Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdhall
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 14, 2004

Is this a graphic novel or something? I think I read Crisis on Infinite Earths, which was COOL when I was playing Dungeons and Dragons because we sort of had that going on a bit. But if that got rehashed... no wonder I haven't read anything since.

Did Marvel do something like Crisis?

But let me know if this Black Lantern thing is a mini-series where they are killing off all these people. Thanks.
    —-
    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
    - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
    - Captain Spock
    https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by CaptainTrenchcoat
      I believe this was done "off-panel".
      Sounds like a Morrison Pitch.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by cdhall

But let me know if this Black Lantern thing is a mini-series where they are killing off all these people. Thanks.

Ok,... deep Breath .... Your Check list. Part 1

Blackest Night #1 ( Out Now, Free on Comicbook Day)

JULY

Green Lantern #43
        Blackest Night # 1
        Blackest Night : Tales of the Corps # 1
        Blackest Night : Tales of the Corps # 2
        Blackest Night : Tales of the Corps # 3
        Green Lantern # 44

August

Blackest Night # 2
        Green Lantern # 45
        Green Lantern Corps # 39
        Blackest Night Batman # 1
        Blackest Night Superman # 1
        Blackest Night Titans # 1

September

Blackest Night # 3
        Green Lantern # 46
        Green Lantern Corps #40
        Blackest Night Batman # 2
        Blackest Night Superman # 2
        Blackest Night Teen Titans # 2

October

Blackest Night # 4
        Green Lantern # 47
        Green Lantern Corps # 41
        Blackest Night Batman # 3
        Blackest Night Superman # 3
        Blackest Night Teen Titans # 3
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          Sounds like a Morrison Pitch.
          Nope, Morrison left the funeral for Bruce up to the Battle for the Cowl people. So blame them for the
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Ok deep breath. This is what I have come to understand, now not all of this knowledge is first hand so forgive me if I fudge up here or there. When Bruce/Batman was hit by Darkseid's beams there were not the standard Omega beams. This style of death was only used once before on Mr. Miracle in the Seven Solders mini (also written by Morrison) in which the person who was hit with the beams body dies (not vaporized like the normal Omega Beams) and his soul (or what not) gets lost in time. Now Mr. Miracle escaped his death and found his way back to his body and was ok. So I assume that is the opening Morrison left to bring Bruce back when ever they want. Batman and Bruce were buried separately and I think Bruce was put under later on so as not to connect the two but as far as the public of the DCU is concerned they know both Bruce Wayne and Batman are dead. Now as far as Him being a Black Lantern I assume one of two things will happen (just my thoughts on the subject) Either they will not be able to raise his body due to his odd death or after he is risen Bruce's soul will find its way back to his body and use it as a back door to help defeat them. I assume the end game of this will be to allow many of the dead guys to come back to full life when this is all over. I also predict a White Lantern but that is just my two cents. Also yes that is Martian Manhunter and I am not sure how but that is indeed Ronnie Raymond Firestorm.
            Okay, Bruce is "deader" than I thought then. Which irks me.

For years, diehard Bat-fans have lamented the alien/strange transformation era of Batman from the late 50s-early 60s. So when DC finally kills off Batman, it's an alien that sends his soul back through time, and kills his body. How is that any different than the 50s stuff, other than execution (no pun intended)?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my Batman in space with Superman or the JLA, but I always felt (and apparently DC has for the most part too) that in his own books, Batman should be kept more urban, and as realistic as a guy in a batsuit can be. Of course I know he died in FC, not in his own titles, but it's affecting them.

I hope Johns can fix all of this, and many of the wrongs done to our favorites at the end of all of this. But Bruce Wayne will still be a revitalized corpse, and for the character of Batman, that's just wrong.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Riffster
              Atomic batteries to power
              • Jun 29, 2008

but the picture of Bruce cave drawing couldn't have been a spirit
              Last edited by Riffster; Jun 25, '09, 9:54 AM.
              Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
              And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                For years, diehard Bat-fans have lamented the alien/strange transformation era of Batman from the late 50s-early 60s. So when DC finally kills off Batman, it's an alien that sends his soul back through time, and kills his body. How is that any different than the 50s stuff, other than execution (no pun intended)?
                I don't know if I can be considered a die-hard Bat-fan, but I was reading the collection of fifties stuff that came out a week or so ago that supposedly inspired Morrison, and I got real kick out of them. I've always like Bat-Mite.

That Morrison was able to translate them into the contemporary Bat-cannon as Fevered Dreams, Hallucinations, Hypnotic Suggestions, etc. is quite fascinating to me. But I am probably in the minority here.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• cdhall
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 14, 2004

Wow

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                  Ok,... deep Breath .... Your Check list. Part 1

Blackest Night #1 ( Out Now, Free on Comicbook Day)

JULY

Green Lantern #43
                  Blackest Night # 1
                  Blackest Night : Tales of the Corps # 1
                  Blackest Night : Tales of the Corps # 2
                  Blackest Night : Tales of the Corps # 3
                  Green Lantern # 44

August

Blackest Night # 2
                  Green Lantern # 45
                  Green Lantern Corps # 39
                  Blackest Night Batman # 1
                  Blackest Night Superman # 1
                  Blackest Night Titans # 1

September

Blackest Night # 3
                  Green Lantern # 46
                  Green Lantern Corps #40
                  Blackest Night Batman # 2
                  Blackest Night Superman # 2
                  Blackest Night Teen Titans # 2

October

Blackest Night # 4
                  Green Lantern # 47
                  Green Lantern Corps # 41
                  Blackest Night Batman # 3
                  Blackest Night Superman # 3
                  Blackest Night Teen Titans # 3
                  Wow. I hate that. Maybe because I was "poor" as a kid and I'd find one comic I liked and I'd read it and then I'd have to both go find and pay for the other ones to keep up. It drove me away.

I appreciate the concept though. If they have a Universe to play in, crossovers with many titles is a good idea. But now at $2.00ea or whatever they are that is $50.00 worth of comics. That is probably my cable bill for one month. That is like 50 Netflix rentals. I could never justify spending $50 trying to track down the titles to keep up with the story. And if I tried, and I didn't have you guys here for support for example, I'd probably miss Blackest Night Superman #2 and then get upset about the "stupid story" because I missed a piece and then drop out around Green Lantern #47 and think they did a bad job.

If this is any good is it safe to assume they'll make a graphic novel later and put them all in one cover?

And since I'm so lost, does any of this have anything to do with Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Did that Crisis hold up? I thought when it was over that Superman was the only Kryptonian left. But I think I've seen Supergirl art so I don't know. I guess Crisis on Infinite Earths was 20 years ago.

Maybe I should not try to follow or comment on current comic stuff? That may be best.

I recall liking The Killing Joke except that it was too violent. If anyone has a good reccomendation for a Batman Graphic Novel/Collection like that, let me know.

Thanks.
                  —-
                  - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by cdhall
                    But now at $2.00ea or whatever they are that is $50.00 worth of comics.
                    You've been out of the loop....comic today run anywhere from $2.99 to $3.99 and I have a feeling many of these will be $3.99. PLUS the checklist BK posted is only PART 1 of the event.

If this is any good is it safe to assume they'll make a graphic novel later and put them all in one cover?
                    It'll probably be several trade paperbacks more than likely. With each title being collected on their own.

And since I'm so lost, does any of this have anything to do with Crisis on Infinite Earths?
                    Not really....other than the fact that since the original Crisis on Infinite Earths it seems the have summer cross-overs that get larger and larger with more tie-ins.

Did that Crisis hold up? I thought when it was over that Superman was the only Kryptonian left. But I think I've seen Supergirl art so I don't know. I guess Crisis on Infinite Earths was 20 years ago.
                    No....Crisis begat Zero Hour (another "fix") which begat Infinite Crisis which began Final Crisis....Continuity has fluxuated QUITE often over the last 24 years (COIE came out in 1985)

Maybe I should not try to follow or comment on current comic stuff? That may be best.
                    Unless you stick with it....it's very easy to get lost in continuity reboots and such.

I recall liking The Killing Joke except that it was too violent. If anyone has a good reccomendation for a Batman Graphic Novel/Collection like that, let me know.

Actually, although psychologically disturbing, the only violent act is the shooting of Barbara Gordon...granted it's quite shocking but there's been much more violent incidents since that took place. Check out the Women in Refrigerators Syndrome.
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

Anyone have an extra Blackest Night from comic book day? I'd like to get this series I think.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• cdhall
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 14, 2004

Thanks Package King!
                        —-
                        - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Ahh, the women in refridgerators trend.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• cdhall
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 14, 2004

I guess this list is directly related to what you are talking about. I didn't read the whole site I was just trying to see if it related
                            http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/women.html
                            —-
                            - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

If that list is all 3.99 books that's over 90 bucks.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                                Formerly known as Del
                                • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                                I hope Johns can fix all of this, and many of the wrongs done to our favorites at the end of all of this. But Bruce Wayne will still be a revitalized corpse, and for the character of Batman, that's just wrong.

Chris
                                I don't know about the other characters, but it's already been said that Batman will be just fine in the long run. In an interview, Grant Morrison basically said that if you find yourself not enjoying what they've done from Batman RIP on, don't worry. If you pick up the book again in a year or two, you won't be able to tell he was ever gone. So someone is scheduled to bring things back to normal.
                                Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                                https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                                http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎