X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Why reboot Spider-Man ?

I just seen my first TV trailer for the new Amazing Spider-Man movie.

The "old" movies aren't that old and are still pretty popular

Why reboot them so soon ?

Is it just about the money ?

Will we see Spider-Man rebooted every 10 years from now on ?
  • RickD
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 31, 2011

why not reboot? Studios make a lot of money! fans love it! merchadise goes off the charts!

After Sam Raimis third Spiderman, I think they about were done with Spiderman on that end. Time to put Spidey back into the right direction.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Why not is more like it! Ever since the credits rolled on Spider-Man 3 I've been jonesing for more Spidey.

I can't freaking wait for ASM...looks even better than Avengers to me.

Comment

• Tothiro
        Kitten Mittens
        • Aug 28, 2008

Just for perspective, how many times has Batman been rebooted now? I get that the point is it's really soon... but it may be a situation in which they needed to get something to screen in a hurry or they'd lose their production rights. That's what happened with X-Men: First Class... so maybe that's the deal.
        Also I imagine it's easier to reboot when you're changing the production team and entire cast. There's probably less confusion from people going "Heywaitaminute! That ain't Peter Parker!"

Now they just have to hurdle the "Heywaitaminute! How come Spidey's wearing beach shoes?!?" problem.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

The movie looks good, but if I had my druthers I'd gone for a soft reboot. Like the James Bond franchise has done for decades. Like the Batman films did until the Nolan series. Change some of the cast, but not retread the origin.

I'm not going to hold it against this movie (much) but I wish we could just get to Spidey in action. I think Raimi covered the origin very well.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

My issue with the reboot is why do we have to the origin of storyline again.... I'm fine with a different actor etc, but just get into the movie without the whole, "hey I can climb on walls", part.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Teen Girls = $$$.

Reboot to High School and you get more of that sweet sweet lucrative Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games demographic. the oldsters will be watching this no matter what anyhoo.

I honestly don't think the origin will take up as much space as the original did. I have no doubt that they will be emphasizing the parts of this origin we haven't seen before... Peter's father as a genetic scientist, his parents disappearance and his partnership with Curt Conners.

There is actually ample evidence that the spine of this script came from the potential fourth Raimi Spidey outing. Credited screenwriters are the ones that Raimi used for his films, the last film introduced Gwen and her father who are the major players in this one, and Curt Conners has been sitting on the sidelines watching Peter not live up to his potential for the last two films. This is probably really close to a "soft" reboot if you take away the superficial Ultimate U trappings around casting and the suit design.

At the end of the day Reboot seems to be the age old "New and Improved" sales pitch. Plus it refreshes the licensing potential after a decade of the Maguire spidey suit saturating every product known to mankind (it's a huge reason why the producers were so gung ho on the Black Spidey costume for the third film... despite Raimi's reservations and obvious preference for The Lizard.).
              Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 12, '12, 12:05 PM.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• AO
                • Feb 12, 2011

It's all about licensing. You know how Marvel Studios has been building their own movie "universe" which recently culminated with the Avengers. Well despite Spider-Man being a Marvel character, Marvel couldn't use Spider-Man in a movie because of the existing licesing agreement that has been with Sony for decades. Per the contract Sony has to make a new movie every four-five years or the rights go back to Marvel. So essentially, Sony didn't want to lose the rights but neither did they want to pay the tens of millions of dollars to Raimi, McGuire, ect; to make a Spider-Man 4. Hence a "reboot."

Comment

• clemso
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 8, 2001

Way before Rami's trilogy, I remember when the Spider-Man movie was in development hell, James Cameron was attached and nothing was happening for like 10 years or so. So right now, i am just happy that they are making them and who knows, perhaps James Cameron will eventually get a crack at it.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

The "Scriptment" claiming to be Cameron's has been floating around the web for years now.
                    http://www.teako170.com/cameron.html

Anyone else remember all the much ado about nothing that overzealous fans put into the long defunct http://www.noorganicwebshooters.com prior to the release of the Raimi films? What ridiculously wasted effort that was.
                    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

It's a good way to do the same old, while making folks think they're getting something new. Like the comics, you don't want the story to advance too far from the basic premise.... so you dial it back every so often. It's also a great way to invalidate all your old merchandaise. "No mom; not THAT Spiderman! I want the NEW one!"

Don C.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                        The DarkSide Customizer
                        • Apr 16, 2005

Why Reboot ?

... Because some Damn Fool Recently thought of the Idea, that Block Buster Summer Movies Come in 3's These Days ...

Batman's Next ..., and Rise isn't even in Theaters yet, and all anyone wants to talk about is Batman without Bale. Instead of like a Worlds Finest Movie with him and Bale, introducing WonderWoman, and the start of The Trinity ...., which could Finally give WB some Stomping ground for the JLA.
                        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Megospidey
                          Museum Webslinger
                          • Jul 26, 2006

Because Spider-man is a cash cow. Period.

He is Marvel's A-list superhero, and he is more popular now than he ever has been.

Comment

• Brazoo
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
                            I honestly don't think the origin will take up as much space as the original did. I have no doubt that they will be emphasizing the parts of this origin we haven't seen before... Peter's father as a genetic scientist, his parents disappearance and his partnership with Curt Conners.
                            Yeah, but in that sense the whole movie could be nothing but origin, no? Maybe it's a glass half-full/half-empty thing? I don't know. I hated "(500) Days of Summer" SO much.

Honestly, I feel like the summer movie grinch this year. I still haven't seen "The Avengers", and I'll probably have a lot of fun if I go, but I just don't have the energy or something. The only movie I'm excited to see right now is "Moonrise Kingdom". After that, I might tap out and spend the rest of my limited entertainment dollars elsewhere.

Comment

• suspense39
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 16, 2008

i totally agree

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              The movie looks good, but if I had my druthers I'd gone for a soft reboot. Like the James Bond franchise has done for decades. Like the Batman films did until the Nolan series. Change some of the cast, but not retread the origin.

I'm not going to hold it against this movie (much) but I wish we could just get to Spidey in action. I think Raimi covered the origin very well.

Chris
                              other than the web shooter .

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎