Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here seen the Superman/Doomsday movie yet?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

Oddly enough, I really enjoyed it. I guess my expectations were lowered by all the fair-to-middlin' reviews it got on the Internet, but I thought it was pretty good. I'd say a solid 8 out of 10 at least.

One thing that irked me was the casting, though. I just didn't care for it, to the point it was like nails on the chalkboard at the beginning, because they should have used the actors from the other Superman animated projects. No one is buying these DVDs because Anne Heche is Lois Lane and Adam Baldwin is Superman, so I don't quite understand spending extra money to replace the existing voice talent with "movie stars."

I guess I'm too used to Tim Daly as Superman.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by MegoSteve
      He seems to be popping up all over the tube lately...I wonder if he was unavailable?
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• VintageMike
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 16, 2004

I thought it was OK. Didn't see Brainiac attacks so I can't compare it to that. I think they meshed elements of the four replacements into the clone Superman. Making Toyman so twisted worked because it tied into what happened to him. The angle they took with the cloned Superman (think Superman with the attitude of The Punisher) was cool. Also enjoyed the bonus feature about the original storyline a great deal as remember the hoopla well.
        The way the adult themes were presented give me high hopes for the Teen Titans "Judas Contract" adaptation.
        Last edited by VintageMike; Sep 22, '07, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

Well Said Mike. I gotta chance to finally see it too. I felt the same way. I didn't think it was horrible either. Thought it was good for what it's worth. Just didn't care for Luther's voice, nore his look. Everything else was good. I also thought the voices for Superman & Lois, somewhat matched the previous actors in some ways. I thought it worked.
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Merlyn1976
            Fist of Khonshu
            • Mar 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
            This is not for five year olds, they would not like it.
            My 2 yr old loved it
            "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

George Newbern did a heckuva job mimicking Daly's voice following S:TAS
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• LadyZod
                Superman's Gal Pal
                • Jan 27, 2007

I saw it, and being a rather big fan of Superman, I was not disappointed.

Mostly because I didn't expect much to begin with, but that is besides the point.

It was ok. I would have tweaked the story a little here and there to include the 4 other Supermen.

Mirror Universe Spoilers:
                Would have introduced Hank Henshaw as a scientist working for Luthor on the clones, injecting himself with Supe's DNA and becoming the Cyborg Supes when the Superman robot arrives at Lexcorp to steal Supes' body (explosion). Would have had an unfinished clone (Superboy) escape during Henshaw's transformation and body break-out. Superman's robot would take over as the Eradicator Superman archtype, which would have gone along the same delvelopment as the Luthor clone did in the movie. And John Henry? He would have helped Lois and Jimmy during the Superman/doomsday fight and then put on a suit of armor to fight the Superman Robot gone loco (caused by Henshaw controling him as a means to get back at Luthor and Superman for his condition.)

Ahh, to dream.

But aside from that, Supe's face bothered me to no getout. I mean, was it necessary to give him those HUGE cheek bone lines? The man looked ancient. But at least he wasn't voiced by Tim Daly. I feel Supes and Clark should sound a LITTLE different than each other. Helps with the suspension of disbelief a little.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                Check out my art:
                Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

I still gotta rent this thing. Is there a preview for New Frontier on it? That's the one I really want to see.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Cosmicman
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 12, 2005

Good story!!
                    I can't get past the crappy cheek bones on the animated Superman and the Lex Luthor that looks like like a crackhead. If the art was a little better in the animation department, this movie would have been a gem in my book.
                    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                      MeGoing
                      • May 14, 2003

Mmmm. I guess by the sound of it I will just be renting it too.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Okay, I got a copy of this and watched it last night. I really enjoyed it. A good Superman movie. I think I would have rather have seen this as a live action flick over Superman Returns (although I did like that movie for its own merits). The violence is a bit much for my kid, but it was tastefully done. The adult situations and language weren't too overdone, and they made sense in the context of the movie.

Going in knowing this was a completely different continuity than anything that went before it, I was able to get past Superman's cheekbones and other oddities compared to the Timm DCU. I actually liked this portrayl of Lois. Its clear why Superman loves this gal. I missed Dana Delany's smart-alec delivery, but this Lois seemed more straight-forward, so it worked out okay.

Even Mullet-Man of Steel was handled well. If you like Superman, I'd give this a shot. But I wouldn't watch it with a kid under the age of 9 or so, perosnally.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎