X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teemu
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    Almost seems counter-intuitive but I think for this format and price-point that a figure like Thor or Iron Man would have been a better debut. With Spidey I think it's tougher to justify the $80 price tag when you can get a minty loose ORIGINAL Mego Spidey (non-circle suit) for less than that.

But you can't do that with Thor and it's tough with Iron Man and Cap so I wouldn't be surprised if those characters actually sell better in this format than Spidey will.

I'm a DC guy moreso than Marvel so I love what FTC is doing but I really hope this line works for you as well and I'll look at picking up some of the sets at least.
    I think too Captain America,Thor and Iron Man will be the better sellers of this line easily,but no worry,their coming soon

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

What, you didn't get a Toy Merchandising Expert certificate when you signed up here? I thought that was a pre-requisite for posting
      Mine came in a Cracker Jack box.
      sigpic

Comment

• nobody
        banjo!
        • Jan 26, 2012

What, you didn't get a Toy Merchandising Expert certificate when you signed up here? I thought that was a pre-requisite for posting
        Lighten up Francis.

I just wanted to see what you'd call me. LOL

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by Teemu
          I think too Captain America,Thor and Iron Man will be the better sellers of this line easily,but no worry,their coming soon
          _____Amen______

Comment

• drogge
            Career Member
            • Jul 24, 2009

I can not wait to buy this figure.

Comment

• DSTZach
              Museum Super Collector
              • Mar 1, 2012

I think, besides the president of DST being a huge Spidey fan, Spidey is still Marvel's #1 solo character, in terms of visibility and recognizability. The same reasons that made Mego produce so many of him back in the day are still valid reasons today. Plus, Mego Spidey was the star of Twisted ToyFare Theatre for over ten years, and at its peak ToyFare had a circulation of about 100K.

We can't just target Mego collectors with this line, we have to target fans of the character, and even (dare I say it) kids, or at least parents and nerdy uncles of kids. That said, I believe the circle suit variation was chosen specifically because we thought Mego collectors might appreciate it, as opposed to the more widely produced standard suit.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

^Well, I certainly appreciate the circle suit. A mint original would cost way more than $80, so that makes this set a win-win for me.

Comment

• FamousCoversFan
                  • May 18, 2014

Circle suit is a cool choice. Perhaps some day we can get the standard suit in a set with some Spidey variants (black costume?).

But first focus on the John Byrne era X-Men please :-)
                  It would be a dream come through for me.
                  Last edited by FamousCoversFan; Jul 5, '14, 3:12 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                    Still Old School
                    • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by DSTZach
                    I think, besides the president of DST being a huge Spidey fan, Spidey is still Marvel's #1 solo character, in terms of visibility and recognizability. The same reasons that made Mego produce so many of him back in the day are still valid reasons today. Plus, Mego Spidey was the star of Twisted ToyFare Theatre for over ten years, and at its peak ToyFare had a circulation of about 100K.

We can't just target Mego collectors with this line, we have to target fans of the character, and even (dare I say it) kids, or at least parents and nerdy uncles of kids. That said, I believe the circle suit variation was chosen specifically because we thought Mego collectors might appreciate it, as opposed to the more widely produced standard suit.
                    Well said. Starting with ANYONE other than Spidey with a retro toy line wouldn't make an ounce of sense.
                    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• TRDouble
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                      Well said. Starting with ANYONE other than Spidey with a retro toy line wouldn't make an ounce of sense.
                      Agreed, but I sure wish it was a regular suit instead of the circle.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                        • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by TRDouble
                        Agreed, but I sure wish it was a regular suit instead of the circle.
                        Yep, I would be more interested in the set if it came with the regular suit. I think when it comes to retro figures like this, most people want the figures to be as close as they remember having them as kids. And most of us didn't have a circle-suit Spidey. Hell most of us had no idea such a variation existed till a few years ago.

I understand why they chose it, but a 'regular' Thor or Iron Man is far more appealing to me, cause that's what I had as a kid.

Comment

• figureaddicted
                          • Jun 29, 2014

Just getting back into the Mego/ReMego collecting scene. And this is the one thing I'm torn on. I'm certainly all for expanding the Mego-verse with characters and outfits that never got done in the 70s/80s. And the concept behind these figures isnt a bad one at all. But the pricepoint has me on the fence. I know i could shell out the same money ( and quite potentially less) for a vintage Mego Spidey. And, ultimately, probably will......but i feel like i need to support this line in order to get to the real gems later. Obviously 80.00 would be an easy sell for Thor or Iron Man repros. But at the same time, even debut characters at that price are hard to grasp when FTC puts out whole series for slightly more than the cost of just one of these. However,I'm not so sure I'll be able to pass these up. At least not all of them anyway. A real testament to the enduring appeal to this style of figure. Perhaps the price point is only part of my trepidation though. I would love to see a ReMego Marvel line that gives us a Punisher, Deadpool,Moon Knight ,Ghost Rider, Magneto, Dr Doom,Hobgoblin etc. A couple of those are easily able to be slotted into the format these are being released in. But some ,and many more, i dont think could be. So , i fear that beyond the real heavy hitters and the Mego repros one would expect, this line will not be that expansive. I truly hope im wrong about that. My hope is,however, that the lines current format will be successful enough for Diamond to get clearance to produce full 4 figure sets down the line . The more traditional approach to release would open the doors to almost anything. Perhaps the best thing i can do is wait for some collector reviews of Spidey and see if the final product is what blows me away before opening up the wallet.

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                            • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by DSTZach

Maybe this has been answered, but is it possible to take the box for the Mego Spidey repro figure and display it by itself? Or is the box part of the actual packaging for the set? From the pictures it appears that the repro box is attached to the larger package, but it would be great if I could display the repro figures by themselves in their boxes.

Is that possible?

Comment

• melkorjunior
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Apr 20, 2014

I sure hope so, because getting a nice repro box is part of the reason I ordered the set.

Comment

• madmarva
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jul 7, 2007

I saw a photo with the mego box alone, probably in Toy Fair coverage or possibly a Con. They also had the remego Cap prototype, but not the new heads and costumes.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎