Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here seen the Superman/Doomsday movie yet?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Well, I watched it last night and frankly, it's what I expected. Like TBolt, I really thought the Death of Superman story was a lame cash grab to begin with, so my hopes were low.

So, it's no surprise I give this a big ol' Meh, it wasn't terrible, it just wasn't great either. I enjoyed the more adult theme in many places, especially the Lois and Clark relationship. The Superman seemed to be a blend of Christopher Reeves and the Weisenger era Supes, which was weird but worked.

Lex Luthor was entirely wrong IMO, too thin and far too creepy in persona. Doomsday was entirely what he was in the comics, a walking plot device.

Spoiler Stuff is in white:

The Kevin Smith Cameo was great.
    The Toyman looked like he crawled out of a bad Spawn knockoff comic, killing children?
    Mercy getting shot in the head was just over the top.
    The lack of other DCU heroes made the funeral sort of dry.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MegoSteve
      Superman's Pal
      • Jun 17, 2005

I was kind of surprised to see that it's already on Xbox 360's video marketplace as a rental, so I may just download it over the weekend and watch, though I absolutely hated that period of Superman history.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

The Toyman looked like he crawled out of a bad Spawn knockoff comic, killing children?
        Yeah that was the 90s take on the character...turning him into a serial killer. I think he knocked off Cat Grant's kid if I recall. They took The Prankster and gave him a makeover as well, although not as chilling as The Toyman's. Obviously the powers that be thought the old incarnations were too silly (duh! that's the point of them) to be taken seriously as worthy adversaries for the new and improved post-Crisis/Byrned Man of Steel.

Toyman had a run in with Batman also and may have been thrown into Arkham but I'm not 100% sure...I don't know where the character stand continuity -wise today.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

So, I'm guessing I don't need to watch this with my 5 year old?

Sounds a bit over the top. Frankly, JLU is as "adult" as I want my animated super heroes. I loved it, but a few times it skirted the edge of what I was comfortable showing my kid. This sounds way beyond that.

I actually liked the original Death of Superman, and the early 90s Superman comics. I think it was done to give the books some attention and explore how the DCU would exist without the big guy, but the media frenzy over it took even DC by surprise. It hit on a slow news day. I think after "Reign of the Superman" they lost their way. The murderous Toyman was totally lame and an attempt to give Superman a psychologically twisted, Batman-type villain.

Plus, why take out the 4-replacement Supes, but add in Toyman? Weird.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Plus, why take out the 4-replacement Supes, but add in Toyman? Weird.

I haven't seen it but I'm assuming the 4 fake Supes weren't included because of a time issue and that's pretty much an entire story/DVD on it's own. As for Toyman that's really confusing as he wasn't even part of the original storyline in the comics. Maybe he was added to get the PG-13 rating? More sales if it's perceived as "adult"?
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
              Stays Crunchy in Milk
              • Aug 2, 2004

The thing I liked most about the comic was all of the other heroes, first getting mowed over by Doomsday, leaving the only hope for the world up to Supes, and then all of the heroes after he died... So when I saw this had no other heroes, I was less interested.

Also, (and I haven't seen this yet) why reinvent Luthor? Didn't Superman TAS and JLU define him perfectly? I'm not sure why this and Brainiac Attacks feel the need to fix something that was dead on perfect.
              Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• jds1911a1
                Alan Scott is the best GL
                • Aug 8, 2007

Thanks to all who put info I will avoid this one.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

So, I'm guessing I don't need to watch this with my 5 year old?
                  This is not for five year olds, they would not like it.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Goblin19
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 2, 2002

BlackKnight, I meant the actual plot seemed rushed, not the time it took to make the movie. The movie was 75 minutes, leaving no time for character or plot development.

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                      The Man of Many Voices
                      • Aug 30, 2005

I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I actually liked it. If they had to do this story without including the rest of the DCU, they did a good job. I only have one gripe. Perry White did not look like Perry White. The traditional "Chief" was replaced by this bald guy, but I loved what they did with Jimmy Olsen in terms of redesign and story. The adult themes with Superman and Lois were good. James Marsters Lex Luthor reminded me of the Kevin Spacey Lex Luthor from Superman Returns without the humor, plus he was too skinny.
                      I felt this was better than Brainiac Attacks, but the voice over cast does take some getting used to. I felt they could have done without the extras cracks in Superman's face to make him look older. And Toyman looked like a sick pedaphile or somebody that Batman would go up against. Superman/Doomsday has something Brainiac Attacks does not. Real theme music and an excellent score along with opening credits.
                      While it is not like the comics story arc, I still enjoyed it. Now if only WB would consider doing the same thing with Batman and the Knightfall, Knightquest, Knightsend story arcs.
                      Cheers.

Comment

• jemboy2004
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 14, 2005

I got it too and I didn't love it but I did like. I almost let my godson watch it with me but then looked it over and said no maybe not. Glad I did too.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                          The DarkSide Customizer
                          • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                          I haven't seen it but I'm assuming the 4 fake Supes weren't included because of a time issue and that's pretty much an entire story/DVD on it's own. As for Toyman that's really confusing as he wasn't even part of the original storyline in the comics. Maybe he was added to get the PG-13 rating? More sales if it's perceived as "adult"?
                          Thats lame that the 4 "other" Supermen are not in it... That was the only thing remotely cool about the comic story. Conner,.. Superboy Clone of Lex & Superman, Steel Just Rules,.. & Cyborg Superman is one of my Favorite Villians right now in DCU,... Using the character to fight The Green Lantern Corps is just too cool,.. & Priceless.

I personally have yet to pick it up,... sat in like 3 hour traffic on the way home from work,.. decided the stores & people traffic would ruin me mentally.
                          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Looks like I won't get a chance to see this anytime soon. Of the two rental places in town, neither has it. And our supposed "Super" Wal-Mart doesn't even have it for sale.

I'll wait a few months and buy it cheap. Or maybe Cartoon Network will run it soon.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• batmanmc
                              mego batman collector
                              • Jun 22, 2004

i might get it. thought about it the other day. or i could borrow ric's. not sure wht ill do yet. mike

Comment

• toys2cool
                                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                                • Nov 27, 2006

Looks like I won't get a chance to see this anytime soon. Of the two rental places in town, neither has it. And our supposed "Super" Wal-Mart doesn't even have it for sale.

I'll wait a few months and buy it cheap. Or maybe Cartoon Network will run it soon.

Chris
                                yeah I gotta buy mine to,I already saw that amazon has it for $8,that's not bad
                                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎