X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Dredd Trailer

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

I always felt that Clint Eastwood would have been the perfect Dredd. He is after all the Dirty Harry of the future.
    I'm not that happy with the way this one looks, he feels a bit too..compact...for me. Like a short Predator...
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Very underwhelming.

The Judge armour has been toned down too much.
      The shots of Mega City One just look like present day NYC.
      The story they've chosen seems very small scale.
      It's clear they didn't have a very big budget for this movie.

Even with all its terrible faults, at least the Stallone version had some genuinely good production design and an epic scale.

Oh well... at least Dredd keeps the helmet on for the whole movie this time... or so I've heard.

And Ron Perlman would have made a great Dredd, in my opinion.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

PFFFFFFFTTTTTTTH!!!!!!

Don C.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

I like Karl Urban so thats a plus...looks decent
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Relatively low budget for SCIFI movies these days. It's shot in South Africa which is trying to developed it's film industry after the success of District 9.

It won't play too well domestically, unless September is a really dry month for action films, but will definitely do well overseas relative to it's budget since it speaks the universal language of guns and explosions and car chases.

I like Karl Urban, but my idea of a Dredd film is much more stranger and more idiosyncratic than this. I'd much rather see the Dark Judges, the cursed earth, or even the dated apocalypse war adapted than making a block war/drug dealers type film.
            Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 4, '12, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by samurainoir
              I like Karl Urban, but my idea of a Dredd film is much more stranger and more idiosyncratic than this. I'd much rather see the Dark Judges, the cursed earth, or even the dated apocalypse war adapted than making
              Yeah, Urban is a great choice but I was hoping for a little more sci fi. This seems influenced by the Nolan Bat movies.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

They got the look of Judge Anderson right. Hopefully if this kind of Die Hard on testosterone premise works for the first film, they will have a larger budget for the second so that we do get some action in the cursed earth, or Anderson does accidentally summon the Dark Judges.

The other element for me that s essential to the comic book Dredd is the black humour and satirical elements... Which basically tempers the fascistic premise of the Judges. Essentially the success of Dredd as a character in the eighties was in direct response to the social climate in Britain at that time.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 4, '12, 1:08 PM.

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by toys2cool
                  I like Karl Urban so thats a plus...looks decent
                  I like Urban as well, but for a movie like Dredd you need someone twice his size
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

If it wasn't supposed to be Dredd I think this film would have made a perfectly acceptable 80's post-apocalypse film. Everything I"ve seen of it looks like they sucked all the Dredd right out of it, for the sake of making a more generic action flick. Like a friend pointed out to me; the film is dark. The comic isn't. It's garishly bright, better fitting the insane setting.

The "Cadet Anderson" thing bothers me too. In the comic she's one of the few folks on par with Dredd. It seems wrong to depower her for the sake of providing an 80's action movie semi-competent female sidekick for the hero. Plus, she's one of their top psi-judges. Properly the film should be 10 minutes long. Dredd: "We gotta find the gang leader." Anderson: "She's in apartment 2305, Cheesy McGuffin block." It'd be like making a film where the bad guy escapes Superman 'cos Supes can't fly. Or Superman teams up with a young, inexperienced Batman to show him the superheroing ropes.

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

^^^
                      so she's not a Psi Judge? That's really too bad. He quirkiness in the comics made her a good foil for Dredd.

I guess I understand why they are playing this so straight for commercial reasons, but for Dredd to be heroic, his opposition needs to be ridiculous and overtly monstrous and over the top. I like Sarah Conner, but her bad guy here seems way too pedestrian.

This for example, to me is the kind of defining Dredd moment, which we are unlikely to see in this film.

Although admittedly, I'm kind of hoping for enough success to warrant a stupidly detailed and expensive Hot Toys figure I can custom into a comic incarnation.
                      Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 4, '12, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
                        I like Urban as well, but for a movie like Dredd you need someone twice his size
                        Urban is 6' 1"...Stallone is 5' 10"

You were saying?

sigpic

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

>so she's not a Psi Judge?

I don't know how that's gonna work but I suspect not. Like I said, it'd end the film WAY fast. (Unless she discovers her powers during the film.)

It would have been a lot better to make her Judge Dekker; one of the cadets Dredd tested during the comic. (His best recruit, actually.) The actress even LOOKS like Dekker.

>I guess I understand why they are playing this so straight for commercial reasons,

Yes and no. They're playing it safe, but Dredd isn't the kind of story you'd really want to do that with. It'd be like Superman who can't fly, doesn't wear undies over his tights, and was actually born in Ohio. Sure; you COULD produce that story, but why bother? Other than appropriating the name.

>This for example, to me is the kind of defining Dredd moment, which we are unlikely to see in this film.

In an interview, Brian Bolland called that his greatest moment.

Don C.

Comment

• Brazoo
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 14, 2009

The director, Pete Travis, has made 2 feature movies that both look like TV shows and take themselves way too seriously - so this was not a movie I expected much from anyway.

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Duncan Jones rules - From Wikipedia:

Director Duncan Jones turned down an offer to direct the film, though he thought the script was "great"; he explained his reasons stating:

Thing was, I had such a strong idea of what I wanted to do with a Dredd movie, I could not bring myself to take it on and not do it my way! ... and it's not like I could do it as a sequel either; my Dredd would have been really weird, and dark and funny, but not your traditional introduction to a hero character.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎