Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AAAAA
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 28, 2005

well if you have a 1,000 people doing the "cottage industry" production than your talking real money.
    they want to head that off.
    DC does goes over borad and I agree.
    The point can be argued that you making generic repair/replacement part, there laws on the books for that if a main manufacturer stop producing parts. but DC rely on people being intimated and having no money.
    Hopfully Paul will soon become a force to be reckon with in the comic and toy industry.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Meule
      Like hell they are. Thor is a mythical figure and vikings were around from 790 to about 1000 AD. Nothing about the Marvel character is original. Doc Mego could create a viking warrior with those parts and there's nothing Marvel could do about it
      Yeah but you know as well as I do that the helmet and hammer in question are reproductions of the ones Mego did based on a Marvel character...Marvel knows this too, there's a precedent that these items existed in that format prior to Doc Mego, that's why they're ready to take you to school if you violate the C&Ds. Now if Doc was to modify either item so they weren't as being obviously influenced by the Marvel/Mego version then you might have something there in regards to an alternate "Viking warrior".
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Have a safe trip, guys

m

Comment

• AAAAA
          Permanent Member
          • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          Yeah but you know as well as I do that the helmet and hammer in question are reproductions of the ones Mego did based on a Marvel character...Marvel knows this too, there's a precedent that these items existed in that format prior to Doc Mego, that's why they're ready to take you to school if you violate the C&Ds. Now if Doc was to modify either item so they weren't as being obviously influenced by the Marvel/Mego version then you might have something there in regards to an alternate "Viking warrior".
          This is true, if he made the hemlet & wings seprate pieces and the customer can gule them on if he wish, then he can get way with it.

Comment

• SoulSinger
            Singer Of Mego Love
            • Oct 22, 2007

I think the repros are different enough to be legally called different.

Bob

Comment

• Action Martin
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 30, 2007

Thor is a mythical figure and vikings were around from 790 to about 1000 AD. Nothing about the Marvel character is original.
              True. But the Marvel version of Thor is Marvel's. Anyone can create a comic book character called Thor, even have him be a Norse god but they could not use anything that has been established by Marvel. Thor's hammer and helmet were designed by Marvel, therefore their images belong to Marvel.
              Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 30, 2007

Doc's site came back online tonight and I placed an order. But then there was some glitch with the system and I wasn't sure if my order went through. Doc just called me about 10 minutes ago to let me know everything was a-ok. So I bought some more stuff while I had him on the phone.

And just a little "FYI" about things we've been discussing in this thread, if you don't see it, it doesn't mean he doesn't have it.
                Scott

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Action Martin
                  True. But the Marvel version of Thor is Marvel's. Anyone can create a comic book character called Thor, even have him be a Norse god but they could not use anything that has been established by Marvel. Thor's hammer and helmet were designed by Marvel, therefore their images belong to Marvel.
                  No, they weren't. I think you'll agree that these two pics aren't the Marvel character, but the Norse god of thunder. See the helmet, see the hammer? Marvel didn't design squat, except for the outfit maybe, but I bet they based that one something else too

"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Action Martin
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 30, 2007

While those images are similar, they are not "Marvel's look". If Doc or anyone made accessories that looked like those, Marvel would have no say. But since the Doc/Mego accessories are taken directly from Marvel Comics, those are Marvel's.

Please don't take me the wrong way. I'm no fan of Marvel Comics or whatever their corporate name is now. I'm just stating that they do own those images. I don't fully agree with their C&D but I understand it.
                    Scott

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I've gotta agree with Scott here, Thomas...the images are "close, but no cigar". Mego's hammer and helmet IS the Marvel Thor hammer and helmet...there's no room for reinterpretation there I'm afraid.

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

I'm no Marvel expert, so if you guys say that Mego's hammer and helmet are the Marvel ones I'll take your word for it, but what I was trying to say is that those aren't original ideas from Marvel, they took an existing idea and merely changed it somewhat. And not even all that much cause I hardly see a difference between the mythical figure and the Marvel Character. I was mostly objecting to the term "designed"
                        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

Oh yeah...I agree...Thor is one of the more, if not the most, suspicious copyright claims Marvel probably has...as the majority of the character and his mythos is based on Norse mythology. But I guess it's HOW they interpret the stories and the look that they can stake a claim on. In their defense, the Marvel Thor is more super-hero looking, even with the helmet and hammer. The 2 other Thor examples posted above have more in common with Conan The Barbarian than they do with Marvel's Thor. DC has a version of Thor (an obscure one at that...not seen for a while and in Golden Age stories I believe, Sandman maybe?) that is red-haired and bearded...I don't think it's ever been an issue between the two companies.

Comment

• Action Martin
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 30, 2007

what I was trying to say is that those aren't original ideas from Marvel, they took an existing idea and merely changed it somewhat.
                            I don't disagree with you.

I hardly see a difference between the mythical figure and the Marvel Character. I was mostly objecting to the term "designed"
                            I agree that Marvel has no claims to the mythical figure Norse god Thor, just that they do to their interpretation of him.
                            Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 30, 2007

Oh yeah...I agree...Thor is one of the more, if not the most, suspicious copyright claims Marvel probably has...as the majority of the character and his mythos is based on Norse mythology. But I guess it's HOW they interpret the stories and the look that they can stake a claim on. In their defense, the Marvel Thor is more super-hero looking, even with the helmet and hammer. The 2 other Thor examples posted above have more in common with Conan The Barbarian than they do with Marvel's Thor. DC has a version of Thor (an obscure one at that...not seen for a while and in Golden Age stories I believe, Sandman maybe?) that is red-haired and bearded...I don't think it's ever been an issue between the two companies.
                              Anyone can claim copyright to their own versions of mythical gods like Thor and Hercules. Heck, many comic book companies, and tv & movie studios have. Thor has been part of Marvel and DC (Sandman, All-Star Squadron) and small independent publishers. I recall a late 80s/early 90s indy titled "Sword of Thorr" or somesuch. Hercules has been with DC, Marvel, Charlton, Pacific, and probably dozens of other publishers. These gods are like public domain properties. You can make your own character out of them but no one can use your version of them.
                              Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 30, 2007

Yeah I've gotta agree with Scott
                                Someone remembered my real name! Cool.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                😀