Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

The out the Window Relationship of Ronnie & Jason with Deathstorm did sorta upset me .... That was good stuff imo .... But I am such a huge fan of Simone's writing for the most part, I wanna stick with it.

Red Hood & The Outlaws and Batgirl were my total Favorites so far , they are the books that had the Strongest appeal to me. Reis is a Beast On Aquaman , but I am also disapointed if the Blackest Night stuff is stripped from the character .
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

For the time being I'm in for:
      Superman
      Action
      Batman
      Detective
      Batgirl
      Batwoman
      Knightwing
      Swamp Thing
      I Vampire
      Demon Knights
      GL: Sinestro/Hal
      Gl: Kyle
      GL: John/Guy
      Aquaman
      Flash
      Frankenstein
      Resurrection Man
      Wonder Woman

Maybe on:
      Teen Titans
      Superboy
      Green Arrow
      Red Hood
      JLI
      Justice League Dark
      Firestorm
      Birds of Prey

I thought some of the other books were well done like Animal Man and Legion and Legion Lost, Johna Hex, Suicide Squad but there is only so much money and time.

I thought Hawkman, the War Book, Black Hawk and Hawk and Dove were terrible. (Do I subconsciously have something against hawks?).

The Deadman story was well executed, but I don't get why the origin really needed to be changed. More lost than gained to me. Deadman's always been a great guest star to me but not a lead I'm interested enough in to follow very long.

I really enjoyed both Superman books much more than I ever thought. Snyder's Batman is great and Tony Daniel's Batman art on Detective is the best he's done and not a bad read. Finch's Batman book left much to be desired to me.

I'll probably buy Red Lantern through issue #3, but it really needs to pick up. First issue did nothing for me. Would have rather seen a Sinestro Corps book. The whole GL concept is probably spread too thin for me right now.

Aquaman was as expected with Johns and Reis on the book.

Flash probably was my biggest surprise. I really enjoyed it after being terribly disappointed with the Johns series that led up to Flashpoint. I know the art isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Manapul did some really nice design work on the book.

Wonder Woman could be good with the gritty greek gods thing.

Green Arrow has gone a 180 from the Mike Grell revamp, which might be a good move. It's basically the Smallville Green Arrow sans all the connections with that cast. This could be good.

The Birds of Prey book didn't do much for me other than the one scene with Barbara Gordon. I probably want to see how that angle plays out.

My biggest issue with the New 52, though is the price of the digital versions. I understand that DC is wanting to protect the Direct Market for the time being, but through my subscription service I get the actual books cheaper than even if I waited a month for the $1 drop in the digital price.

I wouldn't mind converting to digital at least with some of the titles, but I'm not going to do it if it costs more than buying the actual book.

If I could get the books digitally at 35 percent off like I do the actual comics, I'd probably make the shift.

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

I forgot I bought JLI .... I still need to read that .
        ... I didn't buy Hawk & Dove ..., Hawk's Grey instead of white is Horrible to me, and I also can't say much for the creative Team. It's a Shame, Because I love both the Characters, But other than Blackest Night, Brightest Day and 4 issues of The previous Birds of Prey ... I just can't think of anything I've read with'em Both that I've ever really Enjoyed.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

The two issues of JLI are pretty standard super hero fare. But, it looks like Booster's going to be a primary cog in it. I really enjoyed the Booster series with Rip Hunter where they were combatting problems in the time stream, but it wasn't selling like DC wanted.

Fire and Ice and Crimson Dynamo are throwaway characters to me. The Guy/Booster/Batman mix I like. The August General in Iron underwear and Godiva characters are nothing to me. Right now I'm buying it for Booster, but it's going to have to get better to stay on my list.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

If you're following Swamp Thing it looks like it's a package deal with Animal Man for the upcoming year long storyline that seems to be some kind of War between the Red and the Green (not Lanterns if we are lucky).

Decided to drop JLI and Stormwatch. Been meaning to check out Firestorm for Simone, but it really has no interest for me on the surface.

So for those that have bought titles in the new 52... Are you now following more books than you did pre-reboot? I have to admit that I am quite surprised at the number of new books I sampled and the number of DC books that I'm hanging onto right now as a result. Marvel still has the bulk of my mainstream monthly dollars, but as marketing initiatives go, DC's bid did have a small degree of success on me and my $$$ votes.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• BlackKnight
              The DarkSide Customizer
              • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ For the 1st time since Loeb/Lee Hush ..., I am buying Batman Books that I Enjoy , so Yeah.

With The X-Force Book I liked Gone, The Brutal Slaying of Ares, NO Real Skaar Book, and A book I can't really seem to find X-23 in ... I don't have any Marvel books I am buying right now ..., I should be buying Secret Avengers , But I mostly liked the X-Men that I used to know ..., and Hulk from Marvel ..., which I lost recent interest in both.

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

I like a lot of the DC characters and concepts, so really I'm basically buying the same books with a drop here or a pick-up there.

Resurrection Man, I Vampire and Frankenstein are books I might have not tried without the whole DCnU push that I may keep buying. I like Martian Manhunter so Stormwatch is a pick-up right now, but it's on a short leash.

I've always bought as many or more DC than Marvel. But I am going to try the two post-Schism X-men relaunches. I'm looking forward to the new green Hulk book. I've hated the whole Red Hulk storyline and gave up on it pretty quick.

I'll probably try the new ultimate spidey when it comes out in trade format.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

The only Marvel books I'm buying right now are "Daredevil", "Captain America" and "Captain America and Bucky". I lost interest in other things like "FF" and "New/Secret Avengers".
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

Anthony, those three are at the top of my Marvel list. Daredevil's great right now and Captain America and Bucky is a book I've wanted to see forever. I love Cap during WWII, and the new take on Bucky's role is a great update that makes sense.

For those who haven't tried Cap and Bucky, it's from Bucky's point of view, but with plenty of Cap. The last issue had a nice guest role for Sub-Mariner.

I've enjoyed the new Thor book, too. I like the Iron Man series, but it's so boggled up in the Fear Itself storyline right now that it's not as good as when it concentrated on Iron Man stories.

I still like FF, but it's fractured off into so many different storylines at the moment that the quality has suffered.

The best thing in Bendis' Avengers books was the prose, re-telling of Avengers history in the back of the comis. I think they are collecting this for some point in the future. He used an interview style with various characters giving their take on key Avengers storylines. But now, he's taken that idea and implemented it in the actual comic book story were the first several pages of an issue are just talking-heads pages with the members being interviewed following the Fear Itself outcome. It's an effective way to lend some character to exposition and to catch readers up on previous events, but to me it's not a great way to use two pages of art and also ruins some suspense.
                    Last edited by madmarva; Oct 10, '11, 9:43 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Folks should give Warren Ellis' run on Secret Avengers a try. Art is so-so, but there is a kind of bizarre action comedy vibe he's got going on with each issue being a self contained mission impossible chase for WMD's within the Marvel U.

I'm enjoying having a more light hearted Daredevil in the hands of Waid, but for me the best issue to feature the character in recent memory is the issue of New Avengers where Mike Deodato showcases his new Neal Adams inspired style.

Kind of interesting that Bruaker takes Bucky Cap off the table by killing him off, only to spin off a WW2 series with him as the POV focus. I'm enjoying Cap and Bucky more than the regular Cap title right now... Although I am a big fan of McNiven's stuff, which seems to be acquiring a Travis Charest vibe to it.

Comment

• number 6
                        Village Idiot
                        • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                        Reis is a Beast On Aquaman , but I am also disapointed if the Blackest Night stuff is stripped from the character .
                        I finally got a chance to read a copy of this and my impression that Aquaman is being treated like Batman and Green Lantern in that they're retaining his pre-Flashpoint continuity.

There's no direct references to Blackest Night/Brightest Day, but there is mention of the fact that Aquaman was at first rejected by the Atlanteans, then later became their king, only to now turn his back on rulership. It doesn't explicitly state that Mera and Aquaman are married, but they're clearly in a committed relationship and have a history together. And, of course, there's the whole long standing history of Aquaman being 'nobodys favorite hero'. All of that sounds like pre-Flashpoint continuity to me but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

And yes, the artwork is excellent. I especially enjoyed little details like the scenery outside the window at the fish-n-chips place. Very well done.

BTW, DC has been making alot of noise about all of these issues selling out and going into later printings. But part of this was also to push digital sales of these issues and I haven't heard anything about those sales numbers.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Decided I'm done with Batman and Robin with the second issue. I'm finding the dialogue kind of stale and it really isn't as breezy as the Morrison stuff. Not really so interested in Ducard's other follower either. It's perfectly readable, but hasn't really grabbed me too much.

On the fence with Demon Knights right now, it has some fun dialogue and characters, but I'm not a huge fan of this kind of fantasy book to begin with and the story hasn't really grabbed me with two issues in the can.

Tried out My Greatest Adventure because I like Robotman, but not really interested in the other two features. Not much of the charm of Cliff Steele left in this reinvention.

Liked this week's Green Lantern with Sinestro and Hal.

Shade and Batgirl are on my reading pile, looking forward to those two.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

I'm dumping Justice League International and Detective Comics after two issues....as much as I love Dan Jurgens handling Booster Gold it's just not cutting it for me in JLI. I don't care enough about the other characters to hang around for a Booster fix. And Detective by Tony Daniels is just bad...

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
                              On the fence with Demon Knights right now, it has some fun dialogue and characters, but I'm not a huge fan of this kind of fantasy book to begin with and the story hasn't really grabbed me with two issues in the can.
                              I have the 1st two issues on order

Tried out My Greatest Adventure because I like Robotman, but not really interested in the other two features. Not much of the charm of Cliff Steele left in this reinvention.
                              I wasn't impressed with these characters when they appeared in "Weird Worlds"...

Comment

• Riffster
                                Atomic batteries to power
                                • Jun 29, 2008

Loving Batgirl so far
                                Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                                And Super Powers Batman

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢