X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tothiro
    Kitten Mittens
    • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by MegoScott
    Clarify your measurements or terms for me? Are you saying that the Apollo head is on par with Tom Baker? From the pictures it looks much worse to me.
    Sure. Lemme clarify - BSG is on a whole new level of large, all by itself, far and away.
    I think your comparison of Brick to Baker is a good one - something a bit large you can look past. Baker just hurts me personally because it would have been my favorite remego. As much of a SW geek as I am, I'd rank right-sized-head Tom Baker on par with any Obi Wan or any Star Wars mego announcement. The likeness is "long in the face" if you will, so the fact that both the head (4cm - whereas Shazam is 3.2cm) and the total face height (2cm) measures the same as Apollo still leaves Apollo worlds larger in total scale comparison. Put Baker on a 10" body and he seems a bit small headed, not so at all with Apollo who is right at home there. So Baker is scaled for a 9" body - Apollo very definitely for a 10" one.

Originally posted by MegoScott
    And you mention Juliet from Lost. She and Claire had crazy large proto heads but I felt the final size was perfect. Are you only referring to the protos?

The skin color thing seems to be the preference at BBP, I think it kills to detail in their nice sculpts.

Is it me or do you never see crazy big heads on EMCE protos for Trek and the Monsters? Seems like they don't have to advertise so much that they are just protos and the heads will shrink.

The inexactitude of this vinyl head process is very frustrating. When I hear "you need to sculpt it 5-8% bigger" I get nervous. This isn't done by computer.
    Perhaps I've never seen a final production Juliet? Is that the deal? I had seen photos post-release that I thought were final product, but if not and the heads shrank down some amazing percentage I am unfairly maligning the figures. That's my mistake.
    Skin tone is interesting, because Brock came out kind of mego tan, and that was on model for the character. So yeah, the paler skin is probably BBP preference.

It's not done by computer, no, but any technical sculptor can make any item at any given size - you know? I mean I have a measuring stick, and I can scale my ref photo printouts to match and compare. You want something 8% larger, I can do 8% - I'm not turning in a shot in the dark with a 20% variance and saying close enough.
    The guns are dead on, and faces aren't magically different on the sculpting side, so something is going on there.
    Last edited by Tothiro; Jul 23, '12, 5:15 PM.

Comment

• Tothiro
      Kitten Mittens
      • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by BifBangPow! JLabs
      Hi Everyone! I will be the first to officially admit that I don't like the size of Apollo's head either. As for standardizing the head size, believe me, this is going to be taken very seriously going forward. As for why this happened, I can blame it on our staff of 4 (including me), tight Comic-Con deadlines, running out of time, dealing with hundreds of products, etc., etc. - yes we have plenty of excuses as to why this didn't get caught before it shipped. But these excuses don't matter in the end. We put out a less than stellar product and for that I apologize to you. I hope you enjoy the majority of our products, and we really do care about what we are making. I strive for perfection, so this bothers me personally. We are already coming up with a revised internal process to remove any chance of this happening again. Acknowledge a problem if one exists and keep improving - that's what our goal is.

Yay! Well I for one welcome our new Boomer, Lucifer, Baltar Imperious Leader, Ovion, Athena, Tigh (and Leela!) Production process =)
      (but let's not forget about the helmets and the outfits)
      Last edited by Tothiro; Jul 23, '12, 5:44 PM.

Comment

• D!n0-M@n
        w/ Life-Like Hair & Beard
        • Sep 17, 2008

Hi Everyone! I will be the first to officially admit that I don't like the size of Apollo's head either. As for standardizing the head size, believe me, this is going to be taken very seriously going forward. As for why this happened, I can blame it on our staff of 4 (including me), tight Comic-Con deadlines, running out of time, dealing with hundreds of products, etc., etc. - yes we have plenty of excuses as to why this didn't get caught before it shipped. But these excuses don't matter in the end. We put out a less than stellar product and for that I apologize to you. I hope you enjoy the majority of our products, and we really do care about what we are making. I strive for perfection, so this bothers me personally. We are already coming up with a revised internal process to remove any chance of this happening again. Acknowledge a problem if one exists and keep improving - that's what our goal is.
        I've always felt Bif-Bang-Pow! was a class act and I still do. I'm very excited about these new lines, especially the SMDM! Speaking for myself as a huge fan of BBP, I personally appreciate the acknowledgments of the concerns addressed here and hope they can all be nailed down asap. I also wish BBP great success in all these new lines as well as any & all of their future endeavors.
        MY GODS ARE SMALL...... AND PLASTIC!

Comment

• JediJaida
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 14, 2008

I'm glad to know that our concerns are being taken seriously.

Squishy, pale, waxy complexioned, overly large noggins and all.

On the bright side, at least the bodies are made of sturdier stuff than original Megos, able to stand unaided and all. Okay, they're strung a smidge tight, but that can be taken care of.

If there's a reissue of the first four figures in Wave 1, let me know.
          JediJaida

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

Oof. Thanks for chiming in, Jason. I'm glad BBP realizes what's wrong, no use pretending the problem's not there. I wish it could be fixed, this is a real heartbreaker. Top 5 Mego dream licenses.
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

i respect BBP! just for the fact they chime in here with fans,every company makes mistakes,it's ignoring the problems,not giving a damn what consumers think, and not fixing them for future product that's wrong.So thank you for that

Comment

• boss
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 18, 2003

good to hear. My advice would be to sub out the heads and outfits to Doc. With the exception of the Pike head, he gets the coloring and size as close to what us mego-fanatics prefer.
                Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• nobody
                  banjo!
                  • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by boss
                  good to hear. My advice would be to sub out the heads and outfits to Doc. With the exception of the Pike head, he gets the coloring and size as close to what us mego-fanatics prefer.
                  BBP, it's definetly time to bring Boss and Toth on board!

Comment

• Teemu
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by JediJaida
                    I'm glad to know that our concerns are being taken seriously.

Squishy, pale, waxy complexioned, overly large noggins and all.

On the bright side, at least the bodies are made of sturdier stuff than original Megos, able to stand unaided and all. Okay, they're strung a smidge tight, but that can be taken care of.

If there's a reissue of the first four figures in Wave 1, let me know.
                    Here! Here!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

It's refreshing to see Jason post here and acknowledge the problems without getting defensive or making excuses. That says volumes on BBP's commitment to improving their product.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• jimsmegos
                        Mego Dork
                        • Nov 9, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^^
                        This is why you folks will always have my respect. You face problems head on and aren't scared of honest critiques. You will always have my support and cash as I have it to share Long live Bif Bang Pow!

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

As for why this happened, I can blame it on our staff of 4 (including me), tight Comic-Con deadlines, running out of time, dealing with hundreds of products, etc., etc. - yes we have plenty of excuses as to why this didn't get caught before it shipped. But these excuses don't matter in the end. We put out a less than stellar product and for that I apologize to you.
                          Thanks Jason. I'm still going to buy these, ...errrr, when I get a job again.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

I'll buy the Cylons. For one, I can't resist a Cylon figure, and two, we should support the line even though part 1 wasn't perfect.
                            Star Trek Next Generation season 1 was bad, but we kept watching and the series turned out great.
                            It would be cool to see a modified series 1 somewhere along the line, though.
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                              I'll buy the Cylons. For one, I can't resist a Cylon figure, and two, we should support the line even though part 1 wasn't perfect.
                              Star Trek Next Generation season 1 was bad, but we kept watching and the series turned out great.
                              It would be cool to see a modified series 1 somewhere along the line, though.
                              Sorry, but I don't go in for that sort of thing. I was on the fence on this line and wasting 80 bucks or so on the first botched wave to "support the company" is not a great idea imo. Same goes for the 6MDM line that doesn't look like Lee Majors.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Jerry68
                                Persistent Member
                                • Feb 12, 2008

Thanks for acknowledging the issue! Can you correct this in time for a second wave?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎