Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finally seen The Black Knight yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I finally seen The Black Knight yesterday.

Yea, I know ... i'm a little late ... but better late then never

Ok, what did I think of it ?
    Not bad (actually a pretty good score for me) but in my book it does have some flaws and IMO doesn't deserve all the acclaim it recieves.

Some good points ......
    A good story
    good acting

Some bad points (note: bad points list is longer because i'm trying to analyze it from this side).

1. Batman and Bruce Wayne ....... I don't like this guy ... Yes, he's our hero, but he's not a likable person ...
    I can never understand how newer versions of Batman are so popular considering how unlikable he is ... Is it today's society of loving ******s as their heroes ? ...

1-B. There really isn't anyone in this movie that I cared about ... I couldn't care less if any of them die.

2. Joker ...... Strangley, I do like this Joker ..... The only probablem with this version of Joker is he's not really A Joker .... Not counting the suit and make-up he's just an ordinary nut job .......... I want more of a crazy clown connection ...

3. Harvey's girlfriend ........ I don't believe Harvey would be in love with this woman ... He could get any chick he wants ..
    number one, she's isn't all that pretty.
    Harvey could do a lot better.

4. Gordon ... Does anyone else think this actor just don't look the part of Gordon ?

5. Story --- The story was good, but it was a little hard to follow (some individual parts)...

6. Gadgets ........ Batman IS gadgets, I understand that but this leaves me with a question ........ The same people here who put down the classic Bonds because of too much use of gadgets LOVE this movie ... I don't understand.

7. The Batpod (motorcycle) .......... This thing would not work in the city .... It would take you 2 miles of curve just to turn 90 degrees.
    The fat front tire looks cool but is totally impractical.
    Was this thing designed by Fisher-Price ?

Just some observations.

Feel free to challenge

m
    Last edited by Mikey; Dec 26, '08, 8:54 AM. Reason: typo
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

I like Gary Oldman as Gordon but only as it relates to the BATMAN YEAR ONE comic the new series is so based in

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>he's not really A Joker .... Not counting the suit and make-up he's just an ordinary nut job .......... I want more of a crazy clown connection ...

That's how I felt about Nickolson's Joker as well. I'd love to see someone play him like the old Caesar Romero Joker, but in more consequential and dangerous situations.

>Batman IS gadgets,

This was the point that killed it for a friend of mine; that Batman in this film was all about gadgets, and didn't really achieve anything of his own accord.

>The Batpod (motorcycle) .......... This thing would not work in the city

It worked pretty good in the old Judge Dredd comic....

Don C.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by type1kirk
        4. Gordon ... Does anyone else think this actor just don't look the part of Gordon ?
        Actually, he's pretty spot-on to the young Lt. Gordon who was featured in "Batman:Year One". If you're comparing him to the older comic book Commissioner or the TV doofus portrayed by Neil Hamilton I can see your confusion.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

[QUOTE=type1kirk;245699]

1. Batman and Bruce Wayne ....... I don't like this guy ... Yes, he's our hero, but he's not a likable person ...
          I can never understand how newer versions of Batman are so popular considering how unlikable he is ... Is it today's society of loving ******s as their heroes ? ...

A: Bruce is in Character as an Unlikeable rich spoiled Socialite. This way there is no association with him and Batman.....

1-B. There really isn't anyone in this movie that I cared about ... I couldn't care less if any of them die.

A:Morgan Freeman's Character Lucious is my favorite they way they added him as basically Bruce Wayne's Q.

2. Joker ...... Strangley, I do like this Joker ..... The only probablem with this version of Joker is he's not really A Joker .... Not counting the suit and make-up he's just an ordinary nut job .......... I want more of a crazy clown connection ...

A: There really is no definitive Joker as over the years every generation has had their version. 60's Joker Although IMO is the Best.

3. Harvey's girlfriend ........ I don't believe Harvey would be in love with this woman ... He could get any chick he wants ..
          number one, she's isn't all that pretty.

A: This is Just in the casting Rachel character was very pretty in the first movie. Katie Holmes is hard act to follow in the looks dept. This rachel was the better Actress.

A: Yes he's Dead on to The Comicbook. best version

5. Gadgets ........ Batman IS gadgets, I understand that but this leaves me with a question .......

A: I think sometimes the gadgets become too over the top in Batman movies. I think they did a good balance in focusing on story and not overblown gadget use.

6.. The Batpod (motorcycle) .......... This thing would not work in the city .... It would take you 2 miles of curve just to turn 90 degrees.
          The fat front tire looks cool but is totally impractical.
          Was this thing designed by Fisher-Price ?

A: Sell Toys,Toys and More Toys

Glad to see you gave it a try. From what i understand I know you're a Fan of the Classic TV Batman

Comment

• goldenryan
            coy member
            • Jul 13, 2007

it's no use t1k complains about everything.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
              Stuck in a laundry shoot.
              • Oct 8, 2007

Also with the motorcycle, remember that foremost it is part of the batmobile, and the fact that it can "transform" part of it self into the motorcycle is just a bonus or secondary function using batmobile parts. On it's own, the batcycle would probably have looked different, and more sleek. I agree with you're comment about the turning radius.
              No problems with Gorden.
              I loved this interpretation of the Joker.
              Batman is still just a human, he needs the gadgets, Seems like they took a bit more of a "How would this work if it really existed" point of view.
              I dig Michael Caine, as Alfred, and Morgan Freeman.
              Dent did a good job, but I agree, I didn't really give a crud about him.
              I just don't care for Maggie Jyllenhall, why didn't they keep Katy Holmes?? I forget, cause Tom was shooting someplace else and wouldnt' let her??

Overall I can easily forgive the small things with this movie, considering how badly they can screw something like this up. I am pretty excited about this version of Bats and look forward to more.
              "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I also thought his cowl looked weird.

There were many scenes that looked like it was on crooked.

It also looked too big and bulbus on the head.

I think this was the "new designed" one that was suppose to be part helmet.

Comment

• goldenryan
                  coy member
                  • Jul 13, 2007

as much as i loved the dark knight i like the tv, and even the 1989 batmobile alot better than the batmobile in this movie.

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

I thought the same thing about the chick
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by toys2cool
                      I thought the same thing about the chick
                      I read on the internet she's in her late 20's.

The way she looked, I thought she was in her mid 40's

Also, I dunno what's up with her partial pig nose.

It looks like she had nose-job gone wrong.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Don't worry about the "chick" she got blowed up real good and won't be back.

As for Gordon, he's dead on perfect. Oldman nailed the part.

Joker. I really dig this version and the shabby look to him.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• toys2cool
                          Ultimate Mego Warrior
                          • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by type1kirk
                          I read on the internet she's in her late 20's.

The way she looked, I thought she was in her mid 40's

Also, I dunno what's up with her partial pig nose.

It looks like she had nose-job gone wrong.
                          yeah I think her brother looks better Jake Gyllenhaal is the other guy in Broke back mountain with Heath Ledger

and she is a decent actress,but man you could've gotten a real hot babe to play that part
                          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Steeler80
                            Mayor of Strunk
                            • Jun 29, 2001

I really thought this was a terrific film. Ledger has received heaps of praise for his portrayal of the Joke and I think it's deserved. And I agree that Batman is unlikable but I think that's part of the character, certainly part of the storyline for this movie (hence all the "He'd the hero Gotham needs. He can take it" stuff at the end [which was a bit overdone]). As everybody knows, Batman came out of the pulp tradition and there were lots of unlikable heroes there (The Shadow, The Spider).

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I don't agree that Batman is unlikeable. I will say in this movie he is trapped inside this creation he made in the first film. With Rachel's death and then him taking the blame for Two-Face's crimes he now has no hope of a normal life at all, just Batman and the public Bruce Wayne. The real Bruce is somewhat in-between. Only Alfred (and maybe Lucius to a point) really know him. To me, this makes him very sympathetic.

I will agree that Gylenhall isn't the most attractive actress in Hollywood. I think we are so used to movie love interests being drop-dead gorgeous (even if the male lead isn't) that we find it hard to accept her as the object of affection to both handsome Bale and Eckhart. She did do a nice job with the part though. More believable than Katie Holmes in the first film.

Gordon is dead-on the modern comic portrayl. Love Oldman in that role. Glad he got so much more to do this time.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎