X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boynightwing
    That Carl Guy
    • Apr 24, 2002

I think it'll be a great show.

I didn't care for the bland backgrounds. It reminded me too much of Beast Wars but that show was made in the 90's when CG was new so it was excusable to have low rendered background shots.

Nathan Fillian as Hal can never be a bad thing.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Josh Keaton is Hal on this series. Fillion is Hal in the Emerald Knights DVD and upcoming JL: Doom feature.

The backgrounds didn't bother me, except on Earth. They were a bit under-developed there, but given the scope of this series, I don't think Earth is going to be in it much.

The bigger upper body thing is just Timm's style.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Operation:Mego
        I'm the Star Spangled Man
        • May 21, 2011

Originally posted by madmarva
        I liked the show, but would have preferred it have been done in regular animation. I did like some of the effects on the costumes that would have been more difficult in traditional animation.
        Was his look in Justice League Unlimited the look you were expecting? I personally wanted his First Flight look for the show, but I like the vinyl-ly look he has in the show.

When I heard Hal and Kilowog would have a starship, I didn't like the idea, but now that I saw it, it kind of works. Better than Hal being given a talking dog like would have happened in the 70s.
        I didn't mind the space-ship that much, it was the Kilowog/Jordan buddy team-up that I was looking forward to.The premise kind-of sounds like an Eddie Murphy movie. With Murphy (Hal) as the reckless rookie, and his co-star (*Insert other actos name here) Kilowog, as the "I'm too old for this ***!" attitude.

And funnily enough, they was supposed to be a Daredevil T.V. in the 80's in which he was supposed to have a dog patner called "Lightning the Super-Dog". But the only person with a talking dog should be Superman.

I've read that other members of the Color Corps show up in the first season, although Sinestro was taboo because of where the movie sequel was supposed to go. Unfortunately, that sequel is probably dead.
        I still have hope that a sequel will happen. Critics may have hated it, but fans (including me) loved it, and hopefully with the Toy, DVD, Blu-Ray, and Video Game sales, the people in charge will see how much fan support Green Lantern has and will make a sequel.
        sigpic
        The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          i really liked it. has a great sense of fun and adventure.

did not care for the CGI animation though but I suppose it will grow on me. I just felt the movement was not quite right, they drew Hal and Killiwog with the upper body too disporoportionate to the lower.

since the show obviously deals with people getting killed, it would be really cool if they did a big blackest night story arc and include the other hero characters from the DCU
          Timm's style has aways been with the huge upper chests. Have you seen any of the DCAU shows? Batman's and Superman's are the biggest (for human bodies I mean).

And Timm said in an interview if the show goes on for more than one season, "Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner and John Stewart might be introduced." So hopefully that story-arc will be adapted.
          sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by boynightwing
            I think it'll be a great show.

I didn't care for the bland backgrounds. It reminded me too much of Beast Wars but that show was made in the 90's when CG was new so it was excusable to have low rendered background shots.

Nathan Fillian as Hal can never be a bad thing.
            This show is awesome, better than I was expecting! I don't know who the Red Lantern's are but Atrocitus seems bad-***.

Funny enough, Nathan Fillion isn't voicing Hal in this series, Josh Fine (The Spectacular Spider-Man) is. He voices Hal in Green Lantern: Emerald Knights and the upcoming Justice League: Doom: DTV. And I like Christopher Meloni better anyway. Of course that doesn't Fillian's is bad, it just sounded too deep IMO. And Josh Fine's sounds too much like Spider-Man, but that doesn't mean his is bad either, just too recognizable.
            sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Just saw the commercials.....the CGI animation didn't thrill me at all....crap on a stick
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                Just saw the commercials.....the CGI animation didn't thrill me at all....crap on a stick
                Have you seen the show? The animation is just as good as The Incredibles (If not better). And that's for a T.V. show, whereas the movie cost $92 million!!
                sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I wouldn't go that far. It's not Pixar level by any means. The style is similar, but the detail and animation aren't there. BUT, it's well done for TV. And it's written just as intelligently as Timm's other shows. Give it a shot.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Saying its better than Pixar is a big stretch. GL is well done for a tv show, and captures Timm's style pretty well.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

I watched it... and it didn't grab me. Coming in, I knew next to nothing about Green Lantern (well, I probably know him best from The Brave & The Bold, if that is any indication...)

Not to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but at the end, when Killowog says, "Yeah, I didn't think of that until he said..." Really?!? Not the only reason I had trouble with it, but it certainly stood out.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>the detail and animation aren't there

Yeah. It seems like our CGI stuff is always flat and featureless. (And still staged like a 60's cartoon!) 'Course, I know I've been spoiled by stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z7R36sK8hY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcx5GX_pvj4

The Quasi-Triumphant Return of Cyborg 009 - Topless Robot

....but why can't WE have nice things too? Wouldn't it be awesome to have a Justice League that looked like this?

*sigh*

Don C.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          Alan Scott is the best GL
                          • Aug 8, 2007

it was good not great. I am old so I prefer 2d cell animation but I can live with it. Since I never read the lantern war stories it's all new to me so that will help me to enjoy it.
                          Bruce is in the groove and I hope it gets picked up. It's not nearly as good as BAS or JL/JLU but I think it could be on par with SAS in the end.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎