Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

I always read it through a couple of times then start heading towards the annotations, as there are still many I don't get straight off...lol.
    I think one of the great things Moore has done here is to activly encourage people to find out about the characters cameoing in the graphics. Some of the stuff(only found in the annotations) is purely visual and tucked away in O'neill fantastic artwork.
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Surfsup
      Silver Chrome Dome
      • Dec 2, 2005

I didn't know a lot of the characters that were referenced but I enjoyed it all the same. Kevin O'Neill's art in the 3d section was simply amazing! I did think the story was a bit lacklasture compared the the previous two volumes, I'm hoping it will be up to scratch for the next story.

Comment

• monkey tennis
        "Kiss my face."
        • Jun 8, 2007

I'm saving my copy until i'm on night shifts.

Thanks again Roger.
        "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Surfsup
          I didn't know a lot of the characters that were referenced but I enjoyed it all the same. Kevin O'Neill's art in the 3d section was simply amazing! I did think the story was a bit lacklasture compared the the previous two volumes, I'm hoping it will be up to scratch for the next story.
          I agree with your assessment of the story, however I'm not sure if Dossier is officially a "volume" in the series, or merely a fun reference guide in a more interesting format than Encyclopedic things like Marvel's Official Handbooks or DC's Who's Who.

I believe the official "third volume" will be coming out from Top Shelf.

Even back in the days of Marshal Law I noticed it was often akin to reading Kurtzman and Elder's Mad stories packed full of background details.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Slapping Myself on the Forehead for not seeing the Orson Welles/M connection!

from the annotations:
            "As you note, Moore has identified M as Harry Lime. What you didn't mention: "in the sewers under Vienna" Harry Lime kills his last victim before he himself is shot. His victim is a British soldier named Sergeant Paine, who was portrayed in the movie by... Bernard Lee. Bernard Lee who, of course, played "M" in every Bond movie from Dr. No to Moonraker. So if Harry Lime didn't die in the sewers, did he somehow take the place of poor Sergeant Paine? Of course, rising from Sergeant to Head of MI6 in about a decade would seem impossible, but not for Harry Lime...."

I also had no idea Fleming also created Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

Do you guys think this theory is stretching things a bit thin...
            "Might be out on a limb here but... John Night is continuously referred to as an industrialist. What keeps popping into my head is Knight Industries as in "Knight Industries Two Thousand", our favorite American Trans Am. Is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a KITT prototype? There is a British connection with the Devon Miles character." Andrew Bonia echoes this: "The Night Foundation - mentioned throughout as designing hi-tech equipment for both the UK and US could be a double reference to the Knight Foundation, the organization responsible for building the supercar K.I.T.T . in the television series Knight Rider."
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Didn't know Bulldog Drummond was in it. There was at least one movie serial with him.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎