Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

Also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Raimi was not happy with how SM 3 turned out and was not coming back. On the heels of that I believe the stars did not want to come back either, so reboot it is. As documented elsewhere Sony isn't giving up a guaranteed cash cow. As a big Spider-Man fan I like the angle they are using telling the story using some elements from a different era (Gwen and Capt. Stacy) rather than just a continuation of what we've seen. The way I look at it, is the original three movies told one story and this is telling another, no different than two different story arcs in the same title.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I'm pretty sure Raimi and Maguire were ready to return, and a script was written involving the Vulture, to be played by John Malchovich. Then all of a sudden all of that was scrapped for the reboot.

Unless all the above was speculation passed on as "fact". Wouldn't be the first time on the internet.

But yes, Raimi was kind of already saying he wasn't happy with Spidey 3 as soon as it premiered. The studio really dictated what they wanted with that one, and it shows...A-LOT.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

^^^Story or rumor is Riami was pizzed at the studio's interference in film-making. Supposedly they wanted to have more merchandisable characters. After the success of SM2 tho, you would think they would let Riami do his magic. SM2 seemed to really be the successor to Superman the Movie. It fired on all pistons and really presented the character as he should be.

Venom in SM3 seems like an added-on plot. You can tell from how the film turned out Sandman was better served by the storyline than Venom. I think they should'a went the Hobgoblin route instead. It could be the studio preferred Venom to be the only villain in SM3 rather than Sandman. Riami favors the old villains rather than the newer ones.

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

answer to original post:

money

as to needed another origin movie: garfield (parker) said it is not. the origin will be told in pieces through 3 movies

did raimi and mcguire want to return? not especially. dunst said they couldn't make spidey without the 3 of them. she was wrong. they even set it up to write her out of a possible spider-man 4.

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

I'm just glad there's a Spidey movie coming out this summer, and three weeks later a Batman movie.

Originally, I was in Chris's corner. Recast but don't reboot; however, my favorite Spider-Man period was when he was still in high school or the early college years, so I think going back to the early days will be to my liking.

I like that they are going with Gwen Stacy as the girl friend. Though I prefer Mary Jane, the character Dunst played wasn't the character from the comics, or at least not the happy-go-lucky good-time girl characterization.

But the Rami films are great to me. I even like the third one, though it is inferior to the first two. Kind of like an issue of Marvel Team-Up instead of Amazing Spider-Man.

Obviously, I could nitpick the film before seeing it (I'll wait for Man of Steel to do that), but I'm going to give the movie the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Why this thread being posted so late in the game?

This topic has already been discussed to ad nauseam many times before already...

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Because Mikey just woke up and realized there was a new Spider-Man movie, and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, apparently.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

A few reasons I'm happy that they're touching on the origin story again: (1) Gwen Stacy was Peter Parker's first girl friend, not MJ.(2) Peter invented mechanical web shooters...no more organics! (3) I like Garfield better than McGuire as Peter Parker.
                  sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Megospidey
                    Because Spider-man is a cash cow. Period.

He is Marvel's A-list superhero, and he is more popular now than he ever has been.
                    Hear hear errr Mooooooooooo Mooooooooooo

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      ^Because Mikey just woke up and realized there was a new Spider-Man movie, and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, apparently.

Chris
                      Someone needs to tell Mikey about Google...
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by The Bat
                        (1) Gwen Stacy was Peter Parker's first girl friend, not MJ.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Brazoo
                          After that, I might tap out and spend the rest of my limited entertainment dollars elsewhere.
                          come down to the dog park tomorrow, and I'll buy you that lunch I owe you.
                          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Yes, Betty Brant! The early comics AND the 67 cartoon made me appreciate Ms. Brant.

Ditko is awesome, but I gotta say the girls got MUCH prettier when Romita took over though. Betty looks like Sinestro's paler sister there!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                              Is it just about the money ?
                              It ALWAYS is.

Originally posted by Mikey
                              Will we see Spider-Man rebooted every 10 years from now on ?
                              If that's how the studios wanna do business... then definitely.

Its pretty black and white it in that way, Mike.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Megospidey
                                Museum Webslinger
                                • Jul 26, 2006

That's right - most people don't realize that Betty Brant was his first girlfriend. She wasn't a high school romance, but an office romance when he was hired on as a photographer.

I am happy that they are starting with Gwen Stacy though. She was his first, true love.

I hope we eventually get a great Mary Jane out of the films...she is 10 times more interesting a character than Gwen Stacy.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎