X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    I can't see that as appealing at all, packaging variants more appealing than figure variants? No.
    It's appealing to me...otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it. FTC has been successfully selling the same figures multiple times in multiple packages, so the precedent is set. It would also instantly solve the problem of characters without three distinct variants.

I'd much rather have a boxed, carded, and Kresge Thor than a modern interpretation that holds zero appeal to me. I did a Cap mock up...yeah, I'd be all over these. Heck, Hasbro has proven the success of retro packaging variants with the Star Wars Vintage Collection.

Tri-Cap mock-up.jpg
    Last edited by enyawd72; Oct 1, '17, 4:36 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Well of course, and you're entitled to your opinion and tastes. I simply cannot picture these as any more successful than the current offerings.

I'm never much cared about packaging--not with vintage, not with remego. My interest has always been in the variety and quality of the figures offered. I think DST is dealing with a bad and reductive situation and making it worse by schedules and figure choices.

I'm not going to hold up FTC as an alternative, because IMO they're churning stuff out with grievous QA and design issues.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 1, '17, 5:34 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• BATMAN89
        Mego obsessed!!!
        • Jul 20, 2010

I like the retro replicas and the new versions too. Not a big fan of the AE figures, so I usually sell them off eventually.
        With the exception of Logan.
        Now 2 versions of Cyclops, and an AE with red glasses could be cool, but I think I'd still prefer 3 different costumes.
        Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
        My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

I would not buy a pack of three identical figures with different packages. I want different costumes, and not tiny differences like FTC does to make new variations.
          Last edited by LonnieFisher; Oct 1, '17, 5:37 PM.

Comment

• wise guy
            Career Member
            • Dec 29, 2014

A lot of people are paying 80.00 for one Mezco figure on a 6" body . I don't see why they didn't do a 2 pack like Mego Capt America, and classic Capt America, or Ironman and Tony Stark. I keep the Boxed figures and put the extra suits in a storage tub.
            I would rather get a 2 pack (with both bodies) than a body and 3 suits.
            Modern Thor head doesn't fit well on any bodies I have
            Last edited by wise guy; Oct 1, '17, 5:48 PM.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by wise guy
              A lot of people are paying 80.00 for one Mezco figure on a 6" body . I don't see why they didn't do a 2 pack like Mego Capt America, and classic Capt America, or Ironman and Tony Stark. I keep the Boxed figures and put the extra suits in a storage tub.
              I would rather get a 2 pack (with both bodies) than a body and 3 suits.
              Putting two bodies in would violate the license.
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

I can't understand why some people don't realize that the license has specific terms, and they can't just make whatever they want. It's really annoying after a few years of the same whining and wanting change, when it isn't possible. Get over it already!!

Comment

• warlock664
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                  I can't understand why some people don't realize that the license has specific terms, and they can't just make whatever they want. It's really annoying after a few years of the same whining and wanting change, when it isn't possible. Get over it already!!
                  This. Take heed, ovenmitt.

Comment

• BATMAN89
                    Mego obsessed!!!
                    • Jul 20, 2010

Iron Man should be do-able. Just take a look at all the versions Austin has made:
                    If they use can get a gold in that stretchy shiny fabric, like the silver that Austin used ^, they could really make some a great cloth modern version suit.

Brian Leitner has used that stretchy cloth before too:

They just need to get Red and Gold.

Last edited by BATMAN89; Oct 1, '17, 9:06 PM.

My Good Trader's List
                    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• BATMAN89
                      Mego obsessed!!!
                      • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                      Ya, exactly how many years has it been now? It's not going to change. End of story.

My Good Trader's List
                      My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• wise guy
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 29, 2014

I forgot that toy companies never change and Hasbro will always own the liscence
                        and no other companies ever produce Marvel figures. it's no wonder this forum is dying

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I don't know why it's dying, we're certainly brimming with positive conversation that is in no way a "groundhogs day" of drive by complaining.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            It's appealing to me...otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it. FTC has been successfully selling the same figures multiple times in multiple packages, so the precedent is set. It would also instantly solve the problem of characters without three distinct variants.

I'd much rather have a boxed, carded, and Kresge Thor than a modern interpretation that holds zero appeal to me. I did a Cap mock up...yeah, I'd be all over these. Heck, Hasbro has proven the success of retro packaging variants with the Star Wars Vintage Collection.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21676[/ATTACH]
                            Again, they can only include 1 figure... so even for fans of variant packaging, I'm not sure that works when it is just a bunch of parts on 2 of the cards...

Comment

• Teemu
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by enyawd72
                              FTC has been successfully selling the same figures multiple times in multiple packages, so the precedent is set.
                              How do you know it's successful though and people are actually buying them? FTC has the luxury of storing parts and making as many "variants" as they want without having to produce them by factory, which is why we see 15 variants of the same characters over and over. Hmmm, what can we conjure up today? How about a 66 Batman and Robin laying/tied on a table. We will sell at least 10....pretty sure FTC variants are made to order straight from the nest.

Comment

• enyawd72
                                Maker of Monsters!
                                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Teemu
                                How do you know it's successful though and people are actually buying them?
                                The same way you seem to know they're made to order. Of course, LOGIC says if they weren't selling, they wouldn't keep making them. But they do, so....

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎