• Jun 20, 2001

Yeah "Ghetto Man" would go over real well today
    LOL
    Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• jds1911a1
      Alan Scott is the best GL
      • Aug 8, 2007

I bought a boot of it on video at a comic con almost 25 years ago and yeah it's bad but I would love to see a copy that is 1st generation. I actually like the challenge for a chuckle

I specifcally did not bring up the Roast as I was leary to offend anyone with G-man

Much like that AWFUL JLA pilot

Comment

• namtab29
        #1 Aquaman Fan
        • Feb 22, 2005

>>Much like that AWFUL JLA pilot<<

i know i'm in the minority, but i actually sorta liked that JLA pilot.

i admit, its cheesy and the costumes are goofy and its not the JLA and why the hell is Martian Manhunter so out of shape, but...

when i look at for what they were trying, which was essentially X-Men + Friends as the Justice League, i thought it had its moments. some of it was funny, and i think they had their heart in the right place.

i find Ghetto Man sorta funny simply because it is so jaw-droppingly, over the top offensive--using every hackneyed, racist stereotype imaginable. you get the sense the writers had never met a black person in their lives, and were just writing based on what they thought black people might be like. and then when they cut to the heroes laughing at the racist jokes--pure horror.

its hard to imagine that that kind of material passed on network TV within my lifetime. it seems like its from another universe.

rob!
        http://www.namtab.com
        http://www.treasurycomics.com
        http://aquamanshrine.blogspot.com
        http://digestcomics.blogspot.com
        http://www.allinblackandwhitefor75cents.com
        http://heykidscomix.blogspot.com

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

i find Ghetto Man sorta funny simply because it is so jaw-droppingly, over the top offensive--using every hackneyed, racist stereotype imaginable. you get the sense the writers had never met a black person in their lives, and were just writing based on what they thought black people might be like. and then when they cut to the heroes laughing at the racist jokes--pure horror.

its hard to imagine that that kind of material passed on network TV within my lifetime. it seems like its from another universe.
          My feelings exactly. I watched these with my son, who like me as a kid, thought it was awesome to see all of these characters in live action. But I was really uncomfortable during the Ghetto Man sequence. He was only 3 or so the last time we watched it. I would probably skip that part now. I don't want him thinking that is funny. It's not.

Oddly enough, I've never seen the JLA pilot. Heck, I just got around to watching (in horror) the Cormon FF movie.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• jds1911a1
            • Aug 8, 2007

The JLA pilot you aren't missing much. as an example of how odd it is the GL is Guy Gardner but a he wears a mask and frankly is as square as Hal Jordon,

flash is named Barry Allen but is 100&#37; Waly west (high metabolism no job etc)

Maj Winchester from mash is the martian manhunter (hey he's a shapeshifter why not shape a big old gut)

and in a bit of Irony the villian the weatherman is played by Miguel Ferrer who voiced the weather wizard in the Superman the animated series and Justice leage wb animated

I got it for 5 bucks and that is more than it was worth.
            I have avoided the Corman FF as even the stuff marvel actually let be released in that period I didn't like (Captain America 1990, Punisher w dolph, Dr Strange with Jeff combs)
            Last edited by jds1911a1; Aug 27, '07, 1:34 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Dr Strange with Jeff combs
              Just FYI, Jeffery Combs was in Dr. Mordred, which was an unlicensed, renamed version of Dr. Strange. Full Moon Studios (Re-Animator, Puppet Master series) put out that one.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• jds1911a1
                • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Just FYI, Jeffery Combs was in Dr. Mordred, which was an unlicensed, renamed version of Dr. Strange. Full Moon Studios (Re-Animator, Puppet Master series) put out that one.

Chris
                my mistake saw part of it on cable and turned it off after about 10 minutes

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                  The Man of Many Voices
                  • Aug 30, 2005

I just thought of a cool idea for a DVD release. Regarding the 1967 DC Super Hero Filmation segments. Not that WB would ever consider this, but imagine if you will the following DVD set:

THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER FRIENDS:
                  The Complete Series 1979

Imagine if you will, all 8 half hour episodes of the 1979 series on a DVD set. 8 episodes alone would fill up one or two discs, whichever way they wanted to do it. A really short set. So for extras. the Filmation DC Super Heroes segments of Flash, GL, Hawkman, Atom, Teen Titans, and JLA.

If a DVD set like that ever happened, that would kill two birds with one stone.

WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER FRIENDS:
                  Rub Three Times for Disaster, Lex Luthor Strikes Back, Space Knights of Camelon, Lord of Middle Earth, Unvierse of Evil, Terror at 20,000 Fathoms, SuperFriends Meet Frankenstein, and Planet of Oz.
                  EXTRA FEATURES:
                  Justice League, Teen Titans, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, the Atom cartoons.

In my humble opinion, I think this would be a great seller since I don't think the DC segments will sell very well by themselves.

As for Legends of the Super Heroes, I have it on VHS and like many others, I loved it like crazy when I was a little kid and saw the specials on NBC. But when I got this video in college and watched it, I was mortified. The silliness with the laugh track made me go "What the Hell?!" The only good aspect is indeed seeing Adam West, Burt Ward, and Frank Gorshin back in their perspective roles, plus seeing what live action versions of Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Sinestro, Solomon Grundy, and Giganta looked like not to mention the Atom. However, only the Challenge was fun to watch. The Roast was a waste of time. If I had been in charge, I would have had Black Lightning instead of Ghetto Man and I look at Retired Man as a live action version of what the Wonder Twins were to the SuperFriends. I believe that the day that WB officially releases these specials on DVD is the day that all Hell freezes over.

Cheers.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by filmation batman fan
                    I just thought of a cool idea for a DVD release. Regarding the 1967 DC Super Hero Filmation segments. Not that WB would ever consider this, but imagine if you will the following DVD set:

THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER FRIENDS:
                    The Complete Series 1979

Imagine if you will, all 8 half hour episodes of the 1979 series on a DVD set. 8 episodes alone would fill up one or two discs, whichever way they wanted to do it. A really short set. So for extras. the Filmation DC Super Heroes segments of Flash, GL, Hawkman, Atom, Teen Titans, and JLA.

If a DVD set like that ever happened, that would kill two birds with one stone.

WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER FRIENDS:
                    Rub Three Times for Disaster, Lex Luthor Strikes Back, Space Knights of Camelon, Lord of Middle Earth, Unvierse of Evil, Terror at 20,000 Fathoms, SuperFriends Meet Frankenstein, and Planet of Oz.
                    EXTRA FEATURES:
                    Justice League, Teen Titans, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, the Atom cartoons.

In my humble opinion, I think this would be a great seller since I don't think the DC segments will sell very well by themselves.

As for Legends of the Super Heroes, I have it on VHS and like many others, I loved it like crazy when I was a little kid and saw the specials on NBC. But when I got this video in college and watched it, I was mortified. The silliness with the laugh track made me go "What the Hell?!" The only good aspect is indeed seeing Adam West, Burt Ward, and Frank Gorshin back in their perspective roles, plus seeing what live action versions of Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Sinestro, Solomon Grundy, and Giganta looked like not to mention the Atom. However, only the Challenge was fun to watch. The Roast was a waste of time. If I had been in charge, I would have had Black Lightning instead of Ghetto Man and I look at Retired Man as a live action version of what the Wonder Twins were to the SuperFriends. I believe that the day that WB officially releases these specials on DVD is the day that all Hell freezes over.

Cheers.
                    black lighting had always been a character whose use in other media was in dispute hence Hanna banrbara creating Black Vulcan. Even though all the characters are DC property since HB still exists I suspect they have some say about what is released too. They haev used both Apache Chief and Black vulcan frequently in harvey birdman atty at law

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      The Legends of the Super Heroes (The Challenge and The Roast) is not out on official DVD from Warner's, and I wouldn't hold your breath. I could see this maybe being put on a complete Super Friends box set, as a bonus feature, but that's it. I doubt DC/Warners wants this out there. Its kind of like the Star Wars Christmas Special. They act like it never happened.

I have a boot of it, and it is pretty darn bad. Aside from seeing West, Ward, and Gorshin back in character, and seeing the other characters in costume, it is pretty awful. The "humor" isn't really humor at all. The Batman TV series was much more clever and amusing than this.

Chris

I remember seeing commercials for these when I was a kid (I guess I was 3 or 4). I was really excited about them. I remember watching them too and not realizing what the heck just happened after they ended. Now, I still got a true thrill out of watching them, back then, I just didn't "get" a lot of it.

I've seen both, again, as an adult and couldn't get through the entire thing.

I can still remember the Batmobile racing away in one of those old commercials.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎