X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    For example if you want to do a character from a public domain movie like White Zombie do you still have to deal with the Lugosi estate?
    Ah, I see what you're driving at. Yeah, the film is in PD but the person's likeness isn't neccesarily so. In the case of White Zombie, Bela Jr would have your head.

Other characters? Well, that all depends on whether they have heirs who care. Bit of a crap shoot really.

If I had a choice of a PD character, I'd like to do Manos and Torgo but you really could end up getting sued by their families.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I just got a Roku player and lots and lots of PD movie channels, amazing what's out there and available. As far as big sellers, Nosferatu jumps out as a potential good one.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• tllgn
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 6, 2010

BBP has said their would be a new "8"line to go along with their other fantastic figure lines,so since their working
        on those universal lines ,lets see Carl Kolchack and some of his victims-the vampire,zombie,spanish moss monster,the
        ripper,and that Richard Keil Indian who kills for gems,

oh of course the X-files-those would be just to cool.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          I just got a Roku player and lots and lots of PD movie channels, amazing what's out there and available. As far as big sellers, Nosferatu jumps out as a potential good one.
          Yeah, thats the safe one.

Comment

• Random Axe
            The Voice of Reason
            • Apr 16, 2008

You guys are speaking monster, a language I don't understand.

I know the potential sales numbers are mostly a crapshoot and guesswork, but has anyone considered PD characters without actor likenesses? Wouldn't updates of Robin Hood, Captain Nemo, Buffalo Bill, Sherlock Holmes and others in this vein be possible if done with new, original designs? I don't know what kind of response they would get without an actor's likeness, but it seems like it could work. Had Castaway remained solvent, we would have seen a few like this.
            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

^^^

Solomon Kane
              Alan Quatermane
              Kull
              Baron Munchhausen
              Sinbad
              Merlin
              Sir Gawain
              Hercules
              Count of Monte Cristo

There could be potential there, but I'm not in the industry, so I could be very, very wrong.
              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Comix
                • May 7, 2011

Originally posted by tllgn
                BBP has said their would be a new "8"line to go along with their other fantastic figure lines,so since their working
                on those universal lines ,lets see Carl Kolchack and some of his victims-the vampire,zombie,spanish moss monster,the
                ripper,and that Richard Keil Indian who kills for gems,

oh of course the X-files-those would be just to cool.
                I would absolutely love a line of Kolchak figures. It's one of my absolute favorite shows.

But I think I may have an idea as to what the new line may be. Mind you, I have no concrete evidence to back this up with.

I think BBP's new line may be The Outer Limits. The reason I think this, outside of the fact that it fits well with most of their other lines, is that a Twilight Zone blog I follow has started making coy references to The Outer Limits.

It doesn't seem like much until you realize that he's in contact with BBP every now and then. He was aware of the Maya the Cat Girl TZ figure before it was ever announced and he got first dibs on announcing the Old Ben Alien TZ figure.

I could be way off on this for sure, but I can't get the idea out of my head now.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Random Axe
                  You guys are speaking monster, a language I don't understand.

I know the potential sales numbers are mostly a crapshoot and guesswork, but has anyone considered PD characters without actor likenesses? Wouldn't updates of Robin Hood, Captain Nemo, Buffalo Bill, Sherlock Holmes and others in this vein be possible if done with new, original designs? I don't know what kind of response they would get without an actor's likeness, but it seems like it could work. Had Castaway remained solvent, we would have seen a few like this.

If your business plan is to run a store where you sell a variety of things, much like Castaway did, then yes, this is a fun way to get people to come back again and again. You could release a new PD character like Hercules, Sherlock Holmes etc every six or so months and probably get decent incremental sales. You won't set the world on fire and 1,000 would likely be five years inventory but yeah, it's a slow and steady thing that would be fun to do.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

Kevin sorbo !!!
                    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• nobody
                      banjo!
                      • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                      Kevin sorbo !!!
                      You're the King of Resizing, I'll send you a Hercules Sorbo if that'll make it happen.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Yeah, thats the safe one.
                        And the Golem, Caligari's Cabinet, Edison's Frankenstein
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jimsmegos
                          Mego Dork
                          • Nov 9, 2008

Not sure if anyone mentioned these guys but I think it would be cool and could possibly nudge the format back into the kids market...
                          The Aquabats!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Aquabats would totally work in a Retro format, much like Venture Bros. does. My kids would like 'em.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

Never even heard of aquabats but man would they be cool figures!!!
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

I'd like to see more Western figures. Morgan and Virgil Earp to go with Wyatt. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. Billy The Kid,John Wesley Hardin and so on.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎