Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobws
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 13, 2008

Considering the lead time needed,why did you get the License for Buck Rogers for so short a time? was it due to the expense or the wishes of the rights holder? Trying to come out with 9 figures in less than 2 years seems like it would be a long shot.
    "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• Sandman9580
      Career Member
      • Feb 16, 2010

I prefer the old school Star Wars look. And the cloth capes and accessories were one of the things I loved most about that line. I'd love to see a modern toy line that looked like that.
      Last edited by Sandman9580; Sep 21, '11, 3:25 AM.

Comment

• SpaceAgent
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 21, 2009

I like the vintage SW. The Joes looked too loose-limbed, IMO.

Comment

• ZICA
          Persistent Member
          • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by bobws
          Considering the lead time needed,why did you get the License for Buck Rogers for so short a time? was it due to the expense or the wishes of the rights holder? Trying to come out with 9 figures in less than 2 years seems like it would be a long shot.
          Let's just say I was in a position that I could have easily renewed the license to make more figures if sales had been strong enough. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

I like the Star Wars style for aesthetic reasons, but I would prefer the Joes as a customizes because they are so much easier to work with. That said, I have no interest in either line beyond what I can make from them. Now if you had ask the difference between Star Trek Mego and Star Trek ERTL.....

CCC.

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

Articulation wise? Joe
              Aesthetic wise? SW

Plastic and metal rivets, however, don't go hand in hand. Causes friction and ends up making the plastic smooth and loose. Plastic rivets may work but break easily. :(

Comment

• Nefud
                Museum Patron
                • Mar 17, 2009

Modern G.I. Joe or Marvel Universe (that is to say, the good figures from Marvel Universe usually more like their movie lines, such as Iron Man or Captain America).

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

Joes. Articulation is a big selling factor in toys today. You won't be taken seriously by a huge sect of collectors without an ample number of points.

Comment

• ZICA
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                    Joes. Articulation is a big selling factor in toys today. You won't be taken seriously by a huge sect of collectors without an ample number of points.
                    I don't necessarily think that's always the case, especially when you're talking about retro styled figures aimed at collectors. Sometimes I think it would be best if the figures are designed like they would have been back in the 70's or early 80's, especially if they're for a property that never had action figures during that time.

Comment

• rche
                      channeling Bob Wills
                      • Mar 26, 2008

^^ agreed

I think this is the approach that the small scale Venture Bros figures are taking. At least I hope so.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

i liked the articulation of the 80's Joes, once they added the ball neck and swivel arm bicep

Comment

• ogemtoys
                          • May 15, 2009

My vote is for the vintage star wars style.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by ZICA
                            I don't necessarily think that's always the case, especially when you're talking about retro styled figures aimed at collectors. Sometimes I think it would be best if the figures are designed like they would have been back in the 70's or early 80's, especially if they're for a property that never had action figures during that time.
                            I guess it depends on who you're trying to sell them too. But I'd bank on more articulation than less, because that's one of the number one complaints I hear about any line. Even retro lines. Vintage Star Wars figures are only worth money because they're vintage. If you're making something new, it needs to be as up to date with the times as possible or you're going to count a lot of people out. This is why Star Wars figures from even a few years ago are worthless today.

I rarely if ever hear "It's got too much articulation", but I hear on a near daily basis people listing lack of articulation for why they opted not to purchase certain items. Case in point the 4 Horsemen's "Outer Space Men" line. I think their sales would be double, perhaps triple what it was if the articulation model was more modern. It was the #1 reason most listed as to why they skipped the line. It was a retro line too, mind you.

I'm not an articulation junkie myself, but if I was investing cash in a project, I'd go for the more points than the fewer. Just my .2, your mileage may vary.

Comment

• Mok
                              Museum Patron
                              • Mar 4, 2010

I think Space 1999 could have had more 3.34" figures than just the ones that came with the Eagle 1 transport .
                              ATM-09-ST "Scopedog"

Comment

• boynightwing
                                That Carl Guy
                                • Apr 24, 2002

I like 80's Joe or even the 25th Anniversary Joe. But 80's Joe is best.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎