X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

Condensation? Oil? Something inside plastic window of Retro-Heroes

My Brother purchased a Green Lantern for my son yesterday, and to my dismay...There was that "Darn oil leak" in the card. As soon as i pulled out GL from the card, the costume was soaked with something that fet like "baby oil"...Talk about a lube job. I have never seen (in my lifetime so far) a carded action figure that was full of a lubricant.....What gives? I mean it's not a question that you have to grease these things to keep them from rusting...akin to a chain in a motor. Incidentally, as i removed the Green Lantern's greasssy costume (hence the sss's), It took me awhile of soaping up my hands to remove the oil (that was late last night, and still today... my fingers feel very oily). Unfortunately, I will not be purchasing nor accepting anymore of these Mattel DC figures until i'm satisfied that there's no harm due to this "Condensation Oil" fiasco. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• JimCem99
      New Yorker stuck in Hell!
      • Jan 30, 2010

I called CS and they said they would send me a shipping label to return the figures and then they'll send me a $20 voucher for each figure. They said this way they can see the figures to determine what is wrong with them. But I don't want the figures returned. Perhaps I'll get a toyroom card (or maybe a box) to put these on as I wanted these on card and not loose.

Comment

• Orion
        Museum Night Watchman
        • Mar 11, 2008

Originally posted by Ivaniski
        My Brother purchased a Green Lantern for my son yesterday, and to my dismay...There was that "Darn oil leak" in the card. As soon as i pulled out GL from the card, the costume was soaked with something that fet like "baby oil"...Talk about a lube job. I have never seen (in my lifetime so far) a carded action figure that was full of a lubricant.....What gives? I mean it's not a question that you have to grease these things to keep them from rusting...akin to a chain in a motor. Incidentally, as i removed the Green Lantern's greasssy costume (hence the sss's), It took me awhile of soaping up my hands to remove the oil (that was late last night, and still today... my fingers feel very oily). Unfortunately, I will not be purchasing nor accepting anymore of these Mattel DC figures until i'm satisfied that there's no harm due to this "Condensation Oil" fiasco. Just my 2 cents.
        I think as a parent that is the decision you have to make. I would do the same. I hope this issue is addressed and rectified very soon. From all the reports to date, this seems like the most dramatic problem with the figures to date. I saw drops on my GA, but haven't seen any figure soaked with this substance to date.

Comment

• D!n0-M@n
          w/ Life-Like Hair & Beard
          • Sep 17, 2008

Originally posted by jackson5677
          I was so happy to get these figures and wanted to leave them on the cards for display.....now I'm getting a little nevous.....should I take them off the cards....are they soon going to be garbage?
          I've been really nervous about this too, so last night I just bit the bullet and tore them off of their cards. They're all on Cast-A-Way bodies now. Just need to do the "boil head to pop on body" trick. The characters are what mostly mattered to me, not so much the figures if that makes any sense. Also, I wasn't down with saving these guys on their cards to have them turn to crap by just leaving them there. They look and function way better on their new bods anyway and now I'm not worried about them or the $$$ I spent for them.
          Last edited by D!n0-M@n; Mar 17, '10, 12:19 PM. Reason: words added
          MY GODS ARE SMALL...... AND PLASTIC!

Comment

• drmego
            EMCE Toys
            • Jun 15, 2001

Our contact at Mattel got the answer.

The first batch of figures had paint migration onto the card, so the factory
            spritzed the heads with silicone based oil that will NOT stain the costumes.

If the sprayer had a light touch, the oil evaporated, if the sprayer had a
            lead finger - the excess oil ended up on the blister.

It may not look pretty, but it is not toxic, will not cause mutations, or
            destroy the long term existence of these figures.
            www.drmego.com
            www.megoman.com
            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• jackson5677
              Banned
              • Oct 19, 2008

Originally posted by drmego

so does that mean I can leave them on the cards....will this oil dry up or get worse ?

Comment

• jayihdz
                aaaggghhhh!
                • Mar 6, 2007

Thanks Doc!!

Comment

• pmwasson
                  Maker
                  • Sep 12, 2007

Wow! Now that is customer service. Thanks for letting us know what happened Doc. Its really neat having an inside man on toys that are currently being developed.
                  sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• toystalker
                    none
                    • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by drmego

aww ok now i know why i have brown paint rub behind the green lantern heads on the backing card... was worried the head was melting there

cool at least we have shed some light on it

next!
                    Last edited by toystalker; Mar 17, '10, 2:21 PM.

Comment

• toystalker
                      none
                      • Mar 27, 2008

best if doc makes a single post in the emce section i recon as there are plenty of thread knocking around about this...

just a thought like but they see the name doc and they are going to look in

Comment

• Agent of SHIELD
                        • May 10, 2007

Doc, Thanks for for finding out where that oil came from.

Comment

• drmego
                          EMCE Toys
                          • Jun 15, 2001

dry up or get worse

Warmer air temperature and air circulation should, over time, dry out the
                          oil but it may leave streaks on the blister.

Maybe someone here will experience with silicone-based oils can answer
                          that question.

My guess is that these figures are expected to be taken out of the
                          cases and displayed in stores with moderate temperatures and good
                          air exchange, before being opened and exposed to the air - allowing
                          the oil to evaporate.

Originally posted by jackson5677
                          so does that mean I can leave them on the cards....will this oil dry up or get worse ?
                          www.drmego.com
                          www.megoman.com
                          www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks for the update, Doc. I know sometimes we can take our toys too seriously around here... and you have been a saint listening to us complain about these figures. But in this case, I think everyone had a legitimate concern: what is that stuff, and are these toys safe? My son loves his Superman. I really wanted to make sure this goo was not a danger to my boy. I'm glad to hear this stuff isn't going to hurt anybody (or any of our cool action figures).

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Looks like I may have ripped my 2nd Green Arrow off the Card too soon.
                              sigpic

Comment

• jayihdz
                                aaaggghhhh!
                                • Mar 6, 2007

Originally posted by The Bat
                                Looks like I may have ripped my 2nd Green Arrow off the Card too soon.
                                No worries...I did thw same with my Supes.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎