• batmanmc
      mego batman collector
      • Jun 22, 2004

They were better in person .

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

All good energy for Paul...nothing is ever a waste...Paul helped pioneer, revolutionize and catalyze the way for collectors. Thank goodness for EMCE! Discovering his work online made me a complete Mego fanatic....creative, classy, upstanding guy, that Paul! Of most of the Heroes, I bought at least 2: 1 for opening, 1 for displaying on the blister (plus that extra Batman I got for my brother two Christmases ago). I would have had 2 of each of these Final Wave too! A removable mask Robin!! and a Joker!! Too cool!!

Comment

• jayraytee
          Career Member
          • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Didn't it, though?

Instead of four of these great characters, we got that Matty collector wave of GL stuff as a movie tie-in.
          A crappy movie at that. Mattel made one bad move right after another, as big as they are it seems like whoever is in charge is a real boob.
          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• dr_cyclops
            One eyed, wonder
            • Dec 17, 2009

When I heard the retro heroes were being cancelled due to poor sales, I had to laugh at myself. I never saw any of these for sale except at the local Toys R Us. That was only Luthor, and Sinestro. All along, I thought that they were selling out faster than I could find them.

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by samurainoir
              Seeing that pic says to me too much concentration on the Tom Baker era. I can understand that because the Tom Baker stories were the ones that introduced Doctor Who to American fans and BBP! may have been specifically targeting that market. These are also fan choices and we know Jason is a fan. He probably grew up watching these stories with these characters. I think the figures for this line needed to be from the show more as a whole.

Making the Anti-matter guy, the Kraal, Magnus Greel, Morbius, (not pictured - Eldrad, female version), just confounds me. How can you go with these characters when so many others are more widely recognized? Why not go with another type of Cyberman, another classic companion like Sara Jane or Romana, The Brigadier or the other incarnations of The Master?

I know that getting an actor's likeness is probably harder than doing a make-up or monster character. So I assume it was easy to get Greel, Kraal, Master and Morbius but you could've gone with a generic U.N.I.T. Soldier. As popularity goes aren't Davros, the Axons, the Draconians more popular characters to go with than Greel, Weng Chiang and Mr. Sin, (Greel, Weng Chiang and Mr. Sin are all from the same story too)? Would not a 6th Doctor and Peri with the villain Sil or The Rani or The Master have generated buzz? Being a fan maybe it just boils down to my preferences over BBP! but I think more momentum would've been gained with other characters.
              Last edited by johnmiic; Jan 9, '14, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Random Axe
                From the EMCE slideshow, all indications were the new protos were miles ahead of the previous work and had some really neat choices of character. This line cancellation remains one of the greatest travesties of toy history. Mattel is still dead to me...
                Had Mattel stayed with it and done it the way they were instructed to, the line would have been the first thing since the super powers line to compare to mego's WGSH line. They screwed up the body and just like in life, first impressions can be a killer. Not saying sales would have supported it, we'll never really know that, but character selection was discussed into double digit waves. Having seen the prototypes, Scott worded it accurately. It was a travesty.
                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

I can sort of understand them wanting to use their own body for the line, but REALLY! Why didn't they get all of the bugs out of it during production? Isn't that what their quality control dept. is for?

BUT, since Doc had a perfectly good body ready, there was really no need for them to use their own design. It would have saved them quite a bit of time, effort and money; so all that they would have needed to do was produce some decent head sculpts.

They didn't need to be replicas of the old Mego designs. They could have been all new sculpts of the characters, instead of the plug ugly bits of vinyl that we got.

I will say that there were only TWO sculpts that I actually liked; Luthor and Green Arrow. That was pretty much it.

Luthor had a nice symmetrical face, with slightly chiseled cheekbones, intense eyes, and in a pinch, he could also be Professor X.

Green Arrow, was excellent as well. To this day, I have yet to remove him from the card.
                  JediJaida

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Hmmm. That's hyperbole imo: Some Mattel sculpts were excellent, most were serviceable. A few--like Black Adam & Capt. Marvel--were off-model.

I can respect Mattel for trying to tweak Mego originals, even if not always successfully. The paler, less opaque vinyl worked against some sculpts. And yes egad those bodies were awful, as was the marketing of the line.

As for new sculpts, we shall see with FTC. Batman '66 looks great, Evel not so much. And expanding a line with 40-year-old antecedents & expectations isn't easy. Famous Covers featured new sculpts, and most of them were worse than vintage Mego or Mattel imo.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 9, '14, 7:55 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• JediJaida
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 14, 2008

Mostly because of the expression on some of the faces.

Black widow had this expression on her face that made me think she was either constipated or her face was stuck on 'snarl'.
                      JediJaida

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Famous Covers suffered from trying to emulate the Manga-influenced artists that were popular at Marvel at the time. Humberto Ramos and especially Joe Maduriera (or however you spell it) come to mind. I call it the "Screaming Pinhead" line. The early figures are pretty hideous.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

I forgot about the War of the Dead figures. I was really looking forward to these.

and I don't remember this at all... this would have been cool!

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            Famous Covers suffered from trying to emulate the Manga-influenced artists that were popular at Marvel at the time. Humberto Ramos and especially Joe Maduriera (or however you spell it) come to mind. I call it the "Screaming Pinhead" line. The early figures are pretty hideous.

Chris
                            I always thought more of Rob Liefeld when I saw those sculpts. What they really suffered from is the scale communication problem with China.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Timothy2251
                              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                              • Mar 15, 2008

Desperately want that Kung-Fu Master figure.
                              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

Jason Lenzi was saying on his podcast that the first figure line they went after (even before Flash Gordon) was SPACED?! That would have been awesome. I wonder if there are pics of prototypes floating out in the ether?
                                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎