Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

It's interesting to hear how many people feel motion sickness from the 3D effect. I had horrible motion sickness as a kid and still can't ride in a plane without downing a couple of Dramamine tablets. The theme park rides that are part 3D along with motion are not fun for me at all, but the 3D movies really don't effect me at all. My son also has bad motion sickness and he feels the motion sickness effect of 3D and refuses to watch movies in 3D. I also hope it is just a passing fad. Our local theater (and the only one around) almost always has half of the new movie showings in 3D (I guess to squeeze more dollars out of you).
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

3D is nothing more than a brain manipulation. Have you ever wondered why some 3D glasses have two different color lenses? It's because each color travels to your brain at a different speed. That's why they have those colors outlining certain characters and objects. When you put on the glasses, your brain can't process both colors at the same time, so you get a delayed reaction that gives you "depth" perception. Another method is by showing the image twice but with one slightly closer than the other. Your brain processes that with a sense of depth as well. My father in law has a 3D TV with the expensive glasses you have to turn on when you watch it. I experimented and put in the 1931 Frankenstein and guess what? I was watching it with some degree of 3D perception. It was wild. But it was also a trick because of the technology used between the television and the glasses. But once again it felt more like I was watching the film through a Viewmaster.
      Last edited by MIB41; Jan 31, '12, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

The only reason I really don't like 3D movies is since I already wear glasses to see I hate having to wear 2 pairs of glasses at once to watch the movie. Kinda makes it a pain.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

Hugo makes great use of 3D, best since Avatar. A Christmas Carol was good, too. the snowflakes were fantastic.

I think 3D works best with animated projects.

I've never had any eye-strain or headache issues with 3D. What I find, though, is after the first few minutes my eyes tend to adjust to it and I really don't notice the effect.

Kind of like watching a foreign film. At first reading the captions is annoying but once I get into the story I forget about it.

Comment

• kennermike
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 4, 2007

Here we go with the gimmicks again! I hope this film turns out decent I really do !

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Toy Talk
              I wonder why that is. Maybe I will give another 3D a try if I can score a normal pair of 3D glasses.
              For me, I think the main problem was that the wraparound glasses don't fit my face well. I have a really wide head.

Also, I might have a bigger schnoz or something, because the nose-rest piece seemed to aim glare into my eyes the whole time. On the regular glasses the nose-rest is flatter, so I think that's one thing that helped.

The IMAX movie seemed darker too - so maybe that was causing extra strain on my eyes. I'm really not sure - these are all just guesses - but I had no problem in the regular 3D movies I've seen - only the IMAX ones - so it's just a suggestion!
              Last edited by Brazoo; Jan 31, '12, 5:27 PM.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

That's pretty cool!

sigpic

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jan 17, 2011

I've been to 3 "Real 3D" movies - Thor, Green Lantern and Captain America. Didn't have any problems with Thor, when I went to GL the image didn't fully combine and I had a "ghosting" image which drove me crazy and gave me a headache, Captain America also had the "ghosting" image ( not as bad ) and while I'm looking forward to the Avengers I'm not looking forward to the 3d problems. I did sit on the right side to the theater for Thor and the left side on the other 2, don't know if that had anything to do with the problems.

I also wear glasses.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

I refuse to watch 3D ...
                    If thats all they offer ..., then they don't get my Money.
                    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• kennermike
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                      I refuse to watch 3D ...
                      If thats all they offer ..., then they don't get my Money.
                      Agreed Bro!

Comment

• boynightwing
                        That Carl Guy
                        • Apr 24, 2002

I know a lot of people don't like 3D (because I work at the movies). I hear a lot of how things don't look 3D and or how they don't utilize it. For the most part I agree. It isn't necessary.

What I can tell you is that it is 3D. It's just more depth of field then in your face 3D. IMAX is more in your face then the Real D. I hated the IMAX glasses until I discovered that the Child size ones fit me. They are much more comfortable.

I've been suggesting for years now that they should sell glasses such as this that people can take home and bring back for other shows. I got my hands on some purple Beiber glasses that we gave out on the first night of his movie. I took them home, scratched his name off and then painted HAHAHAHA in green all over them. Perfect Joker 3D glasses. :D

As a side note, I'm starting to see 3D as the fad that it is and I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years it gets phased out.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎