Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

Vintage: O-Ring construction Joes, hands down.

For a great example of modern 3 3/4 inch figures look at the Jakks wrestling/UFC figures. Sturdy construction, superheroic in proportions, articulation, and decent likeness at that scale (some heads look better than others, but you can't win them all.)

If I had the talent, I would have customized a whole army of DC and Marvel figures on these 3 3/4 Jakks bodies.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• ZICA
      Persistent Member
      • May 7, 2006

I wanted to bump this thread back to the top because there are a few things going on behind the scenes that could make this information very useful. So far it seems like the classic 80's G.I. Joe design/articulation is winning out over the classic Kenner style. For myself, and I'm a classic Kenner generation kid, I think the 80's G.I. Joe design would be the best. In my opinion, this design offers more versatility in regards to the figures holding accessories/weapons, holding cool poses and working better with ships and playsets. What do you guys/gals think?

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I never liked the Joe design. Sorry, but I think Kenner had it right. Kenner just look more toy-like, which I think is the point. My childhood Buck Rogers and GI Joes had O ring breakage issues too.

Kenner screams more retro to me.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

My pick is 80s GI Joe style. As beloved as our original Kenner SW stuff is, the originals have a hard time comparing to the 3 3/4 stuff that my kids have now. The extra articulation really adds to the finished product IMO.

I also like the idea of being able to pop apart the body and mix'n'match limbs.

Comment

• kinostadt
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 14, 2004

In the 3 3 /4" scale, I always preferred the figures with just 5 points of articulation. They were more durable, with better sculpts and paint. And, the limited articulation was still enough to fit inside of vehicles and playsets.

Comment

• kinostadt
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 14, 2004

The "o-ring" articulated 3 3/4" figures tended to get wobbly, and the plastic was more brittle.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Never liked the brittle plastic either. Broken thumbs and crotches, anyone?

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I really love the O ring design personally but the five points of articulation route wouldn't deter me from purchase.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• bgiles73
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 14, 2010

I liked Galoob's Star Trek:TNG figures which have the exact same articulation as your SMDM line. I would love to see Star Trek revisited in this same format. The only thing I think that would make those better would be ball hinged shoulder and swivel wrists.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by ZICA
                      So far it seems like the classic 80's G.I. Joe design/articulation is winning out over the classic Kenner style.
                      I originally thought 80s GI Joe style would be a more popular choice with people. But now that I've seen the Bionic Man protos I'd personally prefer the classic Kenner look and style.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

Star Wars style. I liked my Micronauts, but they all broke. My Star Wars figures are still all in perfect condition.

Couldn't ball joints be a compromise? I see it on a lot of 6" figures these days.
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Spyweb007
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 18, 2006

Kenner's Super Powers figures had a nice combination of articulation and looks.

Comment

• ZICA
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2006

Interesting to see how opinions have changed since I originally posted the question. Concerning the G.I. Joe design, what if improvements were made so that broken O-rings and plastic (thumbs and crotches) weren't an issue? Would the classic Kenner design still be the favorite?

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

What you are doing with $6MDM and what Super7 are doing with ALIEN are perfect! This model ain't broke. So many vintage toys were of this style: Remco Monsters, Flash Gordon, Clash of the Titans, Battlestar Galactica... The list goes on.

Love it or hate it, Star Wars dominated the 3 3/4 format, and is the gold standard for retro style.

Comment

• bgiles73
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 14, 2010

I personally like both styles, but I've noticed that with all the new releases in Star Wars Black Series, I've bought all four of the 6" figures released. Out of the two 3 3/4" lines running I'm drawn to the ones with 5 points of articulation. Maybe it's the lower price point? I don't know. I think it's more about the warm nostalgic feeling that I get from those figures.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎