X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Trek (TOS) Who Morns for Adonis (help)

I am trying to put together the character Adonis from the Star Trek (TOS) episode: "Who Morns for Adonis"
    I have everything I need except for the darn gold boots.

FTC has exactly what I need, but there gold color (yellow) Isis boots and made for the female figure body,
    I need those same exact boots but for the male body and I doubt the ones offered by FTC will fit on the male legs and feet.

I tried looking at the Bible figures and there's nothing even closely matching. I can't think of anything else resembling
    the boots the character wore in the episode, I even considered getting the repro Thor boots and cutting off the black top part
    but it's not a very close match, so I'm hoping someone from the museum might have an idea or even better could make me
    Isis gold boots but for the male body, if that's even possible?

if anyone can help or has an idea, please let me know, I would love to get this character added to my Trek collection.

Thanks.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

The Isis boots fit well on a teen male body. My guess is that they will fit a reg. male leg but be snug, with the sole a little short on the foot.

The Samson Bible figure has some very nice larger sandal-boots, but they are brown.

What are you using for a head? I always thought a repainted Launcelot with laurel-leaves added would work well.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

One of the members suggested the Barbi gladiator sandals, which I didn't think of just because I figured
      they may be to big or long, but I checked the eBay link they left for me and after looking it might be a possibility.

I also was thinking about taking the chance and getting the Isis FTC boots and seeing if they would fit on the
      FTC China bodies, the only negative thing is will they break if you have to use a little force to get them on?
      the sandals being a little short on the foot is not to big of a deal.

For the head I was thinking Mego Starsky, it may look cool with the laurel leaves, but I'll check Launcelot and
      maybe the character from Space 1999 with the black curled hair, forget the name at the moment.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

King Tut will have the sandals that fit a male figure, maybe FTC will offer them soon.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

I contacted FTC and they told me that the Isis sandals will break if you try to put them on a male body leg,
          I also asked about King Tut sandals being sold separate, and they said that they will not be selling any
          66 criminals clothing or accessories separately.

So a members suggestion on the Barbie gladiator sandals fitting on a Mego male leg, looks like the only way to go
          I'm thinking of going that route, they come in white and seem to be cheap enough, just would have to paint them.

Comment

• daz71
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2014

maybe split the boots down the back with an xacto knife to get them on then fuse them back together with mouldable plastic pellets I have no idea if it would work or not.

Comment

• scifiguy94
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 18, 2009

The last one I saw used Bible figure Samson's shoes painted gold. Looked about right.

Comment

• ZMOQ
                Museum Super Collector
                • Jun 1, 2010

You mean this guy, right?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spoc...ntman.jpg.html

2 ideas.

1) You could go for real leather, and paint it gold. Attach the sandal straps by using either Aileen's tacky glue or really tiny drops of hot glue. The hot glue is stronger, but harder to control.

2) Instamorph moldable plastic. I had heard that people can use metallic powders or metallic eye shadow to tint the plastic. But, you need a barrier on the foot and the leg to prevent it from welding itself to your figure while you're molding it.

How flexible did you need to keep the foot? Are you willing to sacrifice the up/down movement of the foot? The sandal design, and how to attach it to the leg would depend on whether or not the sandal should be removable, and if you needed to retain the ankle movement.

I've done sandals for smaller-than-Mego figures before, but to retain the foot movement, I had to either a) stylize the top leg part and not connect it to the sandal or b) make it a 2 piece and rely on optical illusions to make it appear to be a single piece.
                Last edited by ZMOQ; Sep 28, '15, 1:52 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

[QUOTE=scifiguy94;1243979]The last one I saw used Bible figure Samson's shoes painted gold. Looked about right.

I've been checking eBay periodically for Bible figures, or anything closely resembling gladiator sandals,
                  I remember seeing a custom Adonis on eBay, can't remember who the seller was or what they had used for
                  sandals, I think the sandals on the Bible figures are not removable? aren't they painted onto the plastic?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

There are two different lines of Mego style Bible figures, I think. Rainfall & Wee Win? The Samson I had had intricate removable sandals with straps that reached almost knee-length. I'm going to do some research...

Addendum: OK, I think I've figured it out. Wee Win's Heroes of the Kingdom was a mid '80's Mego-style line. Figures had removable sandals and Samson, which if I recall correctly came with Delilah, was a more muscular figure with the unique sandals I mentioned. Rainfall was another--later '80s?--company that also produced Mego-type Biblical figures, in a smaller Teen Titans scale. Not as detailed. These are the figures that have feet with molded sandals, I think.

I wanted to double-check all this on Megolike.com, but the site is closed.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 28, '15, 6:01 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

just a thought, but why not use Friar Tuck sandals, paint them gold and then paint the rest of the "boot" onto the leg with the same color

Comment

• scifiguy94
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 18, 2009

Yes, Samson is Wee Win and has removable sandals that are nearly knee high. This is a custom Apollo with those sandals painted gold made by Rachel Baker.

apollo.jpg

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by ZMOQ
                          You mean this guy, right?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spoc...ntman.jpg.html

2 ideas.

1) You could go for real leather, and paint it gold. Attach the sandal straps by using either Aileen's tacky glue or really tiny drops of hot glue. The hot glue is stronger, but harder to control.

2) Instamorph moldable plastic. I had heard that people can use metallic powders or metallic eye shadow to tint the plastic. But, you need a barrier on the foot and the leg to prevent it from welding itself to your figure while you're molding it.

How flexible did you need to keep the foot? Are you willing to sacrifice the up/down movement of the foot? The sandal design, and how to attach it to the leg would depend on whether or not the sandal should be removable, and if you needed to retain the ankle movement.

I've done sandals for smaller-than-Mego figures before, but to retain the foot movement, I had to either a) stylize the top leg part and not connect it to the sandal or b) make it a 2 piece and rely on optical illusions to make it appear to be a single piece.

"yes" that's the character from the episode, leather would be cool but not looking to make this into a mayor project
                          using hot glue could be messy, since I'm no expert on stuff like this, actually never tried to anything but paint, and
                          even that usually comes out fair, but I really like the idea.

as far as the foot movement, I'm good with it staying stable, not a big deal if it doesn't go up and down. The figure
                          would only be for show and no play, (like some gals I know) and I would be getting a custom box for it.

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by scifiguy94
                            Yes, Samson is Wee Win and has removable sandals that are nearly knee high. This is a custom Apollo with those sandals painted gold made by Rachel Baker.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16675[/ATTACH]

That's the one I had seen on ebay which gave me the idea of adding the character to my trek collection,
                            the Starsky head looked good or as another member suggested a Launcelot head would work.

I will have to search ebay, for the Wee Win Sampson, if I can find one with it's sandals and not to expensive
                            probably would be the way to go on this, probably the easiest way, if someone here has them, let me know.

Everyone had great suggestions, thanks for the help and comments, always appreciated.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

The Starsky head does look good, I'll admit.

The Wee Win Samson has a unique body as well as very nice molded accessories (sandals as above, gauntlets, and a wide belt with chest-strap--all in brown vinyl) which is great custom fodder.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎