el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Agreed ^^^^^^^^^
    sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

I disagree, but I was a little late to the game.

By the time I did see it, it had already dated past the point of being a serious take on the character. And with some of the buffoonery in the film, I find it difficult to imagine it ever was.

Plus that ending was ridiculous both cinematically and physically.

It certainly did not make me 'believe' anything.
      Last edited by B-Lister; Jun 9, '13, 8:19 PM.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by B-Lister
        I disagree, but I was a little late to the game.

By the time I did see it, it had already dated past the point of being a serious take on the character. And with some of the buffoonery in the film, I find it difficult to imagine it ever was.

Plus that ending was ridiculous both cinematically and physically.

It certainly did not make me 'believe' anything.
        A healthy dose of retrospect would be well suited here. At the time, this film was the first of it's kind. It was also the first time a film in this genre had been given a serious budget to be taken seriously in scope. In fact the casting used to sell this picture is the same framework used in this genre today. So it's influence is timeless. There were also plenty of heroic moments (taken for granted now), that were new experiences for audiences back then. And the argument with effects can be applied to ANY film that has aged in just the past few years, let alone several decades. This is why I always snicker at Star Wars fans who dislike Lucas updating the effects from the original three. If he hadn't, those films would look increasingly dated as well. Hell, most movies made today couldn't have even been made five years ago. Not only from the special effects realm, but also from the attitudes that permeated both society and Hollywood about certain subjects. So this is a constantly evolving art form that demands a new visual thrill for audiences that have forgotten the first lesson Superman taught, which is making us believe a man can fly.
        Last edited by MIB41; Jun 10, '13, 6:35 AM.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Yeah, yeah!!! What he said!!! ^^^^^^^
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Well, tonight's the big Red Carpet Premier for MOS. The review embargo will be officially lifted and opinions on the movie will begin flowing. I'm hoping for some positive feedback on the film myself. Just from what I've seen, it looks like we'll see plenty if action, some good acting and a little humour, too.
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

After 10:00 PM I hope to start seeing some reviews. It's hard to know if Rotten Tomatoes will show anything at all until tomorrow morning, knowing how they enjoy making people wait and toy with what reviews they show first. What comes late tonight and through Wednesday in the form of reviews will complete the marketing campaign for this film. I will say I'm not a big believer in placing an embargo on any film review. It has a way of putting too much importance on what a critic has to say. Fingers crossed critics do not slow down the momentum going for MOS. One additional point worth mentioning. All of the Walmart early ticket offers will count in their entirety towards the midnight shows because Walmart bought them outright. So whether they sold all of them or not, the entire purchase of those one million tickets will apply. Never hurts to have a giant like Walmart in your corner.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                That 80's guy
                • Jul 27, 2011

I think Superman 1 and 2 hold up remarkably well for 30 plus year old films.

This morning I got a closer look at the new movie (some of the scenes I saw were non action) and I liked the actor playing supes. I'm more likely to go see it in the theater now.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                  I think Superman 1 and 2 hold up remarkably well for 30 plus year old films.

This morning I got a closer look at the new movie (some of the scenes I saw were non action) and I liked the actor playing supes. I'm more likely to go see it in the theater now.

Comment

• Operation:Mego
                    I'm the Star Spangled Man
                    • May 21, 2011

Has anyone seen the fifth trailer? It is EPIC!
                    sigpic
                    The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

Yeah---that NOKIA trailer was the one that converted me from a doubter to a very strong (one might say super-strong? ) supporter of MOS. It's just that good. I am hoping beyond all hopes that the movie is as good or better(preferably better at two-and-a-half hours) than that trailer and that this doesn't wind up becoming another INDEPENDENCE DAY, GODZILLA ('98) or, yeah, IRON MAN 3...

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

I'm hoping that this movie does well and doesnt go to much into familiar territory so there will be a sequel (Does JLA still depend on this doing well?) If theres a sequel I really want a villian that hasnt been used.

I would like to see Brainiac for a change. If they did the early eighties version, I would really love it.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Review embargo ends in a little over two and a half hours. Watch the premiere live...

Last edited by MIB41; Jun 10, '13, 6:28 PM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Deadline is reporting that WB are already officially fast-tracking MOS2 with Snyder and Goyer returning, and that Goyer is contracted for the JLA movie, too.

EXCLUSIVE: This isn’t exactly a surprise given the hot anticipation and theatrical buzz awaiting Man Of Steel‘s limited opening Thursday and wide release Friday in 4,200+ theaters. But I’ve learned it’s official: Warner Bros Pictures is fast-tracking the Superman reboot sequel with its successful twosome already in place: Zack Snyder reprising as director and David S. Goyer repeating as screenwriter. Goyer’s deal is part of a huge 3-picture deal he signed at Warner Bros for Man Of Steel, the sequel, and Justice League with Superman. What is a question mark next time is the role Christopher Nolan will fill. To reimagine this 3rd Superman franchise, Nolan stepped in as producer and mentor and story co-writer. I’m told that next time Nolan’s producer role won’t be as “full blown”. Hey, he’s busy working on other projects, and now the sequel is on firm footing just as the first’s 3D and 2D grosses start rolling in. (This isn’t a Green Lantern situation all over again: That pic badly underperformed. No way this one will.) Meanwhile, fanboys are speculating who’ll be the villain/s in the Man Of Steel sequel: Brainiac, Bizarro, Metallo, Doomsday, Darkseid, other?
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Operation:Mego
                              Has anyone seen the fifth trailer? It is EPIC!
                              Post #386 by Kingdom Warrior.

And since you missed that post of his, you orobably missed his other one...which is a never before seen extended fight scene...

Friggin' awesome!

sigpic

Comment

• Operation:Mego
                                I'm the Star Spangled Man
                                • May 21, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
                                Post #386 by Kingdom Warrior.

And since you missed that post of his, you orobably missed his other one...which is a never before seen extended fight scene...

Friggin' awesome!

I did forget that it was already posted but what's the harm in seeing twice? And yes, I have seen that clip. Here was my original response:

sigpic
                                The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎