X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

Of the "official" DC comics named today, I've gotta say that:

Aquaman looks good, and from the cover art seems to be spinning out of the Brightest Day storyline (Are those zombie fish?).

Deadman might be good- this is the series that was supposed to run after Legion Academy in adventure Comics. Ok with me as long as he's DEAD and we get the original concept or close to it.

Wonder Woman looks to be going more warlike. Cliff Chiang is a great artist though, might be ok.

Firestorm...not one of my favorite characters, but Gail simone is talking it up, and she can write real gud (Birds of Prey)- but also real notgud (Wonder Woman). Might be a sleeper.

Captain Atom - it's Dr. Manhattan. 10 issues tops, then binned.

Hawkman- wow. Another costume. Really. I thought they were gonna go for the Thanagarian space version this time, but it looks like it's still the JSA member.

Green Arrow- Give it 12 issues, then another #1 will appear. He's a second-stringer guys! Only chance you had was to do the Smallville version.

Mister Terrific- Seriously? First book canned. Oh, and look he's got a tattoo instead of a jacket. How cool is that?

JLA- ok, if they keep the big guns in it and seperate it from the continuity of the individual series. Hate Cyborg being in it though. He's a Teen Titan, they should not get to graduate to the adult table, sorry.

Flash- Don't care for Manapul's art that much, but if they start having Flash fight the individual villains & rouges, put Reverse Flash away for a LONG time, and stop the convoluted storylines, I'm in.

JLA International- Don't care.

DC is now saying that this is not a reboot it's a RELAUNCH. I've been thinking it over, and actually realizing that I'm not all that adverse to the changes in some books. I'm thinking Green Lantern will be left pretty much alone, Flash has sucked forever so that's ok, Batgirl back intact ok, might be interesting to see what happens. I haven't bought a Superman, Batman, or Wonder woman comic in years, so if they redo those it might be worth a look.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by johnnystorm
      Of the "official" DC comics named today, I've gotta say that:

Aquaman looks good, and from the cover art seems to be spinning out of the Brightest Day storyline (Are those zombie fish?).
      I'm betting that this book is going to be the hottest book out of all these new releases. Just imagine "Aquaman" at the top of Diamond's Top 100 list...

Deadman might be good- this is the series that was supposed to run after Legion Academy in adventure Comics. Ok with me as long as he's DEAD and we get the original concept or close to it.
      Always a big Deadman fan but Brightest Day ruined him for me...

Wonder Woman looks to be going more warlike. Cliff Chiang is a great artist though, might be ok.
      Wasn't there a rumor about Morrison and Jiminez on Wonder Woman?

Firestorm...not one of my favorite characters, but Gail simone is talking it up, and she can write real gud (Birds of Prey)- but also real notgud (Wonder Woman). Might be a sleeper.
      I agree with your assessment of Simone....I would what though Ethan Van Sciver will be bringing to the mix as co-writer...

Captain Atom - it's Dr. Manhattan. 10 issues tops, then binned.
      I give it 8

Hawkman- wow. Another costume. Really. I thought they were gonna go for the Thanagarian space version this time, but it looks like it's still the JSA member.
      I'd be more willing to give this a shot if there was a more reputable writer on it instead of Tony Daniels

Green Arrow- Give it 12 issues, then another #1 will appear. He's a second-stringer guys! Only chance you had was to do the Smallville version.
      Last good GA title/arc I read was Kevin Smith's revival...

Mister Terrific- Seriously? First book canned. Oh, and look he's got a tattoo instead of a jacket. How cool is that?
      If "Aquaman" hits #1, this one will hit at #101

JLA- ok, if they keep the big guns in it and seperate it from the continuity of the individual series. Hate Cyborg being in it though. He's a Teen Titan, they should not get to graduate to the adult table, sorry.
      Agreed on Cyborg! And I'd love to see JLA stories that are don't last for 5-6 issues...How bout some 1 or 2 parters? Morrison and Waid were able to do just that not so long ago...

Flash- Don't care for Manapul's art that much, but if they start having Flash fight the individual villains & rouges, put Reverse Flash away for a LONG time, and stop the convoluted storylines, I'm in.
      I really can't fathom why they put Manapul on the writing as well as the art...His art instantly killed the book for me after following up Van Sciver on Rebirth. I can only imagine this winding up in the bins with Captain Atom or another relaunch with another number one within 13 months...

JLA International- Don't care.
      Booster and Dan Jurgens...I like that....But Vixen and Gypsy? And Rocket Red? Sorry, this isn't the 80s anymore...

DC is now saying that this is not a reboot it's a RELAUNCH. I've been thinking it over, and actually realizing that I'm not all that adverse to the changes in some books. I'm thinking Green Lantern will be left pretty much alone, Flash has sucked forever so that's ok, Batgirl back intact ok, might be interesting to see what happens. I haven't bought a Superman, Batman, or Wonder woman comic in years, so if they redo those it might be worth a look.
      As I've said elsewhere I hope they are cherry picking the good parts and throwing away the dead wood...
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Steeler80
        Mayor of Strunk
        • Jun 29, 2001

I still don't know when the concept of writing good stories that grabbed the readers attention took a back seat to "events".

Comment

• Thor
          Thunder God
          • Dec 17, 2009

Again?? I didn't quite get all the ups and downs of the last changes.
          sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

• aquatroy
            Permanent Member
            • Apr 28, 2002

To be honest, the only DC book I was following was Morrison's Batman. It will be interesting to see how that wraps up. Perhaps something very Shakespearean with the Batman Inc. facing Laviathan and everyone dying.

and then ...

Relaunch to mediocrity!

I'll miss Damian. That little pain in the *** grew on me. He and Dick were a fun team and the last issue of Batman & Robin was very good. With Red Hood back, that book could end really messy, too.

With Morrison moving on to Superman, I have something to look forward to. Even with Jim Lee's rediculous costume. Here's hoping Supes sings someone our of existance again. And, for all you thinking that Superman singing wussifies the character, go tell Henry Rollins that singing is for pussies. Let's see how far you get with that, tough guy.

For some reason I've been thinking about 90's DC of late. All of the creativity with re-imagined generational/legacy characters created quite a buzz. Really good energy in those book, and the company. Until Didio, and nonsence like HEAT showed up and insisted that characters like Hal, Ollie, and later, Barry had to brought back. I wonder what the DCU would be today if DC had passed on Didio and stuck to their guns.

Thank God there was no internet back when Stan ditched the, at the time, current Avengers and put 3 third tier villians in the book. Can you imagine how badly fanboy would have crapped themselves?
            Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>I still don't know when the concept of writing good stories that grabbed the readers attention took a back seat to "events".

Marvel SuperHero Secret Wars.

>Captain Atom - it's Dr. Manhattan.

Which is ironic, 'cos Dr Manhattan was supposed to be Captain Atom. Weird.

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Scott Lobdell writes Teen Titans.

So here is Bob Harras' contribution as EIC of DC. He's bringing back his 90's X-Men/Marvel writing stable when he was EIC at Marvel. Tom Defalco. Fabian Niceinza (sp?).
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by aquatroy
                  To be honest, the only DC book I was following was Morrison's Batman. It will be interesting to see how that wraps up. Perhaps something very Shakespearean with the Batman Inc. facing Laviathan and everyone dying.

and then ...

Relaunch to mediocrity!

I'll miss Damian. That little pain in the *** grew on me. He and Dick were a fun team and the last issue of Batman & Robin was very good. With Red Hood back, that book could end really messy, too.

With Morrison moving on to Superman, I have something to look forward to. Even with Jim Lee's rediculous costume. Here's hoping Supes sings someone our of existance again. And, for all you thinking that Superman singing wussifies the character, go tell Henry Rollins that singing is for pussies. Let's see how far you get with that, tough guy.

For some reason I've been thinking about 90's DC of late. All of the creativity with re-imagined generational/legacy characters created quite a buzz. Really good energy in those book, and the company. Until Didio, and nonsence like HEAT showed up and insisted that characters like Hal, Ollie, and later, Barry had to brought back. I wonder what the DCU would be today if DC had passed on Didio and stuck to their guns.

Thank God there was no internet back when Stan ditched the, at the time, current Avengers and put 3 third tier villians in the book. Can you imagine how badly fanboy would have crapped themselves?
                  I suspect not much wil change with the Bat-Books, didio did say they weren't going fix things that ain't broke. Be kind of stupid to change and/or cancel one of the best selling titles DC has with Batman Inc. I doubt Damian is going anywhere either, he's pretty popular as a character. If he stays Robin with his pop as Batman and Morrison sticks with him, I'll be there for the trades along with Superman
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

The good news for retailers... they are pricing same day digital at the same price for the print version. You can also buy the print version and the digital version for an extra dollar.
                    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• VintageMike
                      Permanent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2004

I wanted to crap on this when I heard about but an now taking a "wait and see" approach.
                      If it's more on the good side (bringing back Barbara Gordon Batgirl for instance) I'm for it.

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

You'll be able to get the Digital Version for $1.99 a month later. I have a feeling that's where I'll be. For a 30 percent discount I can wait a month.

Is the girl in black on the JLI cover Gypsy, Donna Troy, Zatanna? I got no clue.

Who else will get titles:

Atom?
                        SHAZAM
                        Legion
                        Sea Devils?
                        Doom Patrol
                        Challengers
                        Rip Hunter
                        Booster Gold
                        Justice Society
                        Adam Strange
                        Question
                        Phantom Stranger
                        Frankenstein
                        Zatanna
                        Spectre
                        Huntress
                        Powergirl

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

^ I'm thinking the girl in black on JLI is Gypsy, since Vixen is on the team and they're the last two members of JLA Detroit (Ugh....what a horrible time THAT was)

If there isn't a Booster Gold title by Dan Jurgens I will be very angry...Just when we got him back on the book after the Giffen/DeMatteis fiasco it'd be a shame to loose him now. But considering he's drawing Green Arrow and scripting JLI I wonder if he has time for a 3rd book...

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by madmarva
                            Who else will get titles:

Huntress
                            Powergirl

I'd really like to see a Huntress/Power Girl book....if they're trying to fix things maybe they can make Helena Bertinelli more like Helena Wayne and have her forge a bond with Power Girl again. That'd be a great book...Is Adam Hughes doing anything?

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

I think it's interesting how the tone of this thread has changed. We've gone from the initial "negative panic reaction"...to the more positive optimistic attitude.

This could actually be a good thing. Sometimes things need to be brought back to basics...like Byrne did with Fantastic Four.
                              sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                                The Packaging King
                                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by The Bat
                                I think it's interesting how the tone of this thread has changed. We've gone from the initial "negative panic reaction"...to the more positive optimistic attitude.
                                Well I think initially everyone was thinking "reboot" and now it's been confirmed that it's a "relaunch" so maybe we won't be losing tons....

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎