Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

the box doesn't have the color insert either?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• scott metzger
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 9, 2007

Picked it up at my comic shop, but haven't had a chance to open it yet. I really am flabbergasted the way the star is attached; has there ever been a super hero with their insignia put on that way in the entire history of action figures? I mean, it's easy to fix with a glue stick, I'm sure, but seriously. How that idea ever passed muster is beyond me. Outside of that, though, the set looks good, at least in package. The heads seem to have come out well, and it's nice to see they did get rid of the thread holding the pieces in place; overall more attractive in package, and definitely giving a Captain Action costume set vibe. Like Spidey, I'll put vintage Cap and Steve Rogers on some old Mego bodies, and use the included body for the modern Cap. Still a touch on the steep side as far as price goes, even without me having to pay for extra bodies, though, compared to FTC's offerings, where you could actually get three whole more deluxe figures (like the Conan wave) for about the same, with bodies included for each.

Comment

• jayraytee
        Career Member
        • May 27, 2011

Yeah a lot of us replace the FTC bodies as well, so that more than balances out the price.
        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• tllgn
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 6, 2010

EE has these in stock,which means ill have my two sets next week.cant wait.yeah whats with that star?.

Comment

• Teemu
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by tllgn
            EE has these in stock,which means ill have my two sets next week.cant wait.yeah whats with that star?.
            it's called "poor decision".....but you can glue it down....I would of bought two if the star was done properly

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Is the star pierced by something to secure it? Ugh, that's worse than being unglued.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

i got my set today and is very pleased i don't have an issue with the threaded star crest(i do understand those who would)because it's very snug fitting on a docmego body for example and i think if the star was glued on or such it might have been damaged or fallen off pulling the suit over the body which is a bit of careful work not to tear anything.really even like the GI rogers which i thought id feel "meh" over.really happy i could just take the retro box out without it sticking to the other box.

Comment

• jayraytee
                  Career Member
                  • May 27, 2011

Yeah the star is like a pleather looking material and it's pierced with a stitch. So even if you cut the stitch and glue it down like it should of been in the first place, it will have two holes in it that won't fill back in like cloth can. What I am going to do is buy some white sticker type stars on ebay and just replace the ugly thing. Either that or just make a new one.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 12, 2014

Why cant they just make the stars like FTC makes their decals? Maybe they should have stitched it around the outer edges of the star.

Comment

• TRDouble
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jul 10, 2012

I opened mine up just now. The retro box was still not an easy thing to pull out; I had to be careful again because of the sticky stuff they used to keep it in place. Once out, I put Cap's retro box next to Spider-Man's and it is a shorter box by about 1/4 inch. That seems to account for the box blocking Cap's face. I also hate the sticker application of "Mego" Cap's shield. For me, that's as bad as the star application, which is terrible. If you are not going full on repro, then they should have gone the FTC emblem way.

The rest of the set looks fine. Is Steve's head painted? It seems cleaner than the Peter Parker head.

I know it's not a lot of things wrong -- stars, short repro box, repro shield sticker -- but I was really looking forward to this set and it is a bit of a let down for me. With Cap's face half covered, I wasn't nearly as concerned about damaging the box as I was with Spider-Man. I just shake my head at the stars (what were they thinking?!?). And without ever having a Mego Captain America, I am guessing that the shield sticker was probably just as bad (and maybe it was as bad on the shown prototypes; I never paid attention), but it doesn't make it any easier for me to look at.

Ah well. Still looking forward to Wolverine and Thor.

Comment

• Teemu
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by TRDouble
                        I opened mine up just now. The retro box was still not an easy thing to pull out; I had to be careful again because of the sticky stuff they used to keep it in place. Once out, I put Cap's retro box next to Spider-Man's and it is a shorter box by about 1/4 inch. That seems to account for the box blocking Cap's face. I also hate the sticker application of "Mego" Cap's shield. For me, that's as bad as the star application, which is terrible. If you are not going full on repro, then they should have gone the FTC emblem way.

The rest of the set looks fine. Is Steve's head painted? It seems cleaner than the Peter Parker head.

I know it's not a lot of things wrong -- stars, short repro box, repro shield sticker -- but I was really looking forward to this set and it is a bit of a let down for me. With Cap's face half covered, I wasn't nearly as concerned about damaging the box as I was with Spider-Man. I just shake my head at the stars (what were they thinking?!?). And without ever having a Mego Captain America, I am guessing that the shield sticker was probably just as bad (and maybe it was as bad on the shown prototypes; I never paid attention), but it doesn't make it any easier for me to look at.

Ah well. Still looking forward to Wolverine and Thor.
                        I would say Retro Cap is about 60% replicated

Terrible folding backwards star, attached by a single thread
                        Cap Shield Sticker has about 7 creases in it and looks nothing like the repro one
                        Blue fabric is some shiny blue material (that gets frayed very easily) vs a more solid blue like the original
                        Hands are too hard and risk breaking the shield handle because it won't fit in his hand without force (replaced with S-type hands)

So yeah,while the idea for these is cool,the final product just doesn't measure up...I am not sure how many more I'll be buying of these (Wolverine is a HUGE pass with that bulky removable captain action cowl)

Thor I'll get for the Repro (not a fan of modern Thor)

Doom,Falcon etc we'll see

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

BBTS has'nt received these yet so I am still waiting to see. I checked with a local comic shop and he has'nt got them in either.
                          The shop owner said he sold a couple of spidey sets with pre orders ( when they first came out) but has not sold one since.
                          He only ordered a few of Cap sets this time because the Spidey sets still sitting on store shelf

Comment

• Spyweb007
                            Persistent Member
                            • Apr 18, 2006

I wonder if the treatment of the star has to do with current safety standards, perhaps a sticker which could easily fall off doesn't pass safety standards today as it did in the 70's.

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                              I wonder if the treatment of the star has to do with current safety standards, perhaps a sticker which could easily fall off doesn't pass safety standards today as it did in the 70's.
                              Doesn't a lot of that have to do with the age that is put on the box? These are listed as 4 and up. I don't know though, but that star looks like it could be ripped out very easily anyway.

Comment

• jayraytee
                                Career Member
                                • May 27, 2011

Small kids get stickers all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎