Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

This is a really tough project. That image is a screencap from the DVD, it doesn't exist in a larger form anywhere as far as I know, which means it would have to be redrawn by hand, essentially. On the HOJ I had the treasury edition comic that was quite large to use as a base.

I wonder about using this, though it's missing a lot of key players.
    http://www.treasurycomics.com/images...s_villains.gif
    This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• censy
      thread killer
      • Sep 26, 2007

way cool!

So what's the deal with Black Lightning anyway? Just kidding Anthony : )

I think it would make sense to take liberties with the roster of villains. Like the HOJ, include the characters mego made, since they will be used in the playset. Then expand it to include a few of the others who really were on the show and some people have made customs of.

This way, you won't need to use an existing piece of group art which may or may not have the right roster. You can piece it together from various sources.

The other image of the hall exterior is awesome.

Chris

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

Hmm, I passed this on to a guy I work with, he's game to do the drawing. If that works out it'll rock, he's an all-pro animation artist.

Comment

• megomike98118
          Museum Super Collector
          • Sep 7, 2008

actually, now that i think about it, i guess including the villains that mego made would work too. after all, they have the same common goal: TO RULE THE WORLD! as to why, i have no idea.
          Founding member of the Legion of Doom

Comment

• Action Martin
            Apeonaut
            • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by MegoScott
            So help me out here. I've working on this painting for the front panel of the LOD playset.
            http://www.didadisplays.com/protos/lod/lod1.jpg
            When you say "front panel" do you mean the door that faces us when displayed or the backside that faces away from us when displayed? I think it would be better facing away.

Originally posted by MegoScott
            Should this be the other outside image? Do you really want Black Lightning and Apache Cheif and those guys? Since Joker wasn't in the show should he be excluded, even though you'll probably put your Mego Joker in the playset?
            http://www.didadisplays.com/protos/lod/legion-back.jpg
            Put this image on the bottom side of the door like you did with the Toth Superfriends. This is a tribute to "Challenge of the Superfriends" so the image should remain unaltered.

Besides I have 7 of the 13 Legionaires as customs already. This will motivate me to get a Toyman and Captain Cold done soon.
            Scott

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

If you are going for a "Challenge" specific playset, then I would only include the characters from the show. The Hall of Justice or the JLA Satellite or whatever can have the excluded characters.

I'm not sure what Marvel Playsets would look cool. Avengers Mansion and the X-Men mutant school are not that visually interesting. I take that back, the danger room could be cool.
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Action Martin
                Apeonaut
                • Dec 30, 2007

BTW, will this be a deluxe display set or "basic" display set?
                Scott

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                  Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                  • Oct 8, 2007

I would stick to the show, and keep the Original 13. That image of the Legion Hall is exactly what I had hoped for. I really like that classic pic of the 2 sides charging each other. This thing is going to kick ***.
                  "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by PCofmisfittoys
                    i think it should just have the original 13 . Maybe scenes or classic moments on the side
                    I agree--classic LOD, use classic H-B "Challenge art.

If you have extra room on other panels, you might add Penguin, Joker, Mxy, maybe even Star Sapphire, Prof. Zoom, Metallo, pirate Catwoman, Fisherman (or Ocean Master), Gentleman Ghost, Sivana, Two-Face. These reflect the original Mego foes as well as popular customs that might have been members--kind of a Ross "Justice" nod.

Can't wait to see how this progresses, Scott. I've resisted Dida so far because I'm still collecting vintage, but this is the project that just might make me take the plunge. The LOD is what made me want custom Megos!
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mego Milk
                      Custom Mego Maker
                      • Jun 3, 2007

diggit.

I think it would be cool to stick to the tv show characters.

right on.

Comment

• megocanada
                        Permanent Member
                        • Apr 18, 2003

Stick with the Challenge of Super-Friends picture. I love the screen picture!
                        the greatest Superman of all time Earth 2 Superman

Comment

• bobws
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 13, 2008

I'm of mixed feelings, ilike the idea of pure LOD on the cover, but maybe other villians on panels inside.
                          i think the heroes look cool even BV AC and S.
                          i vote for a Danger room playset next and the Teen Titans Tower and Legion HQ after that. Do you have the JLA Satellite as a playset already? i would need that! A TARDIS Playset OH YEAH !!!!!!!! Blue Box outside white Roundels inside PLEASE !!!!!!!!!
                          Last edited by bobws; Oct 15, '08, 12:48 AM. Reason: update
                          "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Scott, there's an Adams/Giordano DC villains illustration from the DC 76 calendar I can get you a high-res scan of. Has most of the LOD if memory serves.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
                              Founding Partner
                              • Nov 17, 2006

Thanks, Chris, I've been wanting to get my hands on those calendars. We're going to take a shot at recreating this image, but it'd be great to have more options to add to the sides.

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Personally? I think it's a mistake to add anything from the comics
                                to this LOD playset for the simple reason that this LEGION OF DOOM
                                was a TV phenomenon.

Now---I guess I understand the philosophy of adding stuff from the comics
                                if a Dida-made DC villains headquarters playset goal is geared towards
                                limiting a villains headquarters to just the HALL OF DOOM and attempting
                                to bring the TV idea into a more "neutral context" as I guess that's what the
                                Mego HOJ was doing (exploiting the familliar name from TV as opposed
                                to making a JLA Satellite playset)---

I guess I just think in a more focused way when it comes to product direction
                                ---it'd be a easier thought process for me personally to design
                                something with the "TV/HB" "limitations" in mind---otherwise
                                the options are too spread across the board.

One other direction to consider is get real "Megoey" and mimic what was
                                done with the Dida HOJ playset and feature JUST the five Mego DC villains
                                in a group shot simillar to the heroes shot used for the Dida HOJ---then
                                additonally using smaller references to favorite 70s DC villain
                                customs/main arch villains like: Cheetah, Sinestro, Capt. Cold, Black Manta,
                                Lex Luthor....as well as villains who weren't LOD members yet had Mego
                                counterparts---i.e. Sivana, Merlyn The Archer and Dr. Light etc, etc.

So yeah---my opinion hinges on if there's no need for a comicbook "Citadel"
                                or other DC villain headquarters---and if there isn't----then adding
                                comicbook references throughout is expected, but of course with the
                                usual "design tact".
                                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎