well. In doing so he made Hollywood stand up and realize that these characters COULD be taken seriously, and we have all our new comic movies because folks like him and Donner were sincere in their appreciation of the character.
              I think what was remarkable, that he was 25 years old at the time and projected his Superman as Older and wiser. even today his portrayal holds up extremely well......

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

It's still weird thinking Stalone was up for the role of Superman (in The Movie)

That would have sucked

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

More or less than Robert Redford?
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I think what was remarkable, that he was 25 years old at the time and projected his Superman as Older and wiser. even today his portrayal holds up extremely well......
                    Yep. I think Routh was right at the same age or older, but he still came across too young, especially since much of Reeve's history was intact in the film, and he'd been gone for five years too.

It's still weird thinking Stalone was up for the role of Superman (in The Movie)

That would have sucked
                    I think the Salkinds would have cast Charro if they thought she'd sell tickets. We really owe it to Richard Donner for grounding those guys and making them wake up from whatever they were smoking. They had the rights and saw it as an avenue to print money. They didn't care what they did to the franchise. I think the son Ilya cared a little, but the old man had no idea who Superman even was before buying the rights.

At one point Muhammed Ali was a contender!?!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Your on a roll Chris. Another statement I completely agree with. Well said!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I'm very passionate about Superman: The Movie. It remains my favorite film of all time. It was my Star Wars.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (and, to an extent, SUPERMAN II) is pretty much STILL, after all is said and done, the consummate super-hero movie. Perhaps that's because it was the first really serious big-screen take on a superhero, perhaps because it hit on (pretty much) all the right cylinder for a superhero movie (it had drama, action, comedy and no rubber suit) and most importantly, I think it was because Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve worked so well together to capture the essence of Superman. You throw in that instantly recognizable John Williams theme music and you have a timeless movie that transcends the super-hero genre and appeals to a much broader audience...
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

When I think back on society's view of superheroes and what we were getting offered on television was more or less hack interpretations, it remains a freaking miracle Superman the movie was executed, cast, and directed as well as it was. And to think they even got John Williams who was at his peak for scoring. It was truly well ahead of its day in spirit, style, and certainly direction for this genre. One curious footnote worth mentioning. Most people don't know that John Williams actually wrote two film cues for Superman IV. Nuclear Man and Lacey. But conductor Alexander Courage performed those duties because Williams was too busy with the Boston Pops Orchestra. It was a good time to be busy.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              Alan Scott is the best GL
                              • Aug 8, 2007

Saw a long trailer for Man of steel on Frodya before Raiders in IMAX. It looks like Kevin Costner is PA kent and there are shots of what seems to be a young clark with a red towel/blanket tied around his neck pretending to fly....OK here's my question in the real world we all pretended we were superman flying who is he pretending to be?

Comment

• madmarva
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jul 7, 2007

^Captain Marvel?

You know if Paul Newman had of been 15 years younger at the time, I could see him, though he didn't have the right stature. If you've ever seen the "The Wild One," Brando could have pulled off the role in the early 50s, which made him a better choice than I originally thought for Jor-El.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎