X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Seeking Mac Mini advice/suggestions

My old Mac Pro is on its last legs. It's quite old by computer standards. I believe from 2007.

I had a few upgrades done to it through the years...but the nice folks at Apple made it near obsolete, as its highest OS X system is Lion 10.7.4. It's not capable of having either Mavericks or Yosemite installed.

My Illustrator and Photoshop barely open now.

So...my question...

Any of you have a Mac Mini? What you think of it? You think it's good for Illustrator and Photoshop?

Not interested in anything other than a Mac. However, I don't want an iMac, MacBook,MacBook Pro, MacAir either. And forget the new MacPro...those suckers cost almost as much as a car, lol.

I have an iPad Air, love it to death, but that's my browser buddy, my GPS, the take anywhere internet tablet with AT&T G4 service...but it's not built/designed for Illustrator or Photoshop.

I hear Apple made the latest 2014 Mac Mini model only dual core. That the quad core 2012 is actually the faster and superior computer. The new one is also closed shut, you can't open it to add additional hardware. Plus no DVD drive, although an external would solved that problem.

My main interest is a late (October) 2012 Mc Mini Quad 8GB (minimum)...

I want to utilize my Apple Cinema Display monitor, wireless keyboard, and wireless mouse with the Mini...it just makes $ense.

Please, no Apple vs PC wars here...both are cool, it's just my preference...been an Apple user all my life...no hate for PC's, it's like my car/truck preferences...I'm not a Chevy man, it's a good company...but I bleed Ford blue, lol.

Thanks...

Last edited by Hector; Jul 28, '15, 8:18 PM.
    sigpic
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

I'm seeking advice/suggestions...not ready to buy this minute yet...gotta do more research...
    sigpic

Comment

• Mawni
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 11, 2007

I'm a Mac guy too. My parents have a Mac Mini. I'm just not sure how upgradable they are. I do know that when I bought my iMac in 2009 I opted to pay more for top of the line i7 processor and that was a really good decision because my computer still runs all of the newer software even though it is almost 6 years old.

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

Sounds like you are pretty set on the mini, Hec. I am always fond of notebooks, But that is probably because I travelled for a living for many years. Apple seems to always make the best of a certain form factor just before they change gears, and the gear changing now is for no media drives and wireless everything. So you are probably spot on for going a few years into the past and getting the top end there. One of the nice things about Apple products is their value holds for a bit, so if you don't like it, you can always resell and check something else out.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Thanks for your inputs, guys.

Yes, the Mini makes more monetary sense to me...as I already have a 20 inch Apple Cinema Display, plus wireless keyboard/mouse. I'll just discard my ancient gigantic heavy Mac Pro dinosaur...but keep the rest of the goodies.

My iPad is my portable fun tablet...buying a notebook kinda defeats the purpose with me...I like to use Illustrator and Photoshop in the privacy of my man cave...seeing my stuff in a large flatscreen...using the mouse and Wacom tablet.
          Last edited by Hector; Aug 2, '15, 4:24 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mawni
            I'm a Mac guy too. My parents have a Mac Mini. I'm just not sure how upgradable they are. I do know that when I bought my iMac in 2009 I opted to pay more for top of the line i7 processor and that was a really good decision because my computer still runs all of the newer software even though it is almost 6 years old.
            Yeah, I definitely would go with a i7 processor, quad...and a minimum of 8GB memory.

Not worried about upgrading...just get one all muscled up...and discard it for something else in a few years, like my old Mac Pro.

Still trying to decide between the 2014 model vs the 2012 model.
            sigpic

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

I haven't used a Mac mini, a couple of years ago is got a Mac Pro 2008 tower. Quad core 2.8 GHz are fairly cheap, but completely updatable. It's also a powerhouse and super easy and reasonable to upgrade.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Mine is 2.66 Dual core. Only 2GB memory. It's now slow as hell.

How can I upgrade it? How much would it cost? I mean, I could, but the thing is so big and heavy, it's always a drag to take it to a tech for upgrades...plus it takes too much area space in my room.

I'd probably can land a used Quad Mini with 8GB of memory for about $600 or so...
                sigpic

Comment

• Agent4125
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Aug 23, 2007

Originally posted by Hector
                  ... The new one is also closed shut, you can't open it to add additional hardware. ...
                  Well, you can open it but need a somwhat exotic screwdriver (TR6 ?).
                  Do you know ifixit? They usually have helpful guides (see https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Unibody).
                  But as far as I know you can only replace SSD or harddrive. RAM is soldered now and cannot be replaced anymore
                  (in the 2014 model).

I don't have a Mini. But since my MacBook Pro is becoming older I am also starting to think about buying a new Mac.
                  But I am not happing with the direction that Apple is moving into and wouldn't know what machine to buy.
                  More and more components are omitted (no DVD anymore etc) and
                  it seems that Apple's main interest now is to sell music, movies, books, apps etc...

I think I would also buy the 2012 model if I had to choose between the two Mac Minis.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Amen, brother...amen...
                    sigpic

Comment

• megoapesnut
                      The name says it all!
                      • Dec 3, 2007

You will be fine with that mini, Hec. We have two of those at work. Both are hooked up to 24 inch cinema displays and run the entire Adobe suite just fine. If you start doing HD video editing with Final Cut... then you might be seeing some long processing waits. But other than that it will be fine for what you want. I have a Mac Pro 3.0 12 core with 64GB of RAM hooked to a 30 inch cinema display at home so I am good for a while. I do HD video editing on it no problem, although I am sure exporting out final video files would take less time with a new Mac Pro, but not enough to justify the cost.

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                        Mine is 2.66 Dual core. Only 2GB memory. It's now slow as hell.

How can I upgrade it? How much would it cost? I mean, I could, but the thing is so big and heavy, it's always a drag to take it to a tech for upgrades...plus it takes too much area space in my room.

I'd probably can land a used Quad Mini with 8GB of memory for about $600 or so...

I don't know much about the 2.66 Dual core - but as far as I know if it's got an Intel processor it should be able to upgrade to Yosemite, so I'm not sure why it can't. I run Yosemite on this machine. Though yours is 2007 and mine is a 2008 machine, so maybe there's a difference that I'm not aware of? I could ask a Mac genius dude I know, if you want.

From what I've seen online you could probably triple the RAM in your machine for $50 USD.

I use Photoshop all day, and I love this machine. I had an iMac before and if I had a tech issue my whole week could be jacked up. With this machine if a hard drive or something gets hosed I can pop it open, swap out the part, and be up and running in minutes.

The size and weight sucks, I agree with you, this thing is a monster. But I never take my machine to a tech. I find this machine amazingly well designed for quick upgrades and do the work myself. And seriously, I'm actually pretty useless when it comes to this stuff, so I think if I could do it anyone could.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to make you change your mind. I went through the pros and cons about 2 years ago and ended up with this 2008 machine. It's got 16GB of RAM and tears through Photoshop files, and I really like it.
                        Last edited by Brazoo; Jul 29, '15, 8:17 AM.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                          You will be fine with that mini, Hec. We have two of those at work. Both are hooked up to 24 inch cinema displays and run the entire Adobe suite just fine. If you start doing HD video editing with Final Cut... then you might be seeing some long processing waits. But other than that it will be fine for what you want. I have a Mac Pro 3.0 12 core with 64GB of RAM hooked to a 30 inch cinema display at home so I am good for a while. I do HD video editing on it no problem, although I am sure exporting out final video files would take less time with a new Mac Pro, but not enough to justify the cost.
                          Could you provide the specs of those two Minis?
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Brazoo
                            I don't know much about the 2.66 Dual core - but as far as I know if it's got an Intel processor it should be able to upgrade to Yosemite, so I'm not sure why it can't. I run Yosemite on this machine. Though yours is 2007 and mine is a 2008 machine, so maybe there's a difference that I'm not aware of? I could ask a Mac genius dude I know, if you want.

From what I've seen online you could probably triple the RAM in your machine for $50 USD.

I use Photoshop all day, and I love this machine. I had an iMac before and if I had a tech issue my whole week could be jacked up. With this machine if a hard drive or something gets hosed I can pop it open, swap out the part, and be up and running in minutes.

The size and weight sucks, I agree with you, this thing is a monster. But I never take my machine to a tech. I find this machine amazingly well designed for quick upgrades and do the work myself. And seriously, I'm actually pretty useless when it comes to this stuff, so I think if I could do it anyone could.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to make you change your mind. I went through the pros and cons about 2 years ago and ended up with this 2008 machine. It's got 16GB of RAM and tears through Photoshop files, and I really like it.
                            I've taken my old pro Mac to this place, the guys are awesome, and not expensive like other shops...

Specialties: At MagicMatt, we don't just offer WiFi, Wiring, and Tech Support – we deliver peace of mind. With a harmonious blend of cutting-edge technology and time-honored customer service values, we ensure every client feels both empowered by the latest tech and comforted by our human touch. We pride ourselves on going the extra mile, understanding that each client's tech needs are unique, and offering bespoke solutions tailored just for them. From the simplest WiFi setups to the most intricate wiring projects, our expertise shines, setting us apart in a digital age. Established in 2005. Welcome to the world of Magic Matt, your tech wizard with over two decades of mastery honed at Apple's prestigious training grounds. From crafting custom, cost-effective Wi-Fi and Data Wiring solutions to offering unrivaled wisdom in the Apple ecosystem, we've got your tech needs covered. With more than 12,000 satisfied customers, glowing reviews, and transparent pricing, Magic Matt's here to guide you through any tech maze. Step in and discover the magic touch in technology!

The tech said my 2007 Mac reached its limit in terms of operating system, Lion. I mean, if it could be upgraded to Yosemite...I'd assume he would want me coming back for repairs and upgrades, lol. It also doesn't have an internal Bluetooth device...I had to get an external one. He did set up my Mac with two DVD drives, and has a 500 GB hard drive capacity (more can be added). It only has 2GB of ram though...so maybe just having Lion is okay...as long as I supe up the memory.

What you recommend me getting as far as RAM is concerned? I'm pretty ignorant of computers themselves. Can I install it myself? Should I back up my files? I don't have an external HD. Can you recommend one?

Also, I have another very old iMac, older than my Mac Pro, you know, the see-through bubble graphite looking one. I have lots of downloaded photos that I'd love to retrieve, how would I go about transferring those to a newer computer?

This is the oldie I have in storage:

So many questions I have to ask...

Last edited by Hector; Jul 29, '15, 12:48 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Oh yeah, please ask a Mac Genius...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢